Linking Outlook 2016 Desktop To POP3 Acc't On Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Lloyd

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have a customer who uses the Outlook 2016 desktop app which syncs his email, calendar & contacts to his private POP3 email account on Outlook.com (this is not an Outlook.com account per se) via CompanionLink but I can't get it to in-turn sync with the Outlook app on his new Android phone. I just want to verify that you can sync an Outlook 2016 (this is Home & Business, not Office 365) POP3 account to a private email account (myname@mydomain.com) which has been added to Outlook.com with the latest Outlook Android app on an AT&T Galaxy 7. This would include syncing not only email but his calendar and contacts as well, as stated previously. Ideally it should sync both directions, but the precise instructions on how to do this have so far eluded me. Thanks.

So you are using Outlook.com as a calendar server but not adding the account to outlook as an exchange account? Outlook.com is now on an Office 365 Exchange server - it will sync calendar & contacts directly with outlook.com, although they will be in the outlook.com folders. You would need to use an outlook.com address to set it up as exchange. If you want to keep them in a pst (because you don't use outlook.com for email), you'd need to use companionlink.

On the phone, it would be easier to add the outlook.com account as an exchange account then set the calendar and contacts as default. Should be able to use eas.outlook.com as the server address and the non-outlook.com address, provided the mail app doesn't prevent you from adding the address twice.

If you want to sync the phone via companionlink, you'd need to use their deja service (or use USB). I think this only does calendar & contacts, not email.

Because non-outlook.com addresses send mail & meetings from outlook_[uglycode]@outlook.com, i no longer recommend using non-outlook.com addresses with it. (Plus Outlook 2016 had a bug.)

If you are using companionlink to sync outlook, it would probably be less problematic to use gmail as the calendar/contact server. Companionlink handles the gmail to outlook sync to a pst and the phone syncs directly to the gmail server. gmail handles sending from other accounts in (what i think) is a cleaner manner.

Thanks Diane. Here's what's been done so far:
1. Private email account (name@mydomain.com) has been added as an account in the "new / recently upgraded" Outlook.com domain as a POP3 account. A generic Outlook.com account has been set up for testing purposes (name@outlook.com)
2. CompanionLink has been installed and "appears" to sync Outlook 2016 Desktop (not 365) .PST folders to email, contacts & calendar to the generic Outlook.com account (but not to his private account, name@mydomain.com)
3. Outlook app on Android phone seems to do well with generic Outlook.com account set up for testing purposes (name@outlook.com) but is not connected to the "real" email account yet (due to my obvious inability to figure out how to accomplish this)
4. The goal was to go 100% Microsoft solution by using Outlook 2016 on the computer and the Outlook app on the Android for a "seamless" experience, so that he can see, send, receive & sync email, contacts & calendar equally well from either the desktop computer or his Android phone using some form of Outlook exclusively at either end, without getting "Google anything" involved in the equation.
6. From what you're saying it's looking like a Microsoft-only solution may not be feasible. He is committed to staying with an Outlook 2016 POP3 account and .PST folders on the computer end at this point in time.
Any further comments are welcome (assuming I've made things a little more clear here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Can't expose sender email address when linking outlook to access Using Outlook 3
B Linking from Excel to public outlook 2010 calendar. Using Outlook 0
G Linking Outlook to Access for Contacts in Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Linking contact to an Appointment Using Outlook 1
P Run Time Error 91 when linking contact to task in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Linking Excel Cell to Shared Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Andrew Hawkins Linking tasks Using Outlook 1
N linking an already sent/rec'd email to contact record like it did in 2000 Using Outlook 0
C Linking e-mails BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Need help concerning emails linking to BCM. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P Linking email responses to initial email sent Using Outlook 5
J Linking Contacts to a Message Where the Contact isn't an Addressee Using Outlook 1
J Custom Contacts: Linking button to website Using Outlook 4
M Custom Contact form queries (date control & contact/calender linking) Using Outlook 1
R Can't use "manage linking and tracking" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 10
K add an email to a business contact without linking/tracking sender BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K add an email to an account without linking and tracking the email address BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
W Linking dropdown values Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Not all Email folders appearing in Manage E-mail Auto-linking BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Sharing BCM contacts and linking items to records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Linking Information from Accounts to Business Contacts Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Linking a Business Contact to multiple Accounts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M linking projects and tasks data to access or excel BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Auto-linking emails by default shared DB BCM 2007 on SQL 2008 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
L Out of memory errors and Auto-linking hangs BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0