HomeTab Email filter "Greyed Out" in Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
As confirmed in a previous post I have successfully migrated 6 users across to hosted Exchange 2013 from an IMAP account. Five of the users have Outlook 2010 and one has Outlook 2013. The user with Outlook 2013 cannot use the email filter on the Home Tab as its greyed out whilst the other can use the filter.

I have searched the internet and found lots of people complaining about the problem on Outlook 201o but not 2013. However I believe Outlook 2013 handles exchange slightly differently to 2010?

Some people resolved the problem by enabling Cached Mode. Others have referred to a search option which was not installed.
Before I start changing things are there some pointers on what I should be checking?
Many thanks
Fozzie

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Because you mention migrating from imap, i wonder if the root cause is the same as for this problem: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/delete-button-missing-outlooks-inbox/ - basically, the folder properties from the imap account are copied to the folder when its exported to exchange and the folder thinks its an imap account. It's not a problem that is unique to Outlook 2013, but more people are complaining about it these days. The easiest way to confirm it is to check the Change View button - if you have imap views, outlook thinks its an imap folder.

I'm working on a macro that will reset the folder type so you don't need to use mfcmapi.

Fozzie Bear

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Thanks Again Diane,
I just wanted to report back that I have indirectly fixed the problem. I was also trying to resolve another issue where the user could not attach documents from a network share. She could see the files but when selecting them was notified by an error message that she didn't have the correct permissions. It occurred to me that when she started Outlook 2013 she always got the UAC prompt which was unusual as the same did not occur when launching Word, Excel or other office applications. I looked at the shortcut properties and sure enough Run as Administrator was checked. Removing this stopped the UAC prompt and allowed her to attach files from the share as she was logged in as the local user. As a spin off the Filter button was no longer greyed out and now accessible.
Another possible fix to add to your FAQs ;)
Fozzie

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thanks for the update. Run as Administrator causes a lot of problems - almost as much as compatibility mode does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Forwarding email based on the attachment file type and specific text found on the attachment file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Forward incoming email with 4 embedded images in the body without original sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
W Macro to Filter Based on Latest Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
G Place jpg in body of email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
N Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
HarvMan Toggle between calendar and email in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 12
F Email being marked as Spam by Gmail and not being visible in Outlook Using Outlook 5
G Email time stamp Using Outlook 2
G Schedule recurring email and attachments display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Need to Copy an email to a subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
K Multiple Rules on Single Email Using Outlook 2
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How to set default email address for website links Using Outlook 3
O Same email address, same person, names in so many ways Using Outlook 4
D Create new email from the received Email Body with attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
D Outlook launch email showing new unread email in reading pane Using Outlook 11
B Zoom automatically next email item (VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Outlook adds space to rows in HTML email signatures viewed on mobile Using Outlook 1
M HTML email signature in Outlook Using Outlook 3
M Respond to Outlook Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
U Outlook locking up when replying to Email Using Outlook 7
S Email Generated from another program and then edited sends original email. Using Outlook 2
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
T Original email text not shown when replying or forwarding the email. Using Outlook 6
H Search Email Header for Content Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
D auto forward base on email address in body email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P How did hacker cause link to delete and archive containing email? Using Outlook 6
I 'quote marks' around email name Using Outlook 1
N contact list seen in Contact folder but knot in Address book or when 'TO' button is clicked in new email Using Outlook 0
T Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 0
P i-Phone 6s Plus receiving 2 notifications from Outlook email Using Outlook 1
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
T Why is every new email pinned (to keep it on top)? Windows 10 Using Outlook 6
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 2
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
R Auto Assign Category colours to Incoming Emails based on whom the email is addressed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook email to configure setup for each mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Macro to extract email addresses of recipients in current drafted email and put into clipboard Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Is there an ID field you can use to pair a reply to the sent email? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Auto Run VBA Code on new email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1