Outlook Add-In That Calculates Time Based on Area Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalDawn

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Is there an Outlook Add-In that can tell you the time or time zone for a contact based on their area code?

DigitalDawn

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Diane,

That's a great start.

I can't take credit for the basic idea though. Back in the mid to late 80's there used to be a PIM/Business Directory called Hotline. This DOS program (which was distributed on 5.25" floppies) would tell you your contact's local time based on their Area Code. Of course, this was before cell phones, so number portability wasn't an issue back then.

If someone (like you) could write an add-in using ZIP code data instead, I'm sure a bunch of people, including myself, would purchase it.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I think it would sell well too. In my searches for web sites that brought up the TZ, i found a windows program that does lookups, but it's not integrated with outlook. It's basically a local version of the websites, but for $25.

DigitalDawn

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
There's also this program. I've been using it for years and it's a nice little app. Perhaps you can work with them to integrate their data.

http://www.getzips.com/

If you do manage to get this to work, I have only one request. Please, please make it compatible with Outlook 2007 :)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That's the app I found last night. I wonder if it supports command lines... or if the hotkeys can be controlled by VBA.

I can copy the zip code to the clipboard using VBA- that is like 3 lines of code, then use SendKeys to initiate the hotkey. Sendkeys is messy, but if it's the only way, it will work.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Oh, I know those guys. Their Shortkeys program is pretty nice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.