How do I upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffy1803

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2007
Hello Diane. You're very much aware of all the problems I've had with my outlook.com "in the other place"! I've now made time to upgrade to Outlook, the version that is part of my Office 365 Home product. How do I upgrade to Outlook please?

First, it's not really an "upgrade" - it's just a different way of accessing the email account.

Open Outlook on your desktop - the new account wizard will open. Enter your address and click the button. Outlook will do the rest.

I've just had a horrible thought, Diane.
I have profiles on some 140 sites and when I log on, my email address on all of them is "mynameAToutlook.com". Will I have to change my email address to "mynameAToutlook"?

No. That is the mailbox address. Outlook desktop is just a client to get into the mailbox - it replaces Outlook on the web as the client (or supplements it).

I know a fair amount about PCs etc but I have to confess that I am very confused with mail/mailboxes etc Would you point me in the direction of your articles on it please so that I can get a better understanding? Thanks

I don't have an article specifically for that. :(

You have a mailbox provided by someone - be it your ISP, Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo etc - and need to read the mail sent to your address.

Most email providers have web mail - you use a web browser to read your mail right from the mail server. You need to be connected to the internet to read your mail though.

Or you can use an email client installed on your computer to download your mail to your computer. Using an email client means you can read mail when you are not connected to the internet. You can also write an email, hit Send to add it to the outbox, but send it later. A mail client usually gives you more features and can make it easier to do things, like move mail to other folders.

It's not an either-or situation - where you always need to use a browser or an email client. If you are out and need to check mail from someone else's computer, you can still use a browser even if you use a mail client on your own computer.

Outlook software that comes with Office suite is the most well known mail client, but there are others - Windows 10 Mail, Thunderbird, eM client are just a few others - along with old, old clients like Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express. Can't forget Eudora - it was the best and most popular client before Outlook came along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook Using Outlook 2
T Many problems with outlook.com - will upgrade to Outlook soon Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
D iCloud Add-in not working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 After Windows Upgrade & iCloud Upgrade Using Outlook 2
L Upgrade from Outlook 2010-any reason to? Using Outlook 1
M Upgrade in Progress. Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
E Upgrade Issues - Office/Outlook 2007 to 2010 Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 search broken after upgrade from 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2013 - 2nd acct stopped receiving email after Win 8.1 upgrade Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2010 unable to send iCloud account e-mail after iOS 7 upgrade Using Outlook 12
L Outlook 2002-2013 upgrade Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2010 keeps asking password after upgrade Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode? Using Outlook 7
S Upgrade Outlook 2007 to outlook with Buisiness Contact m|Manger BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M re-Attaching PSTs after upgrade to 2016 Using Outlook 0
A Upgrade BCM System from 2010 to 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Diane Poremsky How to Upgrade to Color Categories Using Outlook 0
U BCM upgrade help BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
F Which upgrade should I go for and how do I do it please? Using Outlook 2
B Two Inboxes after upgrade, how to merge? Using Outlook 4
Horsepower Upgrade advice needed Using Outlook 3
B Upgrade 2003 to 2010 and max pst file size of 2GB Using Outlook 2
J Upgrade from 2003 to 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
E How to restore BCM Database after upgrade from Vista to Win7? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Upgrade to 2007, Action stopped working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Upgrade to 2007, lost 'Accounts' info BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Upgrade 2003 BCM to 2007 BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
J BCM no longer loads sqlserver after SP2 upgrade BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T Custom form created in 2003 won't print since upgrade to 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Custom form created in 2003 won't print since upgrade to 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4