Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am hoping that this question fits into this discussion on contacts. I am having difficulty explaining it to Google.

I am on Outlook 2016 using win 10. We have two email accounts. One for me and one for my wife. I have an IMAP/SMTP account using an optusnet carrier. She has an Exchange account using an Outlook carrier. Hers just happened to get set up that way. Both accounts show on the LHS of Outlook emails so we can select either account when Outlook opens to view respective messages.

I have set my account as the default email account but it prefers hers as the Data Files default and will not allow me to change it.

The problem I have is when I open my address book and try to add a new contact (New entry), the default of where to Put this entry in: shows as her contacts list. I have to use the drop down list to call my contacts list to put the new entry in. This is a nuisance because sometimes I forget to do the drop down and a new contact meant for my contacts list gets added to hers.

Is there any way I can make my list show first (on the top) in this drop down list? The majority of emails and contacts are mine and she does only a few emails.

I assume it is because she has an Exchange account. If there is no other way to change this order is it easy to change her account to IMAP without deleting it all?

Thanks
Mal

I have set my account as the default email account but it prefers hers as the Data Files default and will not allow me to change it.
That is because its an exchange account - and outlook will always set an exchange data file as default if it exists.

Open the Address book, go to File > Options and select your contacts in the dropdown at the bottom. Otherwise, the only option is separate profiles.

2020-02-29_23-43-48-0000.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
F Auto changing email subject line in bulk Using Outlook 2
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
MattC Changing the font of an email with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Outlook 2021 Can anyone explain why my Outlook views keep changing?! Using Outlook 2
wayneame Changing the Form Used by Existing Task Items in a Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S Changing Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Pop Server Changing Verizon/Aol to Yahoo Using Outlook 6
P Outlook tasks keeps changing (updating) dates that I type Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
P Changing the font that the task view shows Using Outlook 5
S Changing colors of today's appointments, but not recurring ones Using Outlook 33
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
E Outlook view grouping keeps changing Using Outlook 3
B BCC issues after changing root folder path for gmail Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Changing events in Outlook calendar via opening file, importing CSV Using Outlook 0
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Outlook Contacts ... Changing Font Size, Style, Bold, etc. Using Outlook 2
N Rule for "on behalf of" - with changing names Using Outlook 2
O Save attachments using hotkey without changing attributes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
Gary Hile Outlook 2016 changing editor options Using Outlook 6
J Outlook Rules - Changing auto-submit address in multiple rules, according to rule name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Problems syncing emails with webmail after changing to Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
S Changing notification sound for new incoming messages in Outlook 365/2016 Using Outlook 1
Stephen Weinberg Changing the mailing address checkbox Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2013 changing iCloud reminder time? Using Outlook 0
C Changing the name of Outlook Messages saved to a folder Using Outlook 1
A Outlook.com changing appointments Using Outlook 8
B Changing CC list to .add Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Diane Poremsky Changing the Message Size in Exchange Server Using Outlook 0
R changing FW: on forward Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B changing Win7 default backup schedule for Previous Versions Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Changing the default *.pst and *.ost sizes Using Outlook 0
P Message Class keeps changing back to IPM.Contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Macro to send email after changing from address and adding signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Changing Outlook.com color schemes Using Outlook 0
R Outlook calendar appointments Free/Busy time is changing from "Busy" to "Free" Using Outlook 2
W Changing looks of emails in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
L Office 365 Outlook changing default contact folder Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Changing the From Domain in Office 365 Using Outlook 0
R The changing way to access information in Office 365 Using Outlook 0
N Creating or changing the main new mail message template in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
T issue changing [Type] in dbo.ContactMainTable/ contacts seem to be deleted BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
William Yeack Outlook/Exchange - Changing display of “From” user Using Outlook 3
divan VbaProject: Changing email format Using Outlook 15
C Changing Domain -- Assigned To User field Migration? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M CHANGING ACCOUNT NAME Using Outlook 0