How to import contact list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've exported my Contact List over into a Folder that I just created. Not to Excel or anywhere else, just an ordinary, every day run of the mill folder. My query is, how do I import it back in. I know I go into the Import / Export but what do I latch onto? Is the one called "Import from another program or File" and then this.
When I use that and go to the directory where I exported those names (and that's all that's there are the names but no Name given for the list) the names are not showing, in fact, nothing is showing.
So obviously, I've gone off the rails and gone out into the woods so to speak. Apparently, I must have to export this file to Excel, correct? And haven't been there before, is this a difficult or an easy thing to do? :)

You exported the contacts to a folder on your hard drive? Are they vCards (vcf extension)? Outlook does a poor job at importing vcards - if you don't have many, you can open each one and the choose Save - it should add them to your default contacts folder. Or use Import/Export, import vCard file - it only imports one at a time. :(

If you have a lot, i have a macro that can do it faster. Macro to Bulk Import Contacts and vCards into Outlook

Thanks for the reply Diane. I've exported the list to my SSD. After each name, I see this extension - .msg.
I've done this simply to experiment with it, so if things go pads up on my computer, I'll at least have a backup of my Contacts. For instance, if I lost everything and had to install Outlook again, I want to know if I can simply retrieve them using Import in Outlook and retrieve them from the Folder I've created. I've only a couple dozen or so names in the list. Let me know what to do.

you should be able to drag them one at a time to the contacts folder or open them and click save.

Dragging them in bulk used to create a message with attachments, but its worth trying to see if it still does.

Ok, so if I have these backed up into any Directory and have a brand new Outlook installed, all I have to do is double click on each one and it opens up in Outlook and I save it. Am I correct?
I've just tried dragging one of them into my opened Contact list but it won't let me drop it there. I should say, I have all my contacts there in Outlook at present, but if it were empty, would it work?

I have to do is double click on each one and it opens up in Outlook and I save it. Am I correct?
Use Copy to My Contacts. It's slow but works - and puts them into the default contacts folder.
save-copy.png

've just tried dragging one of them into my opened Contact list but it won't let me drop it there. I should say, I have all my contacts there in Outlook at present, but if it were empty, would it work?
Full or empty doesn't matter... it should work (and does here) - you need to drag to the list, not to the reading pane (if on) - or to the folder. You can select all and drag - especially if all are contacts and not a mix of contacts and contact groups (formerly known as distribution lists)
drag-to-folder.png
contact-list.png

If outlook has a lock on a contact, usually because you opened it from the hard drive or already copied it into Outlook during the current session, you'll receive an error message saying it couldn't copy the items and to check permissions. Don't bother checking permissions, it won't help. You'll need to restart outlook to release the lock.
outlook-lock.png

BTW, you can select all, copy and paste into contacts. Use Ctrl+A, C then Ctrl+V into the folder.

Oh, and you can use any view - but if you use people view, paste in the list, not in the preview pane.

Use Copy to My Contacts. It's slow but works - and puts them into the default contacts folder.
View attachment 2218

Full or empty doesn't matter... it should work (and does here) - you need to drag to the list, not to the reading pane (if on) - or to the folder. You can select all and drag - especially if all are contacts and not a mix of contacts and contact groups (formerly known as distribution lists)
View attachment 2219 View attachment 2220

If outlook has a lock on a contact, usually because you opened it from the hard drive or already copied it into Outlook during the current session, you'll receive an error message saying it couldn't copy the items and to check permissions. Don't bother checking permissions, it won't help. You'll need to restart outlook to release the lock.
View attachment 2221

Ok, see if I can make clear what I'm doing. I've got just the names of contacts copied to Downloads. So all my contacts are there. I now want to copy those back (or drag them back) from the Downloads directory to Outlook. I click on Address Book in Outlook which opens up my contact list. When I try and drag one name from the Directory I've created, it doesn't give me an error message and it does nothing. When I grab one name from the list in my Downloads directory and drag it to the Address Books Contacts, it just shows a circle with a line through it, meaning of course I'm not putting that name anywhere.
So in essence, I'm saying still ... I'm not following the directions, not because it's a fault on your end but because I'm a man. Please clarify unless you feel I need to re-read and re-read the instructions you've given so far, meaning I'm not just seeing it. :)

In the Downloads directory, I double click on the name and it opens up the Contact list and I see Copy to my contacts. When I do, it give me the option of adding a new contact (I take that to be manually) or I have the option of updating information about the selected contact.
Let me see if I'm getting close ... let's say I have a brand new Outlook. So I can go to the list of contacts in my Directory I've created, click on one name at a time and that will put them one at a time into my Contacts in the new Outlook. Does that make sense and it appears from where I'm sitting now, it will work. The skill testing question is, will it.

I click on Address Book in Outlook which opens up my contact list.
Mistake... you cant add to it. Use the Contacts folder.

(damn... my typing is dyslexic )

Last edited:
Ok, so in a brand new Outlook, I can double click on a name which opens up to my Contact Folder and all I do is close & save on that one, correct? I can't understand why they aren't calling for me to work at Cape Kennedy!

That should work... if outlook is being persnickety, you'll need to use the button to add to contacts instead.

Thank you so much Diane. When the time comes, I'll use your advice. But don't go far, for no doubt I'll be calling upon you as will countless others! :)

I’ve been told I’m never allowed to retire. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I'm happy I don't have to give you that news but of course I verily concur! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.