Outlook automatically reads messages that I have not even seen yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

I have recently installed Outlook 2010 (I have Win7) and I've been having this problem for about a month now. Many times, new messages that come in just suddenly become marked as read (NON BOLD) without me even having seen the message. It is causing so much trouble because it makes me miss a lot of emails lately. Yesterday, I was out and when I came back today, half my emails from yesterday were marked as read. It is so frustrating!

I did not set any rules whatsoever. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I already tried looking for solutions online but have found none. :(

Are you syncing with any devices? That is the usual cause of this behavior.

I used to, but I never read from my mobile phone. I just deleted my mail account on my mobile so it no longer syncs. Is there any other possible cause and solution?

it happens because something is reading the message - in addition to phones, it can be antivirus/antispam or other addins or even another outlook downloading mail on another computer.

Close outlook ans restart in safe mode - to do this, hold CTRL as you click the shortcut to start it. (A message will come up asking if you want to start in safe mode.) Does the problem happen? If the problem goes away, its an addin causing the problems. Go to File, Options, Addins to see what you have installed. click the Go button at the bottom to open the dialog you'll use to disable ones you think might be the cause - its rarely the Microsoft addins.

it happens because something is reading the message - in addition to phones, it can be antivirus/antispam or other addins or even another outlook downloading mail on another computer.

Close outlook ans restart in safe mode - to do this, hold CTRL as you click the shortcut to start it. (A message will come up asking if you want to start in safe mode.) Does the problem happen? If the problem goes away, its an addin causing the problems. Go to File, Options, Addins to see what you have installed. click the Go button at the bottom to open the dialog you'll use to disable ones you think might be the cause - its rarely the Microsoft addins.
I took your advice and deleted the Norton 360 add-in that, I think was opening mail. That worked for most of my new mail. Unfortunately, it re-loads itself every time I close Outlook. I have Outlook 2013 , POP3 , and, unfortunately, Win 8.1. I have no other phones, tablets, etc that could be reading my mail. Any other ideas?

Did you disable email integration in Norton? If disabling the outlook addin won't keep it off, do it from Norton's options.

Did you disable email integration in Norton? If disabling the outlook addin won't keep it off, do it from Norton's options.

Diane
Thanks for the advice. Finally got Norton to quit opening my mail. Unfortunately my wife and I share the same mail address and when she opens her Live Mail and I'm not on-line with my laptop, all mail is marked as read in Outlook when I open it. This happens even if she doesn't open the individual mails. But, if we both are on any new mails do show as unread until I open them. Very frustrating. I think I'll try Thunderbird and if that doesn't work any better, I'm going to take the big step and try to switch my new laptop back to Win 7.

Thanks for your help.

Are you using POP3? If you use EAS/Outlook connector or IMAP they should only be marked as read if you read them. When POP3 downloads mail, it is marked as read on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Z Automatically adjust Outlook Reading Pane from bottom to right depending on portrait or landscape window Using Outlook 1
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 automatically increment anniversaries Using Outlook 1
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
N how to sync automatically when outlook opens Using Outlook 10
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
stephen li VBA Outlook send mail automatically by specified outlook mail box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Automatically selecting folders and deleting messages in Outlook VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
M Outlook 2016 Rules Not Working Automatically Using Outlook 5
T Outlook 2010 emails do not refresh automatically Exchange Server Administration 1
Angger Microsoft Outlook 2010 Automatically Restarting Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Shared appointments automatically to Private Calendar Using Outlook 1
M Automatically move Outlook message to the specific folder when click on reply to all Using Outlook 4
I Automatically updates outlook 2011 address book Using Outlook 1
D Printing Attachments Automatically in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2007 - Reading Pane Automatically Downloads First/Topmost Message Using Outlook 4
J Email won't send Automatically in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
W Change Template Recipient Automatically - Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 5
A How to move responded emaisl automatically to sub folders in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
J outlook rule doesn't run automatically Using Outlook 0
E Automatically move to other Folder from Inbox when mail comes - MS Outlook Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2007 not automatically receiving emails into the inbox Using Outlook 3
J Outlook Invites automatically adding 'Required Attendees' Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Not Recieiving Emails Automatically, Have tohit Send / Recieve Using Outlook 1
C Can you have Outlook automatically accept Tasks for you? Using Outlook 7
N How to automatically update all fields in an Outlook message template (OFT)? Using Outlook 9
C Outlook Automatically Change "From" address based on "To" address Using Outlook 4
L Anyway to Display entire category list in Outlook 2007 automatically? Using Outlook 1
C Refresh IMAP folder list automatically OUTLOOK 2010 Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2007 with BCM - Tasks being created automatically BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G Outlook 2003 - automatically deleting inbox msg after reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook rules not running automatically Using Outlook 11
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5