Status
Not open for further replies.

don ta

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi all,

I am trying to make a script / rule / combination of both that only occurs when i receive an email from a specific address. I would like to copy the body of the address and edit two things:

• there is a hyperlink'ed word, "website" (see attached). I would like to change the address of that hyperlink
• i would like to delete the last line of the email ("Note: Sent by browser extension. Use cloud monitor and get highlighted changes in email.")

how should i go about doing this?

FYI: the main part of the body is a table with texts and images.

Attachments

• sample_body.png
    sample_body.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 857
sorry for the double post, id also like to retain the original subject line without adding the "fw"

You'll need to use regex or the Replace function. If the words are always the same, replace should work fine, although you'd need to test it since the message is html. Test it using myForward.htmlbody and if that doesn't work as expected, change .htmlbody to .body.

This is one (of the many) examples i have - Run a Script Rule: Change Subject then Forward Message - and links to more examples at the end of the article.

Code:
Sub ChangeSubjectForward(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
Set myForward = Item.Forward
myForward.Subject =    Item.Subject

'try this:
myForward.htmlbody = replace(myForward.htmlbody, "website","new website")

myForward.htmlbody = replace(myForward.htmlbody, "Note: Sent by browser extension. Use cloud monitor and get highlighted changes in email.","")

myForward.Send

End Sub

You'll need to use regex or the Replace function. If the words are always the same, replace should work fine, although you'd need to test it since the message is html. Test it using myForward.htmlbody and if that doesn't work as expected, change .htmlbody to .body.

This is one (of the many) examples i have - Run a Script Rule: Change Subject then Forward Message - and links to more examples at the end of the article.

Code:
Sub ChangeSubjectForward(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
myForward.Subject =    Item.Subject

'try this:
myForward.htmlbody = replace(myForward.htmlbody, "website","new website")

myForward.htmlbody = replace(myForward.htmlbody, "Note: Sent by browser extension. Use cloud monitor and get highlighted changes in email.","")

myForward.Send

End Sub

Hi Diane,

thank you for your help. The code sortve works!

In the testing phase, the word "website" got successfully replaced with "new website" but in actuality, because the word"website" was tied to a hyperlink so it didnt work as i intended.

Also, is there no way to replace words while keeping the HTML format?

An idea that may work is if it were possible to delete all text items in the body except for items in a table. Is that tricky?

In the testing phase, the word "website" got successfully replaced with "new website" but in actuality, because the word"website" was tied to a hyperlink so it didn't work as i intended.
I believe this is because it's HTML. Is the old word only found in the URL?

I believe this is because it's HTML. Is the old word only found in the URL?
Hi Diane,

The old word only found when it was just text. No hyperlink associated with it.

My new idea is maybe Copy just the table (and its content) and forward it, or delete everything but the table (and its content) and forward it. Which is easier to do?

Found a solution! May not be the most elegant:

Sub Modify_PSE(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
myForward.Subject = "new subject here"

Dim lTblStart As Long, lTblEnd As Long

Set myForward = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.Forward

lTblStart = InStr(1, myForward.HTMLBody, "<table")
lTblEnd = InStr(lTblStart, myForward.HTMLBody, "</table")

myForward.HTMLBody = Mid$(myForward.HTMLBody, lTblStart, lTblEnd - lTblStart + 1)
myForward.Display

myForward.Recipients.Add "some_email@email.com"

myForward.Send

End Sub

it's about the only way when you want to get a table out.

Hi Diane,

i thought i solved the issue..but for some reason it stopped working when i turned it on today.

I don't think i made any changes...i went to tools>rules>made new rule>when receiving mail with subject ____ run script>run the following:

Code:
Sub Modify_PSE(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
myForward.Subject = "new subject here"

Dim lTblStart As Long, lTblEnd As Long

Set myForward = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.Forward

lTblStart = InStr(1, myForward.HTMLBody, "<table")
lTblEnd = InStr(lTblStart, myForward.HTMLBody, "</table")

myForward.HTMLBody = Mid$(myForward.HTMLBody, lTblStart, lTblEnd - lTblStart + 1)
myForward.Display

myForward.Recipients.Add "some_email@email.com"

myForward.Send

End Sub

but when i send an email to myself, nothing happens now... any insight?

Is the macro running at all? (It is triggered by a rule, not by running it manually)

yes its running. i deleted the middle part of the code where it extracts the table and it forwards emails A.O.K

Status
Not open for further replies.