Outlook 2016 Can't expose sender email address when linking outlook to access

Brian Tyrrell

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I am trying to link emails received in outlook 2016 to an access 2010 database, the clients records in the database are identified by their unique email addresses and I wish to link the client records and the linked outlook tables by exposing the "sender email field" in the outlook records. I have used Diane's excellent solution to expose the sender address in outlook but when I link the inbox to access it only links\exposes predefined fields and "Sender Email" is not one of them. Any suggestions very welcome.

Brian Tyrrell

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Does it link to the 4 user fields? If so, copy the address to one of those field (User1 - User4). (It's been forever since i last linked to access and i don't recall if it does all fields or a subset.)
Hi Daine
Thanks for coming back to me. The issue is that I have over a thousand emails in my Outlook inbox and corresponding client records in Access, I use Access to record phone calls, assets held and link into to other third party data suppliers and wanted to create a linked table into Outlook Inbox so as to be able to see email received from the clients also, ergo linking on Sender Email address which would qualify as a one to many between the client record and the linked Inbox table.
You have identified the issue in your reply, the Linked Table Wizard in Access only exposes a predefined subset of the Outlook fields available regardless of the "columns displayed format" chosen in Outlook.

I imagine what I need to do is to find some way to define which fields are exposed in the linked table subset which links to Access.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
As far as I know, you can't change the fields that are linked. If you are only working in mail, then my user1 - user4 fields won't work as they are contacts, not mail, fields. :(