New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress

Post number 2 has been selected as the best answer.

Chrisokia

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Operating system::    Win 11 pro
Outlook version:     Outlook 365
Email type or host:    imap

I have a new PC with Outlook 365. I put my existing imap and downloaded all emails. On my older computer when I start typing an email address in a new email or reply Outlook autocompletes the email address.
Note: I have no actual people/contacts for this mailbox (migadu) but clearly these email addresses are saved somewhere because they come up on the laptop.

Does this make sense? do I have to type each email once to get Outlook to save it?

They are in the auto complete list - you can find it in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache - its named Stream_Autocomplete_0_***.dat and is the largest file in the folder. If you have more than one large file, go by date.

Copy it to the new computer. Send a message from the computer to create a new autocomplete file - then close outlook. Put the one you copied into the folder. Rename the one Outlook created (add -old to the file name) - copy the original name and use it to rename the one from the old computer. (It's easier to do than to write about. :))
1708999529832.png

They are in the auto complete list - you can find it in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache - its named Stream_Autocomplete_0_***.dat and is the largest file in the folder. If you have more than one large file, go by date.

Copy it to the new computer. Send a message from the computer to create a new autocomplete file - then close outlook. Put the one you copied into the folder. Rename the one Outlook created (add -old to the file name) - copy the original name and use it to rename the one from the old computer. (It's easier to do than to write about. :))
View attachment 4120

went to old and found the file (largest autocompletete~)
went to roam cache
copied file name of new's existing autocomplete
renamed that file .old
moved .dat into roam cachse and renamed with copied name
sent an email
closed, reopened,
did not work.

What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 4120

Diane, I hope you do not mind if I piggy back off this thread. At least it’s not crazy old. I read what you said about moving that Autocomplete dat file. Spot on. I have done this many times. Very fast and relatively easy. But, I am having problems doing this on a current project and the only thing different is that I am migrating a POP account on one machine to an IMAP account on the other. For nothing will the change hold, it keeps creating a new dat file. I know Outlook has to be closed when doing this and will confirm that, once again. Should I expect Autocomplete to be different going from POP to IMAP? Fyi Both are running Outlook 2016 Desktop. Thanks in advance.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
W Outlook 2016 MSI - Possible to make work with O365 modern Auth & Win7? Using Outlook 4
O Outlook - How to embed font ? (If at all possible) Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 365 Can I change the possible range of highlighting colours when writing an Outlook email? Using Outlook 1
V Is it possible to collect statistics from Outlook forms? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Is it no longer possible to suppress Outlook 2019 Invalid Certificate name mismatch security alert via Registry? Using Outlook 1
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
T Exchange setup not possible with outlook.de username Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
C in outlook 2007-Contact Group-One name have 3 mail id-its possible? Using Outlook 3
D is it possible to have both a POP and IMAP account in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 5
C Is it possible to have contacts sync real-time between Outlook and iCloud? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2003 - possible to recreate corrupt account? Using Outlook 3
B Is it possible with Outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
J Is it possible to highlight a folder in Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Rules - is this possible? Using Outlook 3
K Is it possible to sync IPhone to BCM Outlook contact, calendars ... all data? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 16
J Outlook 2010: Possible to config per Profile junk list instead of per account? Using Outlook 2
K Is it possible to use BCM 2003 with Outlook 2007? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
Retired Geek Outlook on MAC delete duplicate Sent emails Using Outlook 0
S New Outlook - IMAP ISSUES and support for addins? Using Outlook 1
C outlook.com fonts Using Outlook 1
mickymakz Common challenges organizations face when integrating SharePoint and Outlook? Exchange Server Administration 0
R Outlook with several IMAP accounts generating folders with 1111 suffix Using Outlook 0
D Send email from Outlook Alias using Mac? Using Outlook 0
G Reply a selected message and remove blank space before signature Outlook 365 version 2406 64BIT Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Reply a selected message and remove blank space before signature Outlook 365 version 2406 64BIT Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
kburrows "New" Outlook Desktop App Mailbox Size Using Outlook 4
N Best way to sync calendar and contacts between Outlook 365 and Outlook on iPhone Using Outlook 4
H Macro to Delete Duplicate items in Outlook calendar where title is the same and date is the same Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Y The New Outlook - Q's & Thoughts Using Outlook 20
M Start Outlook 365 at unified inbox Using Outlook 2
B Requesting VBA code to make Outlook prompt for confirmation when deleting a task? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T In-line reply style in Outlook II Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Outlook Contact Item.Restrict where FullName is NULL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Emails with .ICS calendar invitations attached don't contents when received in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 6
W Outlook 2021 Hanging on "Sending Emails" Using Outlook 3
T Outlook Desk Top 2021 Overdoing Security Using Outlook 7
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Contacts to Google Contacts? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 365 Outlook Message "Cannot be sent because the message has changed" Using Outlook 0
J Hotmail drafts started on desktop disappear, but show in web version of Outlook Using Outlook 4
Z Hotmail account deleted from outlook and issue with account not exist Using Outlook 0
J 'Name on the security certificate is invalid or...' - Outlook on desktop talking to hotmail.com account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
J Outlook, Word, Access crash unless run in Admin mode - time dependent it seems Using Outlook 10
T Why do Outlook Desktop 2021 tasks from my wife's email show up in my task pane? Using Outlook 2
B Delete Read Receipts in Your Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook changes the "Modified" field when moving/copying a Contact. Using Outlook 0
macdotcom Outlook 365 Outlook folder export to PST archival tool - close, but need a nudge Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Outlook 2016 still feature updating Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about Outlook 2021 and Gmail Using Outlook 8