How to remove a list of specific contacts from Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hey all. So I just sent my database of 25k contacts through an email verifier which spat back a list of 500 emails that are invalid. I want to get the corresponding Outlook contact files out of there obviously. Is there a way to do this in any other way but manual? Bonus points if you can also suggest a way for me to get these emails out of any contact groups they may appear in without having to open and inspect them one by one. Thanks as always..

I have some macros - Categorize Contacts with bad addresses this one is published and works with NDRs to mark bounced contacts with a category. It shows how to do a lookup using an address - you just need to change the source.

I have another that is not yet published - a client and I worked on it to clear (or update) contacts from a list in a spreadsheet. (Will try to get it published later today.) That might work in your situation. I forget how it handles groups - if he stopped using groups (because he used separate folders for each group, he didn't also need to use groups), but i have macros that work with contacts in groups.

this one - Add a Category to Contacts in a Contact Group (DL) - sets a category on contacts (category name = group name) so you know which groups they are in - that will help if a macro can't be tweaked to remove the names. Run the macro to add the group names as categories then add a 'NDR' category from the list - then manually remove names from groups. Still a little effort, but less than checking every group to see if a contact is on it.

The attached Excel macro will find contacts and delete them (or update if the spreadsheet has the address) - this will get you started -

Attachments

• find-NDR-updated.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
I have some macros - Categorize Contacts with bad addresses this one is published and works with NDRs to mark bounced contacts with a category. It shows how to do a lookup using an address - you just need to change the source.

I have another that is not yet published - a client and I worked on it to clear (or update) contacts from a list in a spreadsheet. (Will try to get it published later today.) That might work in your situation. I forget how it handles groups - if he stopped using groups (because he used separate folders for each group, he didn't also need to use groups), but i have macros that work with contacts in groups.

this one - Add a Category to Contacts in a Contact Group (DL) - sets a category on contacts (category name = group name) so you know which groups they are in - that will help if a macro can't be tweaked to remove the names. Run the macro to add the group names as categories then add a 'NDR' category from the list - then manually remove names from groups. Still a little effort, but less than checking every group to see if a contact is on it.

Thanks alot for the macros.

Right now I have a .csv file which contains one column of invalid email addresses. How should I change the macro so that Outlook can read the file source of that .csv file and compare to a contact folder in my Outlook?

From that, I should be able to categorize which email is invalid in one of my Outlook contact folder.

assuming you mean the macro in the text file (although it should the same as with others), you should only need to change the sheet name to make it work with a csv. At most, you'll need to save the csv as an excel workbook.
This is what you need to change:
change the sheet name to match your sheet name: Sheets("Sheet1").Select
change the data file to the name that shows in the navigation pane (in 2007 it might be the name, not email address): FolderPath = "alias@domain.com\Contacts"

delete this line:
Set groupFolder = cFolder.Folders(strGroup)

and change the next line to this:
Set myContacts = cFolder.items

during testing, add a ' to the error check so its easier to find errors:
' On Error Resume Next

This will need to be changed too as the original sheet had a value in columns 2 and 5 letting the user know if the address was bad or changed and which folder it was in:
Do Until Trim(Cells(i, 1).Value) = ""
strGroup = Cells(i, 5).Value
Debug.Print strGroup
strGroup = Replace(strGroup, " Grp", "")
Debug.Print strGroup

Assuming column 1 (A) has the address, i think this will work to replace the end of the macro - replace from do until... to the end with this:
strAddress = Cells(i, 1)
Set myItem = myContacts.Find("[Email1Address]=" & strAddress)

If TypeName(myItem) = "ContactItem" Then
If Not TypeName(myItem) = "Nothing" Then
myItem.categories = "Delete"
myItem.Save
End If
End If

i = i + 1
Loop

Set olApp = Nothing

End Sub

make all of the editing in a text file - then open the vba editor in excel (alt+f11) and paste it into the thisworkbook module and run it. CSV files can't store macros so you'll need to paste it in each time you need to do this - if this was just a one-off deal, there is no point in saving it in a workbook - but save the text file in case you need it again.

if you haven't used vba before, you'll need to change macro security to low to use it - excel's file, option, trust center, macro security.

