Status
Not open for further replies.

airpreston

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Greetings!

I'm using OL 2010. Though I'm very proficient with Outlook, I've run into a problem with custom forms. When choosing to create a new "Contact from same company" from the "Save and New" drop down button, a new contact screen pops up ready for me to fill in. The company name, phone and fax numbers, and web site address are already populated from the original contact at the same company. However, I have created some new fields that will also apply to any new contact created for that, or any other company within the database. Therefore, I want to not only populate the standard fields I listed, but also the additional fields that I have created for the company.

For instance, I created a field that indicates the "parent corporation" of the contact. That information will not change from contact to contact within the same company. For each contact, I have roughly six of these unchanging elements that I'd like to populate each time I choose to add a new contact by clicking "Contact from the same company".

I would greatly appreciate any information that can be sent my way. This is a great forum and I learned the ropes of Outlook here many years ago.

Cheers!

Re: Copying additional contact fields when chosing "Contact from the same comp

Thanks! I appreciate any help you can offer.

I wasn't able to find any code samples but according to my developer friend, you can do it with VBA, but if you plan to deploy it to many users, you should create a com addin.

He says:

A NewInspector() handler could be set up to check for new instances of a contact Inspector with that custom MessageClass. The handler could find the original item from the same company and read off the custom values from UserProperties and set the corresponding fields in the new item.

That wasn't quite how i envisioned it - I was thinking the VBA could read the custom fields in the selected contact and populate the new one with them.

Better / easier might be to use a toolbar button instead of the new contact for company button -that way you dont have to check for message class - the VBA knows you want to copy those fields to a new contact.

My other thought was vbscript in the custom form but vbscript doesn't support everything VBA does and may not be able to handle it, especially passing the values to the new contact.

Thanks for the info, Diane! I think you are way more advanced in understanding this than I am. For as proficient as I am with using Outlook (tweaking the interface, utilizing add-ins, etc) I've never delved into the realm of writing scripts and what not. Do you have any other suggestions or assistance that you can provide? It would be epic appreciated! This seems like such a reasonably simple task that you would assume it would be something one could adjust within Outlook settings.

Thanks!

-Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
R VBA for copying sent email to current folder under a shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
E Copying the whole e-mail body into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Copying data from e-mail attachement to EXCEL file via macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 38
T Copying Outlook Account Setup For Desktop App Using Outlook 5
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
Thiago Manzano Copying E-mails to a folder on HD Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Mark Sent Items as Read After Copying with a Rule Using Outlook 0
crazyboy Copying BCM database from backed up mounted image to new drive BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
oliv- Prevent copying shared contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Paul Butticaz Copying Contacts from SharePoint List (connected to Outlook) to another Conacts folder Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 Not responding after IMAP folder deletion or copying. Using Outlook 2
Mary B Outlook 2013: Rule for copying new email to folder & marking that copy as read Using Outlook 1
S Calendar items are not being uploaded to outlook.com after copying Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
P open reminders missing after copying outlook pst file Using Outlook 2
L Copying Emails using drag and drop Using Outlook 2
O New to Outlook 2013, dealing with copying vs. moving sent items Using Outlook 0
S Recover messages that disappeared when copying to folder Using Outlook 1
S Copying multiple messages to folders and keeping date/time detail Using Outlook 1
D Copying POP3 folders from Inbox to IMAP Inbox in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
M Copying setups for mutiple users Using Outlook 2
T Location and simple copying of emails and settings, OL 2010 and Win 7 64bit. Using Outlook 3
A Copying cc email addresses to Excel - does not copy the <joe.bloggs@isp.com> Using Outlook 1
S Search Indexing (Copying Folders) Using Outlook 0
E Copying multiple folders to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Copying data between atbs in a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R copying a custom view from a public folder and distributing programatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N error when copying outlook data "can not copy: the path too deep" Using Outlook 6
N Copying outlook macros between pcs Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Copying Data from Exchange to PST file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Copying contents from one field to another field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Outlook 2016 Arrange tasks by date, additional custom sorting, but still use friendly terms like Today, Tomorrow, This week? Using Outlook 1
W Inserting Additional Email Address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Copy additional IMAP accounts into Oulook 365 Account Exchange Server Administration 4
D Create additional custom flag descriptions (other than Send E-Mail, Call etc.) Using Outlook 1
S VBA to modify appointment item in additional Exchange account doesn't work Using Outlook 0
W How to export additional fields in contacts Using Outlook 1
B Sharing Additional Calendars Using Outlook 1
B Searching OWA Additional Mailbox - in which Secondary folder is the email? Using Outlook 1
J “additional” mailbox cannot be removed from an Outlook 2007 client’s mailbox Exchange Server Administration 1
T Changing default reminder time for all day events - additional help needed Using Outlook 1
T OL 2010 Additional and Seperate Contacts/Address books. Using Outlook 12
U Cached mode additional mailboxes Using Outlook 2
B Populating Additional Outlook Column with Date \ Time Using Outlook 0
C Include additional contact folders in user's Outlook Address Book centrally by Exchange Server Administration 4
L outlook additional mailbox's files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L How add additional addressess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Outlook 2021 Add Picture to Custom Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
AndyZ Contact Custom Form Tiny Text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3