"Normal" Style Changes When Replying

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsomep

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I am using Outlook 2007 and I when I reply to certain emails, I notice that my "normal" style sometimes gets "hijacked" by the sender's configuration I'm guessing. In many cases the fact that I have Outlook configured to always use my fonts under Personal Stationary overrides any issues, but one exception is when the "normal" style gets reconfigured (by the sender's configuration?) such that the "style for following paragraph" changes from "normal" (the way I have it set) to "no spacing". In these cases I lose the font color formatting when I press enter (and the style changes to "no spacing"). Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Also, when it comes to styles and personal stationary, it seems both have ability to configure fonts it is not really clear to me which of the two take priority?

Finally, is it normal that you cannot edit and then save a style such that new documents can make use of the edited style?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. These questions have been bothering me for some time.

That is normal - outlook uses the sender's format when replying to messages that use stationery or include specific CSS. When the CSS is not included in the message (which should be messages that use the default outlook stationery settings), outlook will use your font/styles for the reply.

If you use stationery, outlook will use it for new messages only, not on replies. If the stationery has a font assigned in CSS, stationery's font is used, otherwise it uses the Body font. The body font is used for replies when a font is not specified by the sender.

When you edit a style you need to choose the option to apply to all future items that use the template. If you don't choose that, it applies only to the current message.

Is there any way to configure the style used by Outlook when replying to messages so that I could avoid formatting oddities caused by the sender's version of the Normal style?

It's interesting that until I press Enter, I can get the font color specified in my stationary to stick in my reply. If I dig down to the Style Inspector when I reply, the Normal Style has "Plus: Text 2" listed under Text Level Formatting which I'm assuming is the deep blue color styling I have specified for replies in my stationary. However when I press the Enter key in the message, it switches to the No Spacing style (as per the sender's Normal style configuration) which does not have the Text Level Formatting additional styling. Is there any way to configure Outlook to have the Text Level Formatting from my stationary applied to all styles (not just Normal) when I reply?

Thanks again Diane!

As far as I know, no. Sorry.

What I find odd is that while I cannot override the style when I reply, others seem to be able to, although perhaps that is because they are using a different email client. When I compose messages, I use the Normal style (as per the NormalEmail.dotm template) configured as:

Spacing before/after: 0 pt
Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style: checked
I noticed that when some recipients reply, the paragraph style of my message gets changed to

Spacing before/after: auto
Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style: unchecked

which results in twice the spacing as in my original message.

Would I be able to circumvent this by sending messages using something different than the Normal style (for example a style called MyNormal)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Why doesn't outlook use "Normal" style for new messages? Using Outlook 4
glnz Can Word Normal.dotm interfere with Outlook? Office 2016 Using Outlook 5
D Font in Reply is much larger than normal, how to reset ...? Using Outlook 4
A Group Inbox items together (urgent, calendar, normal) Using Outlook 1
W How to switch my list view back to normal view Using Outlook 1
J How to convert BCM contacts to normal Outlook contacts BUT... BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Macro button name Normal.NewMacros.UK instead of UK Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Assign Categories "Round Robin" style but in a shared mailbox but on specific emails only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
A Form style totally changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook Contacts ... Changing Font Size, Style, Bold, etc. Using Outlook 2
N contact notepad 'style' getting changed after clicking and running Activities Using Outlook 2
Jennifer Murphy Equations don't comply with style setting to left justify Using Outlook 0
T In-line reply style in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 20
JimG Use VBA to add <style> tag to Email. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Outlook 2010 Modify Style "Do not check spelling or grammar" not saving Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Outlook 2010 custom font style duplicates itself every time I save a task Using Outlook 0
D Point Size for Fonts in Custom Font Style (Outlook 2013) Using Outlook 0
E Monthly Style Calendar Printing Using Outlook 6
S Printing Selected Date Range in Monthly Style Using Outlook 1
J New Style get duplicated Using Outlook 0
B Meeting Form print style Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Appointment font size when printing only changes Tasks' font Using Outlook 0
V Latest Changes to form not appearing for some users Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T How to deal with Upcoming GMAIL changes Using Outlook 2
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
C Tracking Calendar Changes? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2019 UI changes after 20H2 update Using Outlook 1
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P OWA Settings->Calendar->Events from Email; Setting changes do not hold Using Outlook 1
W Message class changes of a custom form changes to the default form Using Outlook 2
D Outlook Message Window Changes Size and Position Using Outlook 1
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P Account Changes Using Outlook 4
Dave A Run macro on existing appointment when it changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Spell Checker Changes -- Not as Predictive as Previously Using Outlook 3
C Outlook - cannot save subject line changes Using Outlook 2
T Incoming Mail Changes Fonts Using Outlook 0
Cdub27 Your changes to this item couldn't be saved because Server Denied Operation (HTTP 403 Forbidden) Using Outlook 1
M receive mail when appointment category changes and create task from appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark Foley Outlook prompts for IMAP user/PW when domain PW changes Using Outlook 0
K outlook 2010 changes text tab position when sending Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2013 not syncing changes to outlook.com account calendar? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
M Display as name in outlook contacts changes Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2010/IMAP - Restoring from system tray changes to unused ibox.... Using Outlook 1
D Connecting to Exchange changes calendar functionality Exchange Server Administration 1
airtas oft templates not sending changes Using Outlook 2
T outlook cal for mac changes times of recurring meetings on its own Using Outlook 1
james27_84 Outlook 2013 not synching changes to server Using Outlook 6
J Local Outlook 2013 folder and message changes not synced with EAS to Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
R People View Changes during search Using Outlook 2