Suppress dialog box on email check error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phs3

Our ISP (Cox) is having lots of POP and/or authentication server trouble lately, with concomitant failures checking mail. Looking at the errors (in Outlook logging or from another client) I see authentication timeouts, "Internal server error", etc.

If I could just suppress the dialog box, I'd be happy: I'm going to notice if mail starts not working consistently, and when it does appear, it stops further POP mail checks (and is disruptive if I'm typing in another window).

Is there a way to suppress this dialog? Perhaps some Registry keys? A server-mode Outlook process would want to run this way, so it seems likely that it's at least possible...

What are you using for the check every nn time? Try raising the limits so it comes up less often (it shouldn’t be less than 5 min)... the other option is disabling auto checks until cox fixes it.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to suppress the dialog, so changing the send receive settings is the best option.

Thanks. I have a dozen or so POP accounts. Disabling isn't an option, and lengthening the period would of course reduce the incidence, but doesn't really help--biggest problem is coming back to the machine and having the dialog up and no email, then having to wait for a few dozen messages to arrive.

This is a pretty dumb restriction on Outlook's part, given that it reports failures in the main window and you can get to the details. Hope it gets fixed by Office 2048 or so...

How many accounts are with cox? You could take them out of the main send/receive and put them in a new group.

With a dozen accounts, you definitely don’t want to be checking mail more frequently than every 5 min. If all/many are on cox, you should move half to a new s/r group and stagger the check times - one every 5 min, one every 6.

FWIW, similar behavior happens with my exchange accounts, but usually only when I travel. :( I set outlook offline if I don’t want to be bothered with the dialog.

Seven are with Cox. Why would I want to stagger the check times? That's never mattered in 20 years of multiple accounts with varied ISPs. It's not like my measly few connections overwhelm their servers. Confused.

outlook limits the connections to a server at one time - while this shouldn't be a problem normally, if cox is having server issues, it can help. If you have your check every nn time set to 1 min, outlook is barely finished before it starts checking again.

Imagine if every person with a cox mailbox tried to check it every minute... some will be rejected because the system is overloaded... (This is why we recommend 5 - 8 minute check times.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Is it no longer possible to suppress Outlook 2019 Invalid Certificate name mismatch security alert via Registry? Using Outlook 1
R suppress BCC Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Suppress Popup Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Disable "Always ask before opening" Dialog Using Outlook 3
D.Moore PickFolder dialog "extension" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Commodore Folders always closed in move/copy items dialog box Using Outlook 3
P IMAP Folders Dialog Box Using Outlook 1
S Reminder Dialog Open Button Using Outlook 2
Laurent Duchastel New email setup dialog doesn't allow alias Using Outlook 2
M Dialog called up multiple times when saving emails from macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Diane Poremsky Enter Network Password Dialog Keeps Popping Up Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Rules & Alerts Dialog Won't Open Using Outlook 1
moron save as & file location dialog box popup Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Outlook dialog about retention policy Using Outlook 3
P VBA for Dialog Box when sending Email Using Outlook 8
R Need code to gather value of custom field on addressentry.details dialog box Using Outlook 3
D Contacts as default in Select Names dialog Using Outlook 1
R how do I eliminate allow access dialog box using VBAproject in Out Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Select Names Dialog Box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
P Open Advanced Search Dialog Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A outlook AdvanceFind dialog Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S how to add my custom items to "Change E-mail Account" dialog Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Save As dialog box on screen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H How turn off outlook security warning dialog box from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R (Outlook2003)Monitor change for "to" "cc" "bcc" on message compose dialog? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
P How to Open File Selector dialog in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Browse Dialog Box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook2007 and VSTO, handle the Click on the Save Button in the IPM.Note dialog HOWTO? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J common dialog Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B how/what dialog boxes can I display from VBA code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
S New Email "From" box stopped working Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 365 Search Box reverting to old location Using Outlook 2
J How do you disable address search box when typing @ in body of email? Using Outlook 0
L Is there a way to completely disable the "archive" box? Using Outlook 1
M Reverting The Outlook Search Box Location (or other undesired additions) Using Outlook 1
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan E-Mails Sent Using a Group Box Result in 70 Kickbacks Using Outlook 4
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Private check box in table view Using Outlook 0
C Custom Outlook Form - Populate Information from Radio Button / Check Box Using Outlook 0
J Program Checkbox that will activate a text box in a Outlook fallible form. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
CWM030 Call me old if you want. OL 2016 font size out of the box. Using Outlook 3
E Don't want Inbox shown when login box is shown Using Outlook 1
stephen li VBA Outlook send mail automatically by specified outlook mail box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Using Data From Combo Box in Appointment Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A GetSelectNamesDialog Pre-fill search box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
P Custom Outlook form_Validations in combo box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Outlook 2010 sending safe senders email to junk box Using Outlook 8
K Sharedmail box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4