data files cannot be opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My friend's Outlook 2013 on Win 8.1 was unable to start and gave the message that the default ost file could not be opened.

Since it is an imap account, I just went in through Control Panel and deleted that email account and recreated it.

I then found that the other two IMAP accounts were in the same condition, so I recreated them too.

It worked for about an hour, now is giving the same message again.

I am thinking to either create a new profile, or uninstall/reinstall Outlook.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You can try an online repair (in control panel, program and features). Do you have windows updates waiting to install? If so, do that and reboot - for some reason, waiting updates makes outlook act funky, including the file can't be opened error message.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
OK the online repair seems to have fixed it.

After it finished, it is making me activate the software again. It wants either the product code or the email address. Is needing reactivation normal after an online repair?

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
yes, it usually needs to be reactivated. if it's the click to run, it should use the same license as previously, if not, you can log into the office portal and delete a computer from the list.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Yes it is the click to run. but it made us jump through all kinds of hoops. We had the product key, but it would not activate using that unless we put in the email address, which my friend could not remember. Ended up having to call MS, and then they wanted us to provide the date of activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.