URL Hyperlink not working correctly in Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterbm

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Whenever I click on an URL link in an email in Office 2003, it always takes my to my home page in IE - never to the web page it is supposed to link to.
How can I correct this?

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I have tried repairing Office, and the problem still exists

I can't repro problems on a clean windows 10 with Outlook 2003. Try resetting the browser options.

I think you are on to something. I changed my default browser to Firefox and the links work. What browser options in IE should I reset. If you could be more specific, it would help me more.
Thanks

Go to Geat icon > Internet Options, then Advanced tab and Reset. I'm working on setting up a virtual machine to upgrade so if resetting it doesn't work, I'll see if its something in the upgrade process.

That did not work either. I tried making Edge default and it works ok too. So it's definitely got something to do with IE, since both Edge and Firefox are fine. IE version is 11.

I'll test an upgrade and see if i can repro it.

Try adding this key to the registry - it's the same key/value found in open\command - and you'll need to create the opennew and command keys before adding the value.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE\" %1"

Diane
The registry addition seems to have done the trick. Thank you for you assistance
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M How to view the URL for a hyperlink? Using Outlook 1
E Create a URL hyperlink in an Outlook custom form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S How to export urls from email to excel and check the status of the url ? Using Outlook 5
Fozzie Bear Cannot post "Sneaky URL"!! Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
O Windows 10 x64 Outlook 2013 - URL does not open (anymore) Using Outlook 3
S Subject add ticket number from URL query Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C OWA External Access - No URL / URL Invalid Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky New Office365 Feature: URL Preview in OWA Using Outlook 0
F 'General failure (URL) Server execution failed' Using Outlook 1
S Create task with email URL instead of attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Creating a URL from a message body excerpt before forwarding Using Outlook 2
C Unable to forward email with URL Using Outlook 2
H URL's don't work in .oft file Using Outlook 1
C Is it possible: List of URL fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
H How can you add a URL field in a Outlook Custom Contact form? Using Outlook 6
M I have to send out a meeting invite to others that starts up a URL on reminder Using Outlook 0
M Mail in HTML format can't be sent if url or number is in the body Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
S outlook 2010 in URL Using Outlook 1
C URL in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S URL opening a new email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Opening a web URL that points to PDF file... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
D href tags does not result in the full url with Redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
I Registering custom url protocol handler that Outlook recognizes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V Embedding hyperlink into Word document Using Outlook 2
Y Open and Save Hyperlink Files in multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
L Ignore hyperlink from being flagged as false pattern Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Custom form with html hyperlink Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
N open the hyperlink in Outlook directly instead of browser Using Outlook 1
M VBA Rule for removing all body but hyperlink then forwarding Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A Add Hyperlink to Task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
Q Why can't I copy image with embedded hyperlink from email to Word Using Outlook 0
A Create Macro for hyperlink(email) in message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Disable the Unsafe Hyperlink Warning when Opening Attachments Using Outlook 0
V Using custom field data in mail body + mailto hyperlink Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
C Hyperlink to an Outlook search Using Outlook 1
makinmyway Recent Files Not Updating when Using Insert Hyperlink in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
J Macro generating email using default signature and hyperlink Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Witzker HYPERLINK "mailto:test@test.com" in form body Using Outlook 21
Hudas Hyperlink Saved Outlook Email to MS Access Table Using Outlook 4
D Particular Facebook "Hyperlink" Issue In Office 2010 Outlook (32 bit) Using Outlook 5
S email body without "HYPERLINK" ( vba ) Using Outlook 6
M How to create a hyperlink to to an organizational form Using Outlook 5
J Hyperlink VBA Using Outlook 1
P Can't add a custom hyperlink to toolbar in OL 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Desable Hyperlink on email Using Outlook 3
O Hyperlink formatting lost after replacement in outlook Using Outlook 5
O Hyperlink formatting lost after replacement in outlook Using Outlook 0
G Hyperlink Using Outlook 1
T Hyperlink Issue Using Outlook 2
P Hyperlink to Access record/Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2