Delete duplicate emails - subscription notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
AFAIK the current tools/scripts check on entire duplicates, i.e. title, size, date-time stamp, etc.
That is correct.

Another category of duplicates are those of notifications on subscribed forum threads.

So, from forum XYZ
with contents that merely exists of 'userx has replied on .. ' click on xxx to reply.

no further comments.

the notification title may change:
let's say the first/source title reads, for example: "Suggestion to improve rename panel'

the following notifications can read:
userabc like your idea "Suggestion to improve rename panel"
or
reply on posting "Suggestion to improve rename panel'
or
you are mentioned in "Suggestion to improve rename panel'

so, date, time, size are different, but at least a few words in the title are the same and the from.

Probably no solution for that one??

thanks.

A macro could handle it, although it would need to be fairly specific so that it knows to use what is inside the quotes or what follows (or precedes) a keyword. Basically, it would only apply to mail sent from the forum software.

i use a macro for notification emails from a site - i run the macro daily and assign a category (makes it easier to find, review, and delete them) but could move or delete if found. In you example, you'd look for subjects that contain 'like your idea', 'reply on posting', or 'you are mentioned in'

Filter = "@SQL=" & "(" & """urn:schemas:httpmail:subject""" & _
" LIKE '%phrase in subject here%' OR " & _
"""urn:schemas:httpmail:subject""" & _
" LIKE '%other phrase in subject here:%')"

Diane, thank you so much.
Have been thinking this over and over in the meantime, but all in all it will be too complex, too many varieties on possibilities.
Let it rest. Still thanks for getting back on this.

As you know I just recently changed to Office 365/Exchange. As I was (and still am) a bit unsure about mail being 'somewhere' rather than actually on my pc (like with .pst files), I started out by adding a rule to Outlook (exchange) that all mail received and sent are copied the Inbox and Sent Items of my 'old' .pst
More or less for 'safety sake'. That's getting a bit out of control :)

The ".ost" mails start off early november.
Say I need to re-install Office and so Outlook, one day in future, will it then still retrieve as from early November? Will all the mail then still be there?
Read and unread mail. I don't worry about the .ost file-size, only if all mail is still there, no matter how long.

(Background is a bit strange, but nonetheless true: it is/was my experience that with Gmail, once you have read mail on your tablet, it is marked as 'read' and you won't get it in your pc-mailbox when using POP3. So you are in a hotel, read your mail, back home you can't retrieve it into Outlook on your pc. True, at least a few years back, maybe the fixed it in the meantime, I don't know. So I had to make it a habit that after opening a mail on my tablet, I had to send a copy to myself, so at least that one would arrive in Outlook at home. Otherwise, nothing)

I'll have to clean up all the duplicates manually.

Say I need to re-install Office and so Outlook, one day in future, will it then still retrieve as from early November? Will all the mail then still be there?
Yes, it will be there. As long as you don't delete it...

Background is a bit strange, but nonetheless true: it is/was my experience that with Gmail, once you have read mail on your tablet, it is marked as 'read' and you won't get it in your pc-mailbox when using POP3. So you are in a hotel, read your mail, back home you can't retrieve it into Outlook on your pc.

BTW, this is a limitation of POP3 - it still happens, but you should be using Exchange services, not pop3 with outlook.com/office 365 mailboxes.

Thank you Diane.
My main profile IS indeed Exchange now. But back then it was POP3.

As for the 'tablet-issue''
I now realize, the tablet software (AquaMail) by default selected imap protocol - I think it could not be changed to POP - and probably the issues were because of that...

Anyway, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.