Import 2013 Outlook Contact Address into Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The contacts are shared with three admin support staff through Exchange on the server (if I understand it correctly). MS was absolutely no help when I called them.

is local drive your exchange mailbox or a pst?

Ok, I see what is happening - the Subject field is using the full name - company and you can change it by changing the file as field, although it seems there is more to it (just changing the file as doesn't always cut it) but if i add a birthday and let outlook create a birthday event for it, the company is removed from the subject.

With more playing, it's not the file as field that is the secret to changing the subject, its the Full Name button. Just click it and save and the company name is removed.

In a quick test, this macro removes the company name from the subject field of the selected items. Touching the name fields fixed it for most, but a few also needed the fileas touched.

Code:
Public Sub SetNames()

Dim currentExplorer As Explorer
  Dim Selection As Selection
  Dim obj As Object

Set currentExplorer = Application.ActiveExplorer
  Set Selection = currentExplorer.Selection

'  On Error Resume Next

For Each obj In Selection
  'Test for contact and not distribution list
  If obj.Class = olContact Then
  Set objContact = obj
  With objContact
  Let .User3 = .FirstName
  Let .User4 = .LastName

.FirstName = .User3
  .LastName = .User4

strFileAs = .FullName
  .FileAs = strFileAs
  .Save
  End With
  End If
  Err.Clear
  Next

Set obj = Nothing
  Set objContact = Nothing
End Sub

This a macro for Outlook, right? I am no expert by any means. Do I create the macro in Outlook and run it in VB? Thank you.

As an FYI, now that I've figured it with the additional clues from Eric, I'll make sure support is aware of the problem. Do you know if this is new with Outlook 2013 or has it always added the company field? You two are the first complaints I can recall seeing, but it's possible I missed the real problem previously.

Yes, the macro is for Outlook. In my limited tests, once its changed, it won't need to be run again unless you add more to the folder. But time will tell if the company name gets added.

How to use macros:
First: You will need macro security set to low during testing.
To check your macro security in Outlook 2013, go to File, Options, Trust Center and open Trust Center Settings, and change the Macro Settings.
After you test the macro and see that it works, you can either leave macro security set to low or sign the macro.
Open the VBA Editor by pressing Alt+F11 on your keyboard.
To put the code in a module:
  1. Right click on Project1 and choose Insert > Module
  2. Copy and paste the macro into the new module.
More information as well as screenshots are at How to use the VBA Editor

Also, you can use autotext to create a custom address block - instructions are here - http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/inserting-addresses-into-word-documents/

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will try the macro this week. Yes, the problem was new with Outlook 2013.

I've noticed this for a while but have not had a chance to stop and figure it out. (I am running on Outlook 2013, 64bit, 365 Exchange, desktop click-to-run version of Outlook). Since reading yesterday's weekly newsletter on this topic, I followed your instructions, went into my contacts within Outlook and sure enough under the "subject" column, each of my contacts has a dash and the company name. I thought it had to do with the contact column "CONTACT GROUP NAME" as it is the same issue there. AND when I open the contact and re-save it, it does eliminate the company name in both the "SUBJECT" column and the "CONTACT GROUP NAME" so the issue is within Outlook somehow (vs not only when printing in Word using the envelope wizard as stated in the newsletter). I was SO HAPPY to see this issue addressed as I thought it was me personally and possibly something related to syncing with my iPhone.
I wanted to comment with hopes this helps get to the root of the issue for all. Thank you. Angie

Funny that you mention the iphone, as the problem here exists with the user who has Outlook 2013 and syncs with his iphone. What do you think, Diane? Could the iphone sync have something to do with creating the problem?

If the subject field keeps getting updated to name - company, then iPhone is contributing, but it's Exchange's doing. Creating a new contact in Outlook, in any account that isn't set up on a smartphone, creates the name - company subject.

I have finally found something that works. I do not understand it, but here is the fix I am doing to make the Contact information pull into the Word Envelope correctly using the Insert Outlook address button.

In Outlook People, I pull up the individual contact. On the Ribbon, I select Contact, Show, All Fields. Select From "Frequently-Used Fields" and go down and remove the country information. Click off of the Country/Region field, and click Save. I close out of the individual contact, return to Envelope in Word and use the insert button and select that contact. It pulls in correctly now with the company information on the second row. I don't understand it, but I've edited about 15 contacts this afternoon, and they all work correctly now.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

The macro at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/bulk-change-outlook-contacts-file-as-format/ should be able to automate it.

The part that gets changed in the bulk contacts code samples is between the With objContact / End with - if removing the country was sufficient to fix it, this should work -- get the full code from the link above and replace the fileas stuff with the country fields.

Code:
    For Each obj In objItems
        'Test for contact and not distribution list
        If obj.Class = olContact Then
            Set objContact = obj
            With objContact

.BusinessAddressCountry = ""
                    .HomeAddressCountry = ""
                    .MailingAddressCountry = ""
                .Save
            End With
        End If
        Err.Clear
    Next

That worked. All of the countries have been removed, and the contacts now pull into an envelope in 2013 Word correctly. Removing the company name from the subject field did not solve our problem, but removing the country has. Thank you again. I really appreciate your help, and our president is thrilled that it is now working properly.

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.