Status
Not open for further replies.

Surendra

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi Guys,

I am running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 on my various and multiple computers (desktop, laptops).

About a month ago, Outlook started giving errors (ondifferent accounts):

1. Error 0x80042108 - Receiving error - cannot connect to your incomimng (POP3) email server

2. Error 0x800CCC80 - None of Authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your receiving server

There had beenno change to any mail settings and everything was working for years. The errors keep irrespective of the machine, user account (all family user accounts are withYahoo Mail) or even on a new computer where Outlook 2010 gets installed and configured to connect to Yahoo Mail.

Reading Help pages on Yahoo Mail came across a new stateemnt and advice. It reads something like this. Few applications ..., OUTLOOK ... does not work well with Yahoo Mail. It requires a 2nd level security to be installed and a special one time password to be generated fromYahoo Mail. Use this specialpassword in Outlook user account setting. No need to remember this password. WOW there is anindication about things going south between Yahoo and Microsoft.

Anyway did as advised. Results. (A) Outlook still does not work with Yahoo Mail. (B): Browsers like IE, Firefox stopped working with Yahoo Mail and (b) email agents oniPhone and Samsung galaxy S3 also stopped working with Yahoo Mail.

Reverted back. Removed 2nd level security from Yahoo account. Browsers and mobuile agents started working with Yahoo Mail again! Phew!

Contacted Yahoo Customer Help with the above errors and the failure for last one month. NO RESPONSE. They replied promptly when put a query "how to resolve network / conenctivity errors?' - just to check this support model!

Searched internet and found a news re Yahoo Mail.

YAHOO has redesigned /changed Yahoo Mail about a month ago. It is to resemble GMAIL. The Yahoo Mail has stopped working for thousands of users. It has been working for all the years till now. This change will upset Yahoo's millions of loyal users. It is a bad move and could prove a watershed for the new CEO who had been able to remarkably turned around Yahoo finacial position. Yahoo should revert the Mail design changes or risk loosing millions of users!

THIS SEEMS TO BE CAUSE. DOES THIS MEAN YAHOO AND MICROSOFT HAVE FALLEN APART AND YAHOO IS AT MICROSOFT. Can someone research and provide answers?

Being totally frustrated, Looked at internet for alternative email clients for Windows 7 platform. Found Mozella Thunderbird as the most favourable client in the community. Just instaleld it and managed to export all the emails from (Inbox and folders - not Sentbox fromOutlook to Thunderbird.

If the experts incommunity can provide solution, it would seem either I move from Yahoo Mail(too muchupheaval for anyone) or move away from Outlook (my favourite for decades).

Please HELP.

Attachments

• Outlook Error #1.jpg
    Outlook Error #1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Outlook Error #2.jpg
    Outlook Error #2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 636
Yeah, I know, but i can't test POP3 since I don't pay for a premium account and that is the only way to get POP access to yahoo in the US if your internet provider doesn't offer it. :( I know the servers were down for some 40 hours last week, but as far as i know, that is all fixed now.

Is this a yahoo account through your internet provider? (eg, they don't have their own servers, all subscribers get a premium yahoo account).

There is no reason why POP3 won't work in Outlook. If you enabled 2 factor authentication, you'll need that code as your password in Outlook and probably on the devices. Browsers can use a text message code sent to your phone.

This works for sending, at least here in the us:

Outgoing Server – smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Port – 587 (requires SSL/TLS or Auto)

Outgoing server tab: use outgoing authentication, same as incoming mail. <== if this is not set, it could result in the second error you received.

As an FYI, if you use imap, changes made on one device sync to all devices - deletions, marked read etc. For this reason, it's recommended when you use multiple devices.

Hi Diane

My issue is with POP. For IMAP access I use Browsers. Both Samsung Galaxy, iPhone email clients works okay with POP3 and with Yahoo Mail.

The issue is Outlook connecting to Yahoo Mail thru POP3

I see you are making lot of assumptions. If you have read carefully my post, looked at the images of the error messages and the known about the recent design change by Yahoo, your replies would had to be completely different. You have not tested (or cannot test), you cannot have the knowledge and experience of the issue. Let me explain two factor authentication. Firstly it on only for access to highly secure system. Yahoo mil is a 'general public use' system. Another basic point is that two factor Authentication never ever use a fixed password. So it is illogical for anyone to even think about putting it on system like Yahoo Mail. It will close the access completely for all other devices. Sorry for saying all this.

Just a food for thought. Why Yahoo is listing (Please check Yahoo HELP) Outlook now with applications that do not work well with Yahoo Mail now?

I just want to save your time.

PS: You might have guessed it now that I am an IT guy I won't seek help if I could solve it. Please research and TEST first before putting a response.

I read your post and looked at the screenshots and compared them to errors I can trigger with different settings. I also looked into the recent changes with yahoo and enabled two factor auth on my account. (I already use it on gmail & outlook.com). Two factor auth is not just for highly secure mail systems, it's actually perfect for general use systems where accounts are often hijacked by spammers - it makes it harder to compromise the account using phishing. It doesn't close the system to other devices, although it is a little inconvenient as you need to receive a pin code or use an app password.

Do you have a url where Yahoo says Outlook won't work? This page says Outlook is a convenient way to view your emails offline

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN15165

I read your post and looked at the screenshots and compared them to errors I can trigger with different settings. I also looked into the recent changes with yahoo and enabled two factor auth on my account. (I already use it on gmail & outlook.com). Two factor auth is not just for highly secure mail systems, it's actually perfect for general use systems where accounts are often hijacked by spammers - it makes it harder to compromise the account using phishing. It doesn't close the system to other devices, although it is a little inconvenient as you need to receive a pin code or use an app password.

Do you have a url where Yahoo says Outlook won't work? This page says Outlook is a convenient way to view your emails offline

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN15165

I never said Yahoo stated Outlook won't work. BUT it did stopped working now. The problem started when last month I went to USA and started Outlook on my personal laptop that I have been using before leaving.

I do not want to enable 2nd level security and Yahoo App passwords. I have laptop, desktop, iPhone, Samsung S3, iPad 3, Google Nexus Pad - too many App passwords to add to a long list of existing passwords.

I have checked many times the POP3 and SMTP settings in Outlook. They are correct. My password is correct and it still works on all other devices and apps on them. Please advise if you have a solution to those errors that I am now getting on Outlook. Note: Google Thunderbird works okay wit POP3 and SMTP with same settings!

Thanks in advance

Are you using port 110 or 995? Use 995 and SSL for incoming, 587 and TLS for outgoing (or 465 and SSL).

I was using defaults. Changed Incoming port to 995 & SSL, outgoing to 465 & SSL.

WOW - You are a CHAMP.

Just one issue. Outlook is not downloading emails received from 21 Nov (when it all started) til the outlook test message of today. Any tip?

I had sent the same query to Yahoo mail. They thanked me for being a long time customer and thy gave standard (old) config. Very frustrating and disappointing. Yahoo should have sent an email to all its customers advising Mail Design change and the new config. Already had more than 1 month problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.