rdubhokie

I recall in Outlook 2003 that the Reminder Window had two headers: "Subject"

& "Reminder Time". Since being upgraded to Outlook 2007 last week, I noticed

that the Reminder Window now has these two headers: "Subject" & "Due In". Is

there away to swap out the "Due In" header and replace it with the "Reminder

Time" header?

Thanks.

Diane, thanks for your quick response.

I will concede that I remembered wrong as to the available columns.

However, it seems that the calculation of "overdue" is different. In 2003,

it was calculating "overdue" against the Reminder Date/Time and in 2007 it is

calculating "overdue" against the Due Date/Time. I would still like for 2007

to calculate "overdue" against the Reminder Date/Time. Is there a way to

specify how Outlook performs that calculation?

E.g. (I don't care that my due date is in 4 days, but I do care that my

reminder triggered 2 hours ago.)

Thanks again for your help.

SP2 changed how the due time is listed for tasks. It ignores the time set on

the item and uses the end of the workday as set in tools, options, calendar

options. Other item types should use the due date as defined by the

reminder, only tasks are using the end of the day.

(I lied, outlook 2007 is on the bottom in the screenshot.)

--

Outlook Tips: Welcome to Outlook Tips
Outlook and Exchange Solutions Center - Slipstick Systems

I don't think I've adequately described my issue. Here is an example.

Example:

I have a Task set with a due date of 7/13/09 (due time is not relevant to

how I'm using Tasks). The Reminder is set for 7/8/09 at 11:00 AM. The 2007

reminder window is showing the Task as Due in "4 days". In 2003, the

reminder window would be showing the Task as Due in "22 hours overdue".

Using the example above, is there a way for me to reconfigure the 2007

reminder window to show Due in "22 hours overdue" instead of Due in "4 days".

Thanks.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

news:eVqU2hJAKHA.4432@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> BTW - here is a screenshot of the new behavior - this is what you are seeing
> now.
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2009/23.htm

Hmm. Where does the "two hours" come from? If the reminder fires at 10:00 AM

and the task is due at 5:00 PM, then the "Due in" should be seven hours,

shouldn't it?

--

So... is that the end of discussion?

I haven't figured it out either for the last 7 months. A few months ago, I

thought it was based on the end of day setup as Diane indicated, however the

screen shot disproves that theory. Also, I have my day end at six p.m. and

my tasks reiminders follow no logic as described that I've been able to pin

down.

That Tasks and reminder window are very nice features... I wish they would

work right.

"Brian Tillman " wrote:

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:eVqU2hJAKHA.4432@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> > BTW - here is a screenshot of the new behavior - this is what you are seeing
> > now.
> > http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2009/23.htm

> Hmm. Where does the "two hours" come from? If the reminder fires at 10:00 AM
> and the task is due at 5:00 PM, then the "Due in" should be seven hours,
> shouldn't it?
> >

>

First, apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just stumbled on it and it discusses an issue which has been bugging me for many years:

The pop-up reminder window displayed by Outlook 2000 shows the reminder date, not the due date, and it shows the task as "overdue" even if the due date is several days in the future. Is there any way to fix reminders so that they show the due date and don't indicate "overdue" unless the task is really overdue (i.e. the due date/time has passed)?

I'm still using Outlook 2000, but from rdubhokie's first two messages in this thread it would appear that this bug may have been fixed in Outlook 2007. Can anyone confirm this? (I consider it a bug, but apparently rdubhokie liked it the way it was.)

BTW, the "Outlook Today" window correctly shows a task in red (i.e. overdue) only if its due date/time has passed.

Thanks,

WW

The behavior was changed in outlook 2007 to not mark tasks overdue when the reminder fired. They now are overdue based on the due date.

The difference between the reminder and the Outlook Today screen is that the OT screen shows the actual task while the reminder window shows when the reminder is due - if the reminder is not dismissed, its overdue.

I actually prefer this behavior too - if i set a reminder for 8 am, it should show as overdue at 9 am, even if the actual due time is not until 5 pm.

The behavior was changed in outlook 2007 to not mark tasks overdue when the reminder fired. They now are overdue based on the due date.

The difference between the reminder and the Outlook Today screen is that the OT screen shows the actual task while the reminder window shows when the reminder is due - if the reminder is not dismissed, its overdue.

I actually prefer this behavior too - if i set a reminder for 8 am, it should show as overdue at 9 am, even if the actual due time is not until 5 pm.

Thanks, Diane. I don't know why you want the reminder to be considered overdue at 9am, but to each his/her own. When I create a task I specify a due date for the task, not for the reminder, and to me the word "overdue" means the due date which I specified has passed.

Moreover, I'd like to see the due date in the reminder. I don't see the point of displaying the reminder date. The whole purpose of a reminder is to remind me that the task needs to be done by a certain date - the due date, which I may have forgotten - so that's the date which should appear in the reminder. I usually schedule a reminder several days ahead of the due date and often "snooze" the reminder one or more times, so my reminders are usually "overdue" simply because the initial reminder time has already passed. Does the due date appear in Outlook 2007 reminder pop-ups, or must one go to the list of reminders (or open the item itself) to see the due date?

Guess it's time for me to upgrade to a newer version of Office. However, one comment in your post of 07-09-2009 09:04 AM still worries me. You said "Other item types should use the due date as defined by the reminder, only tasks are using the end of the day." Does this mean that reminders for appointments in Outlook 2007 will become "overdue" one hour after the reminder time, even if the appointment is still in the future? (Needless to say, I hope not.)

BTW, do you know the answer to the question Brian Tillman raised in his post of 07/09/2009? Might it be that the "Reminders" window was opened at 3pm? If so, the task was indeed due in 2 hours.

Thanks again for your help.

WW

No, not appointments - they use the start time to determine overdue. To the best of my recollection, I meant Contacts, journal, and notes that are flagged with reminders.

Status
Not open for further replies.