Default Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello,

I am using Outlook 2003 and I'm trying to change the default fonts that are used when converting from a text email to an HTML email. For example, I compose a text email and then choose Format>>HTML. The default font that appears when I do this is Times New Roman, 10. I've figured out how to change that to my preferred font (Arial) by going to IE8>>Tools>>Internet Options>>Fonts Button and changing it there. However I can't figure out how to change the size of the font from 10 to 12. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

The settings in Tools, Options, Mail format, Stationery and Fonts didn't change the font in Outlook?

Are you using Word or Outlook as the editor?

I changed those settings and it does work when composing a new email or reply to an email. However, if you compose a new email in Plain Text, then go to Format>>HTML and check that, it defaults to Times New Roman/10. You can change the default font via IE8 but you can't change the font size. (At least I don't know how.)

I've tried using both Word and Outlook as an editor to resolve. Changing the default font in Word doesn't fix it when using Word as an editor.

I can't get it to accept the IE font. <g> When i convert plain to html, it's always TNR. Only the quoted reply is affected, correct? My only suggestion right now is Select All, then change the font size.

The reason IE doesn't have a font size is that it uses small, med, large, larger for font sizes, not numbers, and they are relative to a global setting on the web page.

After you set the font in IE, you have to close all browsers and restart Outlook. Then the font will change. (But it sounds like you are at least seeing what I am experiencing with the Times New Roman setting because that was what it used to be until I figured out the IE setting.)

Yea...that's what we've been doing (CTRL + A and set the font) but it's a pain and I would like to eliminate that extra step. I have to imagine that somewhere it's storing the font and it's respective size. I've seen some settings in the registry for Excel where the defaul font is something like "Arial, 10". I have to imagine that Outlook could or does have the same setting. Plus it's strange that you have to change IE to get the default font changed from Times New Roman.

Thanks for looking.

IE wasn't open, i access it using control panel, internet options and I restarted outlook. I was too lazy to reboot. <g
Outlook 2003 is the last version to use IE for rendering HTML, so that is probably why - but it also happens whether word or outlook is the editor.

Anyway, I think you need to make IE use large fonts but i have no idea how to force it.

My outlook is definitely weird. Two plain text messages, two different fonts. <g> When I'm testing goofy stuff like this i always use different fonts for each thing so i can see what is used where. I had it on arial when i opened the one, then switched to comic sans before playing with the other. (I needed to convert HTML to plain text first since the mailbox only had html). Whatever is behind this is probably behind the problem with your TNR tweak not working.
On a better note, when i disabled the option to not reset zoom, large fonts stick in IE. (internet options, advanced tab)

plain-text.png

Setting the Font size to "Larger" in IE8 doesn't work. When you convert the plain text email to HTML the default font is still Arial 10. I beginning to think this isn't possible.

I'm beginning to think so too... did you try changing the accessiblity settings? (In IE's options)

Just tried. No luck - plus it causes web page issues. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Set calendar default to 'none' (policy) Exchange Server Administration 3
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 New Appointments All saved to a 365 default calendar on Mac Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2019 Custom Email form - Edit default email form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format Using Outlook 8
Geldner Tweak Junk Email Reporting tool to default to particular email on send? Using Outlook 3
P default font when sending email from browser Using Outlook 1
nmanikrishnan Auto-reply from default account Using Outlook 1
E Default shape via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A force outlook to default to MY calendar Using Outlook 3
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How to set default email address for website links Using Outlook 3
V Accepted meetings do not get the default reminder Using Outlook 0
Fozzie Bear Accepted Zoom Invites deleting without going into Default Calendar - Office 2016 Mac Using Outlook 3
W September 2020 - No Default Email Client message after Office Update Using Outlook 1
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
F Default font for notes in contacts Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
O How come default profile changed? Using Outlook 2
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
W Message class changes of a custom form changes to the default form Using Outlook 2
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P how to remove unwanted PST file default categories assigned to many calendar entries Using Outlook 7
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
A Add to Outlook Contacts from email - default view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Making iCloud the default calendar for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
C Change default "Save Sent Item To" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
V VBA when replying + Default Account Using Outlook 2
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
P Outlook 2016 Not Default Client Using Outlook 5
D Add all meeting rooms to the meeting request by default Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N How to delete default folder "Contacts" (olFolderContacts) in a .pst file Using Outlook 8
D Default Send Account that Works? Using Outlook 0
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
J Setting default address book Using Outlook 0
V importing appointments to non-default calendar? Using Outlook 1
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
S Default Font in body of Task Using Outlook 0