How to delete old rules and create new in Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
O Diane Poremsky, here's my dilemma ... I'm using Outlook 2013 and the rules I had created are no longer behaving themselves. In other words, they are not working at all.
Is there such a thing as deleting the old rules and creating them anew. If so, would you or could you give me the proper instruction ... I'm a novice, so speak in words no bigger than two syllables!!! :)
I'll appreciate your help ............. or if another wants to jump in on this, please do. Thanks!

you can restart outlook with the /cleanrules switch or just delete them from the rules & alerts dialog. I'd export them first, just so you have a copy if you decide the problem wasn't with the rules.

How to use command line switches

Being a novice with Outlook, can you please explain how to do the / cleanrules thingy. Appreciate your reply. And please explain exporting the rules - I've exported my mail / folders to a pst. file on an external hard drive, but if the rules is a different thing, please advise. Thanks!

To export rules, you need to open the Rules and alerts dialog, click Options, then Export.

At the Start menu, Run command (or open the Run command by pressing Windows Key + R type:
Outlook /cleanrules

Yuppier - done gone and did that and it appears from the latest round of email(s) it didn't work ... or do I have to create them there rules all over again?

You'll need to either recreate them or import the rules you exported - if you import rules, you'll need to check any that move to a new folder = they may need to be repointed to the folder.

Diane, don't go anywhere. Let me work on this for a couple days and I'll let you know how things go. Appreciate your expertise!

LOL. I'm not going anywhere for 2 weeks. :)

Good! Let's forget the "couple days" for a bit - after doing the Outlook /cleanrules, are you saying I then create the rules anew? Now with that profound question, I have to stumble towards my place of rest. I look forward to your furthered advice. :)

Correct, cleanrules cleans out the rules and you need to recreate them (or import the backup you exported)

Thanks Diane for not going anywhere yet!?! When I export a file (pst) to an external hard drive, does this also include the rules? I know these profound questions have probably got you snapping pencils and scratching your head but remember, I'm less than a novice when it comes to this. Again, I'll appreciate your furthered explanations / helps / patience and all the other good stuff that goes with it! :)

Nah, the questions don't bother me - my kids taught me how to be patient. :) Plus it helps to give me ideas for new articles - after doing this for 10+ years, I often run out of ideas for articles. Plus, if one person asks, it's highly likely others have the same question.

Export, no. Copy the pst as backup, yes.

Exporting also doesn't include any custom views, custom forms published to the folders and a few other things that are hidden in the data file - exporting only exports Outlook items you can see in the folder.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying, just go to the File Explorer, find the pst file and copy it to the external hard drive, correct? What I'm going to do again, is run the Outlook / Cleanrules and recreate the rules. Hopefully that will work. Should I keep a Fire Extinguisher close by this laptop perchance? :-}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Delete old emails Exchange Server Administration 1
B Delete/replace old files and save new attachments Using Outlook 1
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
D Delete selected text in outgoing email body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Automatically delete email when a condition is met Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Shift Delete doesn't delete email from server Using Outlook 3
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
Horsepower Cannot delete gmail in iPhone Outlook outbox Using Outlook 1
J Quick steps delete original email and move reply/sent email to folder Using Outlook 2
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
G Automatically delete messages in the synchronization folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O How to delete a forum post? Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2010 Errore run-time -2147417851 (80010105) Metodo delete ContactItem non riuscito Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2016 dont delete inbox item Using Outlook 0
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2010 Add delete button to the side of the message list Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 365 update sets delete from server flag Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2016 A Shortcut to recall and delete and sent message. Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 How to Delete “Orphaned” TO DO? ( Not on Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
P How did hacker cause link to delete and archive containing email? Using Outlook 6
Z Outlook 365 delete reminder you can’t make change to contents of this-read only folder Using Outlook 4
J To delete the draft email Using Outlook 2
W Recurrence: delete older occurrences / change earliest start time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 14
A Attachments.Delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Help Revising VBA macro to delete email over different time span Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Expand VBA Permanent Delete Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
M Delete headers in Inline reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N VBA to delete duplicates by message-id on common pst for 2 or more emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S How can I delete all copies of a given companies logo graphic from all my emails at once? Using Outlook 3
9 Outlook 2016 How to save an Outlook attachment to a specific folder then delete the email it came from? Using Outlook 1
D after delete mail, open the next one Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Delete duplicate emails - subscription notifications Using Outlook 5
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
L Email Read and Delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Delete Calendar Entries in Using Outlook 2
D Delete Emails from Senders in Shared Mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R How to delete Facebook Contacts folder in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 7
R VBA Code to permanently delete selected email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
JoeG Appointment Delete/Change Recurrence Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 2016 cannot delete, email showing in root Exchange Server Administration 5
C How to replace or delete first instance of sentence in mail body? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Can't delete IMAP folder Using Outlook 2
undercover_smother Automatically Forward All Sent Mail and Delete After Send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
T Delete Emails from search results Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Outlook 2013 How do I delete a Calendar? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1