Shortcuts in Folder Pane (Outlook 2016)

Post number 7 has been selected as the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
(thought I saw a reply to this before but could not find :O/)

Explorer locked up and had to reboot - Outlook was open. After several tries Windows (10) rebooted, Outlook started but all of my Shortcuts are gone! Any suggestions for getting back?

:mad::mad: Thought it was a glitch, reloaded all my (Folder Pane) Shortcuts (for the 3rd time) and it was fine for 4+weeks!?!?

Any one have a thought on what's happening? Seems to happen when Outlook shuts down abnormally.

Version

1629117189496.png

Folder pane (blank)

1629117298602.png

(posted before but no answer)

Keep losing my shortcuts in the Folder Pane. Seems to happen if Outlook hangs and ends abnormally.

Does anyone know if there is a Registry entry for this that could be saved/exported then imported back if it continues to happen?

They are stored in an xml file at C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook - you can try backing it up then restoring it. Outlook will need to be closed to backup and restore it.

Is it only the shortcuts that go missing or does the Mail Favorites and the calendar and contacts panes reset to default?

They are stored in an xml file at C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook - you can try backing it up then restoring it. Outlook will need to be closed to backup and restore it.

WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Thank you!!

Is it only the shortcuts that go missing or does the Mail Favorites and the calendar and contacts panes reset to default?

Seems to only be the shortcuts that go missing.

So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly...

Make a copy of the Outlook.xml file AND if it happens again, make sure Outlook (and any messaging apps??) is closed and replace the Outlook.xml with the backed-up version?

Double WOOOOO WHOOOOOO!!!

Found a backed up version of Outlook.XML, restored and all my shortcuts are back!!

You are my favorite for the whole rest of the week!!!!

Make a copy of the Outlook.xml file AND if it happens again, make sure Outlook (and any messaging apps??) is closed and replace the Outlook.xml with the backed-up version?
You should only need outlook.exe closed... but yes.

It's odd that just the shortcuts are lost, but it could be because they are typically outside of outlook (not shortcuts to outlook items).

You should only need outlook.exe closed... but yes.

It's odd that just the shortcuts are lost, but it could be because they are typically outside of outlook (not shortcuts to outlook items).

(be it right or wrong) I have 13 accounts dumping into one PST and the shortcuts are for numerous folders to those. Plus, my top-line folder group has all of the shortcuts to the root folders (inbox, sent, contacts, etc.) that are a pain to get to with the other 1,200 folders.

(did I mention I've been using Outlook since the 90's DOS version - ARG!)

Since they are mail folder is a pst, I'm a bit surprised they disappear. That should be stable. (IMAP folders, not so much as Outlook reloads the folder list from the server.)

Is there a reason you use shortcuts instead of adding the most used folders to the Mail Favorites?

This section at the top of the mail module - this is from a test mailbox, so it only has the default folders (and some from a shared mailbox) - but you can put any mail folder there. In my own profile, I have around 25 folders from five different accounts (some are search folders).

1635477116815.png

Turn it on in the View ribbon > Folder Pane command

1635477002950.png

This section at the top of the mail module - this is from a test mailbox, so it only has the default folders (and some from a shared mailbox) - but you can put any mail folder there. In my own profile, I have around 25 folders from five different accounts (some are search folders).

View attachment 3456

Turn it on in the View ribbon > Folder Pane command

View attachment 3455

I do not have a Favorites menu item

1635508611249.png

This is what my Folders Pane (Shortcuts) looks like

1635508745185.png

Are you using the Folders module or the Mail module? Favorites is only an option in the mail module - If you use the Folders module, you won't have favorites.

1635558938549.png

Are you using the Folders module or the Mail module? Favorites is only an option in the mail module - If you use the Folders module, you won't have favorites.

View attachment 3459

So yes, the Folders module (and up until 5 minutes ago I never looked hard enough to see the differences!?)

Can you point me in the direction of a tutorial explaining the use of each? (I've been using Outlook (or Mail version there of) since DOS and have always found the path to, how can I make this work like the version I was just using, 'cause I don't have time to learn something new :rolleyes:, on every update/grade since!)

I'm not aware of a tutorial. The folder list is an Outlook original - the separate modules were added later. (Maybe Outlook 2003?)

The purpose of the modules is to help you focus and to keep identical folder types together.

Most users these days have no idea the folder list exists. But its extremely useful when trying to troubleshoot folder issues.

When I need to fix outlook for clients, I often switch to the folder list to see where folders (like extra calendars or contacts) are, or to look in the sync issues folder. Or I will tell forum users to open the folder list using Ctrl+6. If I forget to switch back to mail or forget to tell them how to switch back... I usually hear about it. "What happened to my view... how do I get out of this... " It's sad and funny at the same time...

If I forget to switch back to mail or forget to tell them how to switch back...

So are there issues with just using the Folders view? Are there reasons I should be using the Mail view?
(all of my accounts are POP and they all dump into 1 PST - if there is relevance in that :0/)

No, no problems. It's all personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.