assuming you mean the macro in the text file (although it should the same as with others), you should only need to change the sheet name to make it work with a csv. At most, you'll need to save the csv as an excel workbook.
This is what you need to change:
change the sheet name to match your sheet name: Sheets("Sheet1").Select
change the data file to the name that shows in the navigation pane (in 2007 it might be the name, not email address): FolderPath = "alias@domain.com\Contacts"

delete this line:
Set groupFolder = cFolder.Folders(strGroup)

and change the next line to this:
Set myContacts = cFolder.items

during testing, add a ' to the error check so its easier to find errors:
' On Error Resume Next

This will need to be changed too as the original sheet had a value in columns 2 and 5 letting the user know if the address was bad or changed and which folder it was in:
strGroup = Cells(i, 5).Value
Debug.Print strGroup
strGroup = Replace(strGroup, " Grp", "")
Debug.Print strGroup

Assuming column 1 (A) has the address, i think this will work to replace the end of the macro - replace from do until... to the end with this:
strAddress = Cells(i, 1)
Set myItem = myContacts.Find("[Email1Address]=" & strAddress)

If TypeName(myItem) = "ContactItem" Then
If Not TypeName(myItem) = "Nothing" Then
myItem.categories = "Delete"
myItem.Save
End If
End If

i = i + 1
Loop

Set olApp = Nothing

End Sub

make all of the editing in a text file - then open the vba editor in excel (alt+f11) and paste it into the thisworkbook module and run it. CSV files can't store macros so you'll need to paste it in each time you need to do this - if this was just a one-off deal, there is no point in saving it in a workbook - but save the text file in case you need it again.

if you haven't used vba before, you'll need to change macro security to low to use it - excel's file, option, trust center, macro security.

I've tried changing all the required changes. Still, I think my Excel hasn't access my Outlook contact folders. What would be the correct way to input the FolderPath as an Outlook contact folder?

I'm currently using Outlook 2013 and Excel 2013.

Are the contacts in your default contacts folder?

Are they in your default date file? Switch to the folder list pane (Ctrl+6) and see where the folder is.
This *should* work for any data file, default or not (but there is another way to reference the data data file too).

This is the line that needs changed:
FolderPath = "alias@domain.com\Contacts"

if it's a subfolder of your contacts, use
FolderPath = "alias@domain.com\Contacts\subfoldername"

if its at the same level as contacts, inbox, deleted items etc, use
FolderPath = "alias@domain.com\foldername"

For example, i would use
FolderPath = "blank@blank.com\Contacts\No Sync"
to access the subfolder of my contacts folder:
folder-names.png

Thanks for that. But it's still not working.
I guess the arrangement of this line is the problem: Set myContacts = cFolder.items

Because when you asked me to replace the Do Until Trim until the end, the line above will be deleted as well. May I know where should this line be?

Ah, sorry about that - yeah it looks like i did that wrong (a hazard of telling and not testing the macro myself :( ) - that line should be right before the do until.

No problem. Now the macro works fine. But there's one more thing, my .csv file has 530 addresses but I only got 469 addresses in the Delete category.

I've tried changing this part Set myItem = myContacts.Find("[Email1Address]=" & strAddress)

The [Email1Address] to [Email2Address] and [Email3Address]

Also, I've checked out Outlook ContactItem Object properties (ContactItem.Email3Address Property (Outlook)) and it only has these 3 properties for email.

I'm not sure why is that it can't find some of the addresses.

Ah, now I got it. It can't find certain addresses that has "." before the "@" in the email address.

For instance, emails like ace.falcon@gmail.com cannot be detected by the macro.

Please advice me.

is there more than one address on the contacts that weren't found? This: Email1Address checks the Email1 field. Yoou'll need to reun it using email2address and possibly email3address.

is there more than one address on the contacts that weren't found? This: Email1Address checks the Email1 field. Yoou'll need to reun it using email2address and possibly email3address.

Yes, I've tried changing to Email2 and Email3. There are around 60 emails that weren't found. Check out my last reply.

Ah, now I got it. It can't find certain addresses that has "." before the "@" in the email address.

For instance, emails like ace.falcon@gmail.com cannot be detected by the macro.

Please advice me.

So all addresses with a dot before @ can't be found?

This worked here - "[Email1Address]='" & strAddress & "'" - that is a single ' around the address. The resulting search string was:
[Email1Address]='accounts@slipstick.com'

Status
Not open for further replies.