Safe way to add or update holidays; Windows Notifications issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Is there any "safe" way to add or update holidays in Outlook, so that you avoid creating duplicates or some similar mess? Like from some plain-text file, where you can remove entries in the past etc.?

I used to add them from Options/Calendar/ Add Holidays, but from what I can see, it doesn't really "detect" whether you've already added them previously (e.g. on a previous computer) - right now, only United States is checked there. Also, I remember that from time to time Microsoft issues a holidays update (for future years), which also tends to break some things in this regard.

One more unrelated question: If I open a new received email from Outlook directly, its notification item in Windows 11 notification area remains untouched (it only goes away if I click on it, opening the message from there). Is this a bug? (I unchecked "Show notifications in notification center" in Windows Settings/Notifications, I hope it will do what I think it should.)

Holidays: if you are going to re-add holidays, delete the old ones first. It's easy enough - search or group by location.

Outlook should tell you if the holidays exist... but its not very smart. Back when the holidays lists were only 5 years and I had none for the current year, I tried to add new ones, outlook said I already had them... well, yeah, but they weren't current. :)

Should I delete all of them, or just from the current year on? BTW, I don't have the outlook.hol file on this system anymore (Win11, Office 2021).

How often do they update these lists anyway? I mean, some dates change by definition (Easter etc.), and some state holidays are added or removed "routinely" in some places.

You can delete all - unless you need older ones for historical reasons or the HOL file included them.

You should have the HOL file at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\1033\OUTLOOK.HOL

How often do they update these lists anyway? I mean, some dates change by definition (Easter etc.), and some state holidays are added or removed "routinely" in some places.
Many of the holidays go to 2026, some as far out as 2031. It doesn't look to me like there was much rhyme or reason as to why some cover more years...

You should have the HOL file at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\1033\OUTLOOK.HOL
Yep, it's there. I figured it doesn't exist because I tend to use Everything search (from VoidTools) for quick finding a file - and that file wasn't shown.
Judging by the timestamp, it was updated with the latest Office update I performed last week.
And the "routine inspection" shows entries are either 2012-2026 or 2016-2026. Good to know before deleting...

Interesting, I'm checking out the current list view of holidays, and it seems that previous additions of holidays to calendar were up to 2028...

I think the Outlook 2013 HOL went to 2028 - I was surprised to see so many in the newest HOL end in 2026 - but there are also many that go to 2031 - it depends on the country and holiday.

So in 4.5 years we'll need to repeat this exercise - removing holidays, and re-importing a new batch?

Pretty much. Microsoft is trying to get people with outlook.com and office 365 accounts to use the separate holiday calendar to avoid this. :)

FWIW, I probably delete holidays 2x a year - this is partly because I often do quickie tests in my own mailbox - when someone says something is not right with events, I import them to check before reporting it - and end up with tons of holidays to clear out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Add multiple servers "on behalf of" email to "safe senders" list. Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Add to Safe (and Blocked) Senders for Users Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2021 Can you make emails from 3 word domains "safe" by entering top 2 word domain into Safe List in Outlook? Using Outlook 1
C must select message to trigger safe list Using Outlook 3
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
O Synchronize safe persons Outlook 2016 -> Outlook Web Access (OWA) Using Outlook 30
V Safe Recipients list Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2010 sending safe senders email to junk box Using Outlook 8
Diane Poremsky Outlook Only Starts in Safe Mode? Using Outlook 0
L what is safe size for pst of Outlook 2013 via Office 365 exchange? Using Outlook 1
R Outlook won't run except in Safe mode problem Using Outlook 5
P Outlook in safe mode Using Outlook 2
mrje1 Junk Options - Safe Lists not working. Using Outlook 0
Jennifer Murphy Sync RSS feed message after Safe Mode Using Outlook 3
K Following Several Power Cuts Can Only work in Safe Mode Using Outlook 0
M Outlook only starts in safe mode Using Outlook 4
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Outlook 2021 Add Picture to Custom Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2019 Custom outlook Add-in using Visual Studio Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G automatically choosing "add to autocorrect" option Using Outlook 0
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
K Add an entry to a specific calendar Using Outlook 1
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 365 Add keywords from Listbox to the message body where cursor is placed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Add Day Number of the year for 2023-2033 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 10
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
V How to add 'Previous Item' and 'Next Item' to the Quick Access Toolbar Using Outlook 1
kkqq1122 How would I add Search for attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L did MS ever add way to text via Outlook Using Outlook 5
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
M add new attendee to existing meetings with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 Pls. add a Prefix for OUTLOOK 2019 here Using Outlook 1
P Add inanimate objects to meetings? Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010 Add delete button to the side of the message list Using Outlook 1
BartH Add a string to the conditions in .Conditions.BodyOrSubject.Text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A "Get Add-Ins" - Which Version of Outlook to use Using Outlook 1
D Do I need Exchange Add-In? Using Outlook 6
C-S-R Manage Add-ins (Remove Wunderlist) Using Outlook 6
A iCloud add in problems Using Outlook 4