Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016?

Post number 4 has been selected as the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emm

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 32-bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I made the foolish mistake, some time ago, to download and install Office 365 from the school district where I work -- this was offered to staff and students for free. At that time, we had Office 2016 available as part of that download. I have since allowed Microsoft to update me, and I'm on Office 365 versions of their software.

Now, I really miss Outlook (and Office, for that matter) 2016. Is it still possible to buy legal, standalone copies of this, anywhere?

Sorry I missed this earlier - i had it open ready to reply and my computer crashed. :(

Do not buy software from low cost sites - they sell volume licenses illegally and microsoft will shut it down, rendering your key useless.

Office 365, Office 2016, Office 2019 are all basically the same - Office 2016 is basically the original RTM version, Office 2019 is what used to be SP1, and Office 365 is the monthly updates moving towards SP2.

If you can find legal copies, yes. Finding them is more difficult, especially since the standalone versions were hard to find before.

>> At that time, we had Office 2016 available as part of that download.
Was this as HUP purchase or was it just the early versions of Office 365?

What don't you like about Office 365?

Sorry - don't know what a "HUP" purchase means ...!

I knew someone would ask what I don't like about 365. I have not kept track of the things I think I've lost with it, but I will try to make note of them and update this, at some point.

It "feels" (yes, I know how stupid that sounds) less stable, to me. It "feels" like it has a lot more features I don't need, and that I've lost or it's harder to get to features that I use frequently. I'm heavily keyboard-dependent - I don't like mousing, and I still use some of the old Alt-key keyboard shortcuts every single time I use the apps.

I don't want to have to pay for Powerpoint and Onenote and Access and whatever else they feel I need. I want Excel, Outlook, and Word. That's it.

There's more about it (mostly Excel) that I don't like, but Outlook's interface changes since 2016 have bugged me a lot, too (loss of SQL querying, for example, and lack of official documentation even on advanced search syntax).

I'm old school. I'm stubborn. I just prefer the version that I felt good with.

HUP = Home Use Program. Some companies have a volume license agreement that allows employees to buy a personal copy at a reduced rate.

It sounds like you want office home and business- it has the basics, including PowerPoint, but its the smallest suite available at retail. Finding a legit copy is going to be more difficult. Office standard was only available in volume license - so any offers for it are not legit. Any super low prices are not legit either...

Do not get home and student - it does not have outlook.

Thanks, Diane. We have some kind of Education license that allows employees to USE at home without buying.

I will search for Home & Business 2016, and give in and sign up for the 365 subscription sometime before I retire, if I don't find it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about installing my Gmail account on my iPhone but still getting messages downloaded to my desktop Outlook. Using Outlook 3
Commodore Are newer versions of Outlook still "less secure" to Google? Using Outlook 22
S Outlook 2016 Arrange tasks by date, additional custom sorting, but still use friendly terms like Today, Tomorrow, This week? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 "Item could not be moved - still an issue for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
J Will BCC messages still deliver if TO address fails Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
J "This item has been changed still want to delete it" message Using Outlook 3
A Migration to Exchange, still happening? How will I know when? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Commodore Is Outlook 2013 still connected to Skype? Using Outlook 2
R IMAP & Outlook 2007: incoming messages still going to old Inbox. Using Outlook 3
N Messages still in 'Deleted items' folder even after deleting! Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 to 2013 PST still has the 07 size limit not bigger 13 limit Using Outlook 3
R Can't modify Outlook view font with IE anymore (even though IE still affects print font) Using Outlook 5
J My Outlook program has stopped receiving. I can still send Using Outlook 1
V Lost calendar view, items still in list view Using Outlook 2
F Deleted calendar file - Outlook still searches for it Using Outlook 4
O Emails still going to Junk Mail Using Outlook 8
M Meeting deleted but still have cancelation notice in inbox and sent folders... Using Outlook 0
W disabled cached mode, but Outlook still using OST Using Outlook 2
V What is wrong with Outlook Connector - it still errors out on an EMPTY Hotmail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Mail Merge - Sent but still in Outbox Using Outlook 5
T Move archive file to new hard drive and still be ablse to access it Using Outlook 1
H 2007 Outlook not sending emails still Using Outlook 1
T Is it possible to hide a mailbox but still send on the behalf of. Exchange Server Administration 1
T Outlook 2003 - Deleted contact folders still appear in address book Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
P buy from eBay? Using Outlook 1
M which Outlook recommended to buy for moving Outlook 2000 versions Contact Data Using Outlook 2
G How can I group my customers according to what they buy or sell? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Which version to buy for Enterprise 2007? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C What do I need to buy? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1