Reset Date to Keep Tasks from Archiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburrows

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Is there a better way than creating a new retention policy in Microsoft 365 to keep Tasks from archiving? Creating a retention policy as per Microsoft recommendation requires manually setting archive/retention for each folder and any future new folders. I also get complaints that users can't find Tasks that are still active (as an example, I have a recurring task every 5 years and it archives so I never see it or get the reminder).

Thanks!

These are archiving to an online archive? Is there a never archive policy for users to apply? But it would be easiest for the admin to make a retention policy for tasks folder and apply it to all mailboxes.

If using Outlook's archive functions - Have you tried marking the tasks as do not archive?

These are archiving to an online archive? Is there a never archive policy for users to apply? But it would be easiest for the admin to make a retention policy for tasks folder and apply it to all mailboxes.

If using Outlook's archive functions - Have you tried marking the tasks as do not archive?
Yes, online Archive. There is not an option to exclude Tasks exclusively from online Archive. Microsoft acknowledges this. Work around is to create a new retention policy that disables archiving as the default option and going to each folder and enabling archiving manually. Not a good solution.

Searching Tasks in Archive is not an issue but not showing active Tasks that go to Archive. Users have to go back and forth to check active Tasks.

Scratch my policy idea - Tasks are not included in the default folders retention tag options. Users would need to set it on their task folder.

1637355589159.png

I don't see where to apply a retention policy to a specific folder only. Of course, the 365 admin portal changes every day, so sometimes impossible to find what was in one place the day before!

How did you get there?

Yes, online Archive. There is not an option to exclude Tasks exclusively from online Archive. Microsoft acknowledges this. Work around is to create a new retention policy that disables archiving as the default option and going to each folder and enabling archiving manually. Not a good solution.

Searching Tasks in Archive is not an issue but not showing active Tasks that go to Archive. Users have to go back and forth to check active Tasks.
Yeah, I just discovered that... teach me to talk without double checking. :)

I don't recall if Do Not Archive applies to online archiving - and have not tested it. That works in Tasks... unlike policies and retention tags.

I don't see where to apply a retention policy to a specific folder only. Of course, the 365 admin portal changes every day, so sometimes impossible to find what was in one place the day before!

How did you get there?
I use the old exchange admin portal because the new one sucks and I can't find anything it in.

The new location for polices is in compliance - but the old portal is easier. <g>

I also use the old portal. Where did you find the option to apply retention policy to Tasks? I have been fighting this for well over a year without finding a good solution. I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft and their only option was the same as the previous link.

Where did you find the option to apply retention policy to Tasks?
I didn't... that's when I discovered it did not exist.

Do not archive is an Outlook option - it definitely applies to autoacrive and manual archive - I don't know if it is honored by the online archive system.

I do not believe it is. There are no options on the Outlook side (policy tab is missing to choose never). I believe it is a futile path down a long rabbit hole. I have had customers ask me to disable online archive just because of this.

Diane, thanks for your follow up and persistence helping me resolve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
D Font in Reply is much larger than normal, how to reset ...? Using Outlook 4
kburrows Office 365 - Contacts Sort First, Last instead of Last, First. How to Reset? Using Outlook 4
S Outlook - Reset the number of day-events Using Outlook 0
B Message catagories have been reset to purple Using Outlook 6
A Appointment recurrence reset to 'end after 25 occurrences' Using Outlook 1
T PR_MESSAGE_CLASS is reset when calling Save() on item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F Outlook 365 Group INBOX by date but not by date and time Using Outlook 1
S Displaying Date Value In Formula Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
CWM550 Wrong Date Using Outlook 4
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
R unable to filter tasks when start date is on or before today Using Outlook 3
S Combination Field (Date Format) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
U How can the Received date be edited? Using Outlook 0
D This folder up to date vs all folders up to date Using Outlook 1
S Outlook Macro for [Date][Subject] Using Outlook 1
N Save emails within a certain date range to network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Extract "Date sent" from emails (saved to folder using drag and drop) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
DDB VBA to Auto Insert Date and Time in the signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Short Date Format when typing in a task Using Outlook 2
S Change "This Week" flag start date behavior Using Outlook 1
S Archiving and Likely Modified Date Problem Using Outlook 3
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook 2016 Arrange tasks by date, additional custom sorting, but still use friendly terms like Today, Tomorrow, This week? Using Outlook 1
L Macro to add Date & Time etc to "drag to save" e-mails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
S save attachment with date & time mentioned inside the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Witzker Pls help to change the code for inserting date in Ol contact body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
M Sorting by Day in Date Column Advanced Filter BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Body text of Email from invite date/time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
V 10 Years calenders -single date together Exchange Server Administration 8
O Export Outlook calendar appointments by filters and date range Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Add date next to day name in Outlook Today calendar view Using Outlook 1
X If you change expiration date of repeated task it dupplicates Using Outlook 1
D Archive by receive date not working Using Outlook 2
V Making a Date field mandatory in outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Auto Insert Current Date or Time into Email Subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Ctrl Alt d date stamp use Using Outlook 1
A Create date folder and move messages daily Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Outlook 2010 Insert Date & Time at the button of an OL contactform in red Using Outlook 2
O Tasks - Is there a postponed date column? Using Outlook 7
J Command Button to stamp a date and time in a textbox in Outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Save and rename outlook email attachments to include domain name & date received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F Finding Meetings/Tasks in a date range Using Outlook 1
W Save Outlook attachment in network folder and rename to current date and time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 18
M Macro to add date/time stamp to subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
J Old unread emails on current date (MDaemon Server) Using Outlook 1