Select image in contact notes field and save as jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrece May

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I am trying to find a way to use VBA to select images found in an Outlook 2010 contact's note field (body) and save them as jpg. I have been searching for a solution for weeks and am at a loss. Any ideas or assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for the quick replies. I had looked into attachments collection, however, the tool I am using somehow manages to save a contact item with an image in the notes field with no attachment item associated with it. Don't ask me how!

Let me give some background, I am using a tool by Abbyy called Business Card Reader in order to scan in a business card and have the contact details automatically determined and then saved as an outlook contact. It works great except for the fact that the only place the scanned image of the business card is put is in the notes. When the contact is then sync'ed with the iphone, the image does not show up. And to make it worse, when the contact is updated on the iphone side, the image is usually wiped out. So, I am looking for a VBA solution to grab the image and associate it with the contact in a way that survives iphone syncing.

What I have come up with is to grab the image out of the notes, save it, and then make it the contact picture. Unfortunately, I am finding it near impossible to get this image saved.

What I have discovered so far:
1. when the contact is initially created in outlook, the business card image is in the notes field, but there is no attachments item for the contact. Don't know how they are getting this to work, but that is what it does.

2. if I attach a second image manually by editing the contact, it shows up in the notes field with the original business card image and the attachments collection goes from 0 attachments to 2 in VBA, showing an item for both the scanned business card image as well as the item I manually attached.

3. if I attach a second image using VBA, it shows up in the notes field with the original business card image but the attachments collection only reflects the new attachment, not the original business card image as in item 2.

So, I am having an impossible time finding a programmatic way to get VBA to see the business card image in the notes field without having to manually deal with each contact.

For example here is a contact I am working with:
upload_2015-7-11_22-59-8.png

and here is what the variables look like when processing in VBA:

upload_2015-7-11_23-3-7.png

Not sure how easy this is to see, but the contact is showing no attachment items in the collection, however, there are clearly two images in the notes field.

Hope all this makes sense. Once again, any assistance in solving this mystery is sincerely appreciated!

Patrece

When the contact is then sync'ed with the iphone, the image does not show up. And to make it worse, when the contact is updated on the iphone side, the image is usually wiped out. So, I am looking for a VBA solution to grab the image and associate it with the contact in a way that survives iphone syncing.
Does the iPhone support attachments in the notes field? EAS doesn't sync them - so the behavior you see if expected.

After this line in the macro
lngCount = objAttachments.Count

add
msgbox lngCount

does the message box list the correct # of attachments?

I agree that the iphone does not display the images, but when attached properly, the iphone sync does not remove them. It looks like the problem is that the business card scanner software is not properly attaching the images to the contact so that they will survive the sync. And to be honest, I have no idea how they are getting the images into the notes field without an attachment being created. I have submitted a trouble report asking them to look into this.

I was just hoping to find a way to get a hold of this image in the notes field and programmatically reattach the image so that it will work as expected. If I open the contact and right click on the image, I can do a "Save as Picture" and it will save the image that I can then use, but I have found no way to do this in VBA since there is no attachment and I have been unable to figure out how to select an image in the notes that has no attachment.

Any ideas on this would be MORE than appreciated!!!
[DOUBLEPOST=1436800250][/DOUBLEPOST]
After this line in the macro
lngCount = objAttachments.Count

add
msgbox lngCount

does the message box list the correct # of attachments?

Not sure what you are referencing here. Can you please give additional details?

Status
Not open for further replies.