Should I switch to redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

escamoteur

Hi,

I'm programming my Addin for Outlook2007. After running against several restrictions I know think about switching to Redemption and

RDO, but it seems that it's a oneway road. If I doo I have completely to switch as it seems like RDO Objects cannot be casted to

Outlook Object Model objects.

What are your experiences??

Best

Tom
 
N

Nabil

Hi,

No, it's not a 1 way road.

You are correct, most RDO objects cannot be casted to Outlook objects,

however, most objects such as Folders, messages... etc have EntryIDs which

you can use to get the Outlook Object

For example

Private gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder As Outlook.Folder = Nothing

Private gFolder_CurrentOutlookRDOFolder As Redemption.RDOFolder = Nothing

gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder = explorer_ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder

gFolder_CurrentOutlookRDOFolder =

myRDOsession.GetFolderFromID(gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder.EntryID)

As you can see above, I'm using the EntryID of an Outlook Folder to get an

RDO folder.

NOTE: Outlook events are so unreliable it is unbelievable

Good luck
 
E

escamoteur

Yes, I realized the way over the ItemID, but that's a bit arkward.

So you say Remdemtion Events are more reliable?

You can recommend the use of redemption?

How do I get an Redemption Item from the item that I get from a FormRegion Object?

Best

Tom

"Nabil" <Nabil> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:002CFC70-AE81-4BE0-A534-93B4B0AB0ABA@microsoft.com...
> Hi,

> No, it's not a 1 way road.

> You are correct, most RDO objects cannot be casted to Outlook objects,
> however, most objects such as Folders, messages... etc have EntryIDs which
> you can use to get the Outlook Object

> For example

> Private gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder As Outlook.Folder = Nothing
> Private gFolder_CurrentOutlookRDOFolder As Redemption.RDOFolder = Nothing

> gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder = explorer_ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder
> gFolder_CurrentOutlookRDOFolder =
> myRDOsession.GetFolderFromID(gFolder_CurrentOutlookFolder.EntryID)

> As you can see above, I'm using the EntryID of an Outlook Folder to get an
> RDO folder.

> NOTE: Outlook events are so unreliable it is unbelievable

> Good luck
 
N

Nabil

See below


> Yes, I realized the way over the ItemID, but that's a bit arkward.


I think it's just as awkward as casting to be honest


> So you say Remdemtion Events are more reliable?


A lot more reliable, not 100% reliable still


> You can recommend the use of redemption?


If your addin is event driven then yet, definately.


> How do I get an Redemption Item from the item that I get from a FormRegion Object?


Sorry, I have very little experience with outlook FormRegions.
 
E

escamoteur

Thanks a lot.

The FormRegion is not important. I can get an Item Object from the region or from the inspector object. Normally I would cast this

Object to e.g. Outlook.TaskItem. How can I cast this to the appropriate RDO Object?

Also the difference between a cast and the ItemID is, A cast does not call a function that has to lookup an item. So performance is

also a point

Best

TOm

"Nabil" <Nabil> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C76E3334-E789-49C9-8886-22A137131267@microsoft.com...
> See below
>
> > Yes, I realized the way over the ItemID, but that's a bit arkward.


> I think it's just as awkward as casting to be honest
>
> > So you say Remdemtion Events are more reliable?


> A lot more reliable, not 100% reliable still
>
> > You can recommend the use of redemption?


> If your addin is event driven then yet, definately.
>
> > How do I get an Redemption Item from the item that I get from a FormRegion Object?


> Sorry, I have very little experience with outlook FormRegions.
 
N

Nabil

See below


> The FormRegion is not important. I can get an Item Object from the region or from the inspector object. Normally I would cast this
> Object to e.g. Outlook.TaskItem. How can I cast this to the appropriate RDO Object?


