Adding contacts on Android phone and then syncing them to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascar_CT

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Hello everyone,

I have noticed a strange thing which gets in the way of adding contacts to my address book.

When I add a contact on Android phone I enter the email address in the email address field and choose that this is a “work” email address.

XJDjBA.png

Android phone syncs contacts to my outlook.com address book. In a few minutes I see the new contact in both Outlook.com and in MS Outlook 2010 address book. However what I see in both Outlooks is quite different from what I entered on the phone. In MS Outlook Contacts I see that the field which has to hold the email address also has the name of the contact in double quotes and the email address has the <> symbols prepended and appended. I did not enter any of these symbols. Outlook.com also shows this email address as “Personal” despite I set it as “Work”.

zWnx7x.png

6YkJ7N.png

Now, if I need to send an email to this contact from Outlook and I pick up the email address details from the address book the message does not send and gets stuck in the Outbox because the mail server does not understand "Bill Clinton" <bill.clinton@xyz.com> because it should be just the email address without any additional characters. So, for me to make this record in the address book work I have to edit it manually.

QHCbw9.png

Do you know of any fix or workaround for this problem?

The brackets shouldn't affect the address - the name <address> format should be understood by all mail servers. Outlook desktop doesn't understand home and work addresses - its just an address. However, there is a problem based on the display name field - only the address should be inside the () and there should only be () or <>, not both.

You are using the default android contact app? I'll repro it and report it.

Yes, if I had just brackets, it would have worked because mail server is supposed to ignore these characters. But I get Name + Last Name + some spaces in the email address field.

I use stock Android contact manager, however since my phone is Samsung Note 3 I am not sure how much "stock" it is in view of Samsung's notorious penchant to modify the standard Android stuff.

Has a resolution been found for this issue?

I have also found that the problem exists with email address formats in Outlook.com when saved from stock Android (Kit Kat 4.4) contact manager.

When in the People section of Outlook.com and with a specific contact selected, there are no issues sending an email by clicking on the persons email address. (See the following screenshot.)

upload_2015-6-15_0-5-50.png

However, when in Compose mode in Outlook.com, there is an error after entering the recipient and trying to send the email. (See the following screenshots. Note: these are not issues when sending an email from with the People section.)

(Screenshot after manually entering the persons name from list of recipients in Outlook.com.)

upload_2015-6-15_0-10-19.png

(Screenshot after clicking send button.)

upload_2015-6-15_0-12-40.png

The only work around is manual removal of the contact name and greater than and less than marks from either side of the email address in the email field, as seen in the following screenshot.

upload_2015-6-15_0-24-55.png

Thanks for any assistance on this issue.

No, I gave up on this. Even if I add a new contact on the phone this would be just for the phone number. I add email addresses from inside MS Outlook. I very rarely use Outlook.com webmail. Let's see if this problem clears after we all transition to Exchange server on the back-end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book Using Outlook 1
Commodore Editing contacts and adding photos Using Outlook 4
B Automatically adding contacts to address book Using Outlook 2
R adding field from Contacts Using Outlook 0
L Adding custom labels in Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Adding Customer ID automatically to contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
N Adding 'Add To Business Contacts' when right-clicking an email add BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Adding contacts to Outlook from Access DB Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Adding Custom Forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Adding a contact to a specific folder Using Outlook 0
S Adding a recipient's column to Sent folder in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Adding Userform Dropdown List items from names of subfolders on network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 1
G Removing old emails when adding accounts Using Outlook 3
D Contact Group - Adding Bulk Addresses Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
J O365 - Adding Shared Google Calendar ICS link issue in O365 Using Outlook 0
B Adding signature to bottom of VBA reply email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S User Defined Fields adding new value (2) Using Outlook 0
M Adding Subject to this Link-Saving VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Project Management - Adding Folders for Different Folder Types Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
Z Outlook Custom Form: Adding Dropdown(Project Code) at the end of subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Z Adding dropdown list using custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
M Adding Macro to populate "to" "subject" "body" not deleting email string below. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
O Adding a new account - "CompanyL (none)" line is added Using Outlook 5
broadbander Needing help with reply/reply all while keeping attachments and adding a new CC recipient. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M adding corresponding contact form data on a mass scale Using Outlook 5
A VB to "reply all" email items stored in a folder of outlook with adding a new message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K adding more rules to 'different domains check' macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P MS OUTLOOK 2013 - Adding Sender on the CC line Using Outlook 5
R User Defined Fields adding new value Using Outlook 3
W Adding A Macro To Message Ribbon Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Collecting mail address from GAB and adding to Outlook Task Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016 - adding outlook.com account creates a new/strange address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 18
F Adding textbox filter to listbox? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Recurring invite sent w/distribution list adding/removing attendees Using Outlook 0
J Issues with adding iCloud to Outlook Using Outlook 1
G Adding a contact to Outlook with a custom form using Access VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Macro to send email after changing from address and adding signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Adding Reply & Delete to main toolbar? Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2007 adding categories Using Outlook 15
N Adding Appointment Item in Outlook to Shared Calendar Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Diane Poremsky Adding Emojis to Outlook's AutoCorrect Using Outlook 0
T Adding "Mark As Complete" btton to Task Remindet Pop-Up Using Outlook 3
O Saving Attachments to folder on disk and adding Initials to end of file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A Adding a 2010 sharepoint contact list to outlook 2010 address book Using Outlook 1
M Adding fields to Task in Outlook Home and Business 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7