Email Header/People pane/contact card - GAL photo vs. contact photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

peedoe

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have added photos to many of my contacts for use both in my email as well as having them sync to my android phone. Company has now added photos to the GAL and I would like to know how to pick which photo is being displayed. I want to set it so that the GAL photo is the one displayed, if there is one, and if not and I have a photo in the contact, display that.

Currently, I use the preview pane on the bottom. When I get an internal email, I see the sender's GAL photo in the message header, but see my contact photo in the people pane. Also, when I hover over their email address in the header, the contact card pops up, initially showing the GAL photo, but almost instantly switches to the contact photo.

How do I set it to always show the GAL photo if one exists?

TIA,

Peedoe

I'm not sure if you can control that - the way i read it at How to manage the Outlook Social Connector by using Group Policy, the people pane only uses local contacts.

"If the contact details are stored only in Active Directory, the People Pane does not display the contact details. This can be seen in the following figure where the first contact's photo, company name and title are not displayed."

Maybe I'm misreading it and it's only when not using cached mode. I guess the big thing is, do you see the gal photo in the people pane if you click on the photo to show more.

No. Here is scenario.

I use preview pane below message list.

I select/open an email (shows same in open message as preview pane).

In the message header, I see the GAL photo as a large thumbnail and one or more small thumbnails in the people pane at the bottom of the email. The photo of the sender in the people pane at the bottom is my contact photo for them (if they have one). If I enlarge the people pane to show the larger thumbnails, the thumbnail in the header disappears and I am left with only a larget contact photo thumbnail in the people pane.

If I hover over the sender's name, I also get my contact photo thumbnail on their mini contact card. I get the same mini contact card if I right click the larger thumbnail picture in the header as well.

There has to be some kind of setting somewhere that controls which picture is displayed???? I really don't want to remove all of my contact photos as the GAL photos don't sync to my phone and I like having the picture when the phone rings.

TIA,

Peedoe

Any further thoughts on this? I don't mean to hijack the intent of the original question, but the behavior of Outlook 2013 with respect to displaying contact photos has totally changed compared to Outlook 2010.

In 2010, if I had added to my Outlook contacts folder a contact from the GAL, my personal copy of that contact is what Outlook referred to when the contact info was shown in the People Pane and at the top of incoming emails (including the photo, if I had one. Now that is not the case - it is using the GAL copy of the contact and ignoring my local copy altogether (unlike the OP, in my case we have no photos in the GAL).

The only exception I've found is when I create a new email using my copy of the contact. Only then does Outlook use that info, including the photo.

It seems like the order in which names are resolved for the purpose of showing contact information has changed in Outlook 2013. In Outlook 2010 if the contact name was in my personal Contacts folder that is what Outlook used, even for new incoming messages. Now it appears the name is resolved first from the GAL, which effectively renders my personal contact list somewhat useless. In fact, when I open contact card from an incoming email, almost none of the GAL information appears. So irrespective of how photos are handled, how Outlook 2013 handles this is troubling.

I would love to hear what others are experiencing. BTW, I'm using the RTM version of the product.

Thanks.

I will look into it - i know it handles contact photos a little differently. There is a registry key (group policy) that blocks the gal photos. I'm not sure if it will help you or not though - i think your problem is that the contact is linked ot the gal and outlook is ignoring the local contact and going for the gal.

Are you using the same profile as you used before? If so, the address resolution should be the same - default is to start with the gal. Verify it in Address book's Tools, Options.

Policy descriptions:

This policy setting controls the order of sources for photos displayed in Outlook.

If you enable this policy setting, Outlook will first look at the OAB/AD for the user photo. If this is not available, Outlook will show a Contact photo if the Contact photo is available.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Outlook will first look into the Contact Address Books for the user photo. If this is not available, Outlook will look to the OAB/AD if available.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\outlook\

DWORD: preferadphotos

Data 1 = use gal first

Thanks for responding Diane. Yes, I am using the same profile as with Outlook 2010. I had first upgraded to the Preview version of Office 2013, then uninstalled it and installed the RTM version. My profile stayed the same throughout.

I checked and the key you described does not exist in the registry. I have also set the order of address resolution in the Address Book tools/options to select from my local contacts first, but that doesn't change how Outlook is working with respect to contact photos. And it's not just the photos - it's all the information I used to get by hovering over a contact name in an email (like the sender's name) that no longer appears. It's simply not picking it up from my local contacts the way it did in Outlook 2010.

Thanks for responding Diane. Yes, I am using the same profile as with Outlook 2010. I had first upgraded to the Preview version of Office 2013, then uninstalled it and installed the RTM version. My profile stayed the same throughout.

I checked and the key you described does not exist in the registry. I have also set the order of address resolution in the Address Book tools/options to select from my local contacts first, but that doesn't change how Outlook is working with respect to contact photos. And it's not just the photos - it's all the information I used to get by hovering over a contact name in an email (like the sender's name) that no longer appears. It's simply not picking it up from my local contacts the way it did in Outlook 2010.

I am having this exact same issue. When I switch out of Cached Mode, all pictures work as expected. Switch to cached mode and all pictures and info in the contact card are again missing. This appears to be only affecting the "From" field in a received message. The TO and/or CC fields show contact info and pics in the bottom.

Another thing I noticed is that if I right click on the contact in the From field (with just the dispaly name) and choose "add to contacts" even though the name was filled out in the "add" form, when I look in my contacts, that user is added with all of the info from the GAL EXCEPT for the name field which is blank. (see attachments below):

OL1.jpg OL2.jpg OL3.jpg

Even if I add the proper name in, it neve links to the "From" field in email.

Again, as soon as I switch out of cached mode, everything works fine.

Our backend is Exchange 2007 SP3

Any info is appreicated! Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.