Having had a quick look, I don't know how you'd cast a TaskItem. I know

that for mail items you do this

Dim myRDOMail As Redemption.RDOMail

Dim myMailItem As Outlook.MailItem

myRDOMail = myRDOsession.GetMessageFromID(myMailItem.EntryID)

Have a look at the following link which may help you and also have a alook

throught the FAQ section on the redemption website

http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/rdo/RDOTaskItem.htm


> Also the difference between a cast and the ItemID is, A cast does not call a function that has to lookup an item. So performance is
> also a point

> Best
> TOm

> "Nabil" <Nabil> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C76E3334-E789-49C9-8886-22A137131267@microsoft.com...
> > See below
> >
> >> Yes, I realized the way over the ItemID, but that's a bit arkward.

> > I think it's just as awkward as casting to be honest
> >
> >> So you say Remdemtion Events are more reliable?

> > A lot more reliable, not 100% reliable still
> >
> >> You can recommend the use of redemption?

> > If your addin is event driven then yet, definately.
> >
> >> How do I get an Redemption Item from the item that I get from a FormRegion Object?

> > Sorry, I have very little experience with outlook FormRegions.

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You wouldn't cast it, you'd get the Outlook.TaskItem and get its EntryID and

get an RDO item from that.

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:9B431977-28E4-407D-B9E0-62DF21226D7B@microsoft.com...
> Thanks a lot.

> The FormRegion is not important. I can get an Item Object from the region
> or from the inspector object. Normally I would cast this Object to e.g.
> Outlook.TaskItem. How can I cast this to the appropriate RDO Object?

> Also the difference between a cast and the ItemID is, A cast does not call
> a function that has to lookup an item. So performance is also a point

> Best
> TOm
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I've used a mix of Outlook object model and RDO objects in almost every

program I've written probably for the last 8 or 9 years. Even with Outlook

2007's extended object model there are many things you can do with RDO that

you can't with the OOM. And if you have to support older versions the new

object model stuff isn't there.

I highly recommend RDO, but your mileage may vary.

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:DAE92374-3F7E-4C90-81A3-EFCC3E9D874E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,

> I'm programming my Addin for Outlook2007. After running against several
> restrictions I know think about switching to Redemption and RDO, but it
> seems that it's a oneway road. If I doo I have completely to switch as it
> seems like RDO Objects cannot be casted to Outlook Object Model objects.

> What are your experiences??
> Best
> Tom
 
S

SvenC

Hi Tom


> I'm programming my Addin for Outlook2007. After running against several restrictions I know think about switching to Redemption
> and RDO, but it seems that it's a oneway road. If I doo I have completely to switch as it seems like RDO Objects cannot be casted
> to Outlook Object Model objects.

> What are your experiences??


I use RDO in some modules. It works great. And the big advantage over CDO 1.21

or OOM is: if you have a problem, Dmitry is really good at understanding your

problem and providing a solution. At least, that is how I memorize it from the past,

because I do not have any issues any more ;-)

While you are correct about the casting, Nabil provided some solutions.

Another option is to use the MAPIOBJECT property provided by most OOM or

CDO objects. Search for MAPIOBJECT on http://www.dimastr.com/redemption

to find samples how to use that.

SvenC
 
E

escamoteur

Thanks Ken! As always you have a sound answer.

How do you decide what to do with RDO and what with OOM? Or do you do almost all in RDO?

Best

Tom
<kenslovak@mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OeV4aZhMKHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I've used a mix of Outlook object model and RDO objects in almost every
> program I've written probably for the last 8 or 9 years. Even with Outlook
> 2007's extended object model there are many things you can do with RDO that
> you can't with the OOM. And if you have to support older versions the new
> object model stuff isn't there.

> I highly recommend RDO, but your mileage may vary.

> >

>

> "escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message
> news:DAE92374-3F7E-4C90-81A3-EFCC3E9D874E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
>

>> I'm programming my Addin for Outlook2007. After running against several
> > restrictions I know think about switching to Redemption and RDO, but it
> > seems that it's a oneway road. If I doo I have completely to switch as it
> > seems like RDO Objects cannot be casted to Outlook Object Model objects.
>

>> What are your experiences??
> > Best
> > Tom

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

It depends on what versions of Outlook I'm supporting for that code mostly.

When I'm supporting Outlook 2000 and up I use a lot more RDO stuff because

of the more limited Outlook object model than I would if I was only

supporting Outlook 2007.

