Upgrade from Outlook 2010-any reason to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leander

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello all,

I have been an Outlook user since first version. I benefited greatly from hiring Diane for phone/online help a couple of years ago (plug!).

Things are working fine for me using Outlook 2010. My simple question: Is there any reason for me to upgrade to Outlook 2013 or 2016 or 365? Can I just wait until Outlook 2010 breaks or is incompatible? Main reason for the question: are later versions more secure from hacking or data loss?

My current configuration and use: Desktop, standalone, not Exchange, with occasional mail sync to iPhone, iPad. Very rare sync Tasks using CompanionLink- haven't used > 1 year. E-mail is Gmail via IMAP, and all of my archived emails seem to be duplicated locally in my PST file. OS is Windows 10 Home x64, soon to be Win 10 Pro x64.

My Outlook is part of Office 2010, and all other applications in that suite also work well for me.

I will just stick with what I have unless you think I am missing something. Thanks for any thoughts.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
With pop3 and imap, there is little rush to upgrade (for most home users, actually). My recommendation for outlook 2007 and older is to upgrade when you get a new computer - 2010 is still on the 'consider upgrading' list - it's not as urgent as upgrading older versions and could be put off for a year or two. Beyond that, you really should upgrade.

They won't be releasing updates for office 2010, but other than that, *at this time* it is only slightly less secure than the newer versions. This will change as it ages and potential 0-day exploits are not patched.

When you do decide to upgrade, i recommend the subscription version of office - this will allow you to always have the newest builds. The 'retail' versions won't get feature updates, only security updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.