URL Hyperlink not working correctly in Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Whenever I click on an URL link in an email in Office 2003, it always takes my to my home page in IE - never to the web page it is supposed to link to.
How can I correct this?

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I have tried repairing Office, and the problem still exists

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I can't repro problems on a clean windows 10 with Outlook 2003. Try resetting the browser options.

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I think you are on to something. I changed my default browser to Firefox and the links work. What browser options in IE should I reset. If you could be more specific, it would help me more.
Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Go to Geat icon > Internet Options, then Advanced tab and Reset. I'm working on setting up a virtual machine to upgrade so if resetting it doesn't work, I'll see if its something in the upgrade process.

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
That did not work either. I tried making Edge default and it works ok too. So it's definitely got something to do with IE, since both Edge and Firefox are fine. IE version is 11.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'll test an upgrade and see if i can repro it.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Try adding this key to the registry - it's the same key/value found in open\command - and you'll need to create the opennew and command keys before adding the value.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE\" %1"

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Diane
The registry addition seems to have done the trick. Thank you for you assistance
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.