In the real world I've yet to see a project that was only for Outlook 2007

(except for my book stuff). Mostly lately I've been asked to support Outlook

2003 and up, although I'm still supporting 2000 for some new projects. So

that partly determines what I'd use.

Some things you can't do even with PropertyAccessor, such as reading large

property streams or things restricted by MS for "Outlook business logic"

reasons. Those are candidates for RDO, as are things still not exposed by

the object model. Some of the really hairy undocumented stuff I do is almost

pure RDO and Win32 API/PInvoke code, so it all depends and will vary from

project to project and even from class to class.

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:us7ebwhMKHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Ken! As always you have a sound answer.

> How do you decide what to do with RDO and what with OOM? Or do you do
> almost all in RDO?

> Best
> Tom
 
D

Dmitry Streblechenko

You can either use RDOSession.GetMessageFromID to retrieving RDOMial given

an entry id.

Or you can use the Safe*Item family of objects - simply ste the

SafeMainItem.Item property to an instance of the Outlook's MailItem object.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)

-

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:DAE92374-3F7E-4C90-81A3-EFCC3E9D874E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,

> I'm programming my Addin for Outlook2007. After running against several
> restrictions I know think about switching to Redemption and RDO, but it
> seems that it's a oneway road. If I doo I have completely to switch as it
> seems like RDO Objects cannot be casted to Outlook Object Model objects.

> What are your experiences??
> Best
> Tom
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Should I switch to redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
E Should I switch to IMAP? Using Outlook 0
A What Backup should I choose? Using Outlook 1
Alex Cotton "invalid or unqualified reference" on code that should work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Should a new email account also create new contacts Using Outlook 2
Brian Murphy Exchange Online Everything a Transport Rule should do and cannot Exchange Server Administration 1
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
F Which upgrade should I go for and how do I do it please? Using Outlook 2
N Outlook should use address in address book before the address in Autocomplete Using Outlook 0
A Unhandled exception: picture argument should be an image BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O Third-party VSTO 2005 SE plug-in for Outlook 2007: what should I signwith a publisher certificate? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Which event should i advise? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Hi, Ken, What should be noticed to avoid memory leak in outlook addin? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Re: mailItem.HTMLBody should retrieve only current text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Q Re: Detecting whether a toolbar is and should be shown Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Commodore Automatic switch between working offline/online Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
E Accessing shared outlook folder doesn't work since switch to new outlook/excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
D Outlook 2016: /altvba startup switch does not work Using Outlook 2
J VBA to switch Outlook online/offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
George Simpson "Switch to HTML" in Outlook 2016 notes field Using Outlook 1
B Switch template with account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P How to switch back from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010: using /altvba switch Using Outlook 1
T How to determine when I switch from mail to calendar etc. Using Outlook 9
wisedave Switch from POP3 over to IMAP Using Outlook 3
K Can Outlook be launched with the /cleanreminders switch multiple times? Using Outlook 2
W How to switch my list view back to normal view Using Outlook 1
M Switch Mail format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
U Using /a switch to send multiple files? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Edit subject - and change conversationTopic - using VBA and redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Redemption VBA basics...something's missing Using Outlook 0
D Redemption? Need rapid pull of Outlook Contacts, email + notes for VBA Using Outlook 1
J 64-bit version of Redemption? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Redemption access AppointmentItem Label from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
E Redemption MAPI access(c#) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
W Redemption::RDOMail.PrintOut() / DoAction(maPrint) not working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Use Redemption to get sender's email address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M EMail1Address and EMail1AddressType strangeness using Redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Creating Redemption.MAPIUtils failed with Windows 7 x64 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D href tags does not result in the full url with Redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Redemption Foldes.Add doesn't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Redemption Foldes.Add doesn't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Redemption.RDOSession logon() stops emails sending-they stay in Ou Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Redemption - Rules for outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Error in Outlook Object Model with redemption and google apps prem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Redemption Send EMail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
S redemption reference Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Configure mailbox OutofOffice with Redemption Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1

Similar threads

Top