2 Week Delayed Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeS

Outlook version
Email Account
I sent a message two weeks ago from outlook and the person just received it today in his gmail. How is that even possible?

this makes my account very unreliableas it is a business account.

It's really hard to say where it got stuck without looking at the headers. It may have been in your outbox or stuck somewhere on the outlook.com servers. I know the service has had problems but I don't know exactly what was affected.

If you are worried about how it looks for a business account, you need to look at how it looks to use a free email service for business, be it google, Hotmail/outlook.com or yahoo. For around $10 a year you can get your own domain and many registrars offer free email with purchases. It's not the best (usually low sending limits and small mailbox) but it looks more professional for business.

It's really hard to say where it got stuck without looking at the headers. It may have been in your outbox or stuck somewhere on the outlook.com servers. I know the service has had problems but I don't know exactly what was affected.

If you are worried about how it looks for a business account, you need to look at how it looks to use a free email service for business, be it google, Hotmail/outlook.com or yahoo. For around $10 a year you can get your own domain and many registrars offer free email with purchases. It's not the best (usually low sending limits and small mailbox) but it looks more professional for business.

Hi. No I am not worried about how it looks. The whole organization I work for uses Outlook. I have had this outlook account now for 7 years and never once had this problem before. But it can cause major problems since most of the emails I send are around issues that need to be dealt with that exact same day. If an email never gets delivered or gets delivered 2 weeks late it can cause many problems in our work. So how would I look at headers to analyze this? The email shows no indication that I sent it weeks ago. It indicates that I sent it yesterday, which isn't true.

Just to be clear, you're talking about using the service formerly known as Hotmail configured in the email client that comes with Office, correct?

Look in the Sent folder - if it is in the sent folder yesterday, it was sent yesterday. Outlook 2007 should warn you when messages are in the outbox and you close outlook, unless you disabled the warning.

Just to be clear, you're talking about using the service formerly known as Hotmail configured in the email client that comes with Office, correct?

Look in the Sent folder - if it is in the sent folder yesterday, it was sent yesterday. Outlook 2007 should warn you when messages are in the outbox and you close outlook, unless you disabled the warning.

What is the difference between mapi, exchange server and all the other options listed in the drop down? How would I determine which group I belong to? I am assuming this is what you are talking about. I am not sure which one it is but it is definitely Microsoft Outlook. I didn't realize this was once hotmail.

Why would it be showing I sent it yesterday when I actually sent it weeks ago?

Because it sat in the Outbox and didn't send. Why it didn't send is more difficult to determine. Did you use Outlook during the two weeks when you thought it was sent?

Because it sat in the Outbox and didn't send. Why it didn't send is more difficult to determine. Did you use Outlook during the two weeks when you thought it was sent?

Yes I used it every day. In fact I just sent one exactly one minute before and after the time this one was claimed to have been sent by me. I was just concerned my account was compromised. If it's absolutely certain it is just a technical glitch than I am not so worried.

If the message was legitimate, you account wasn't compromised. If it was not legit, immediately change your password. You should also change it anytime you suspect the account may have been compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.