edit right pane of mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ashish

Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a mail

in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments

etc.

Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail. Which

event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail
 
M

mightyCoCo

On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a mail
> in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments
> etc.
> Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail. Which
> event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail


if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.

What Outlook version?

Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when

an item was selected.

You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.
 
A

Ashish

Thanks explorer.selectionChanged is called when switch an item or folder. It

also call when we select multiple items. I want to show some info in preview

pane when a single item is selected not for multiple selected items . But in

explorer.selectionChanged function Explorer->Selection->Count always returns

0. So i am not able to access selected item. Please suggest how to access

selected item. Why it always gives 0 as Count. Outlook version is 2003.

"mightyCoCo" <mightycoco@googlemail.com> wrote in message

news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...

On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> mail
> in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments
> etc.
> Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail. Which
> event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail


if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.

What Outlook version?

Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when

an item was selected.

You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.
 
A

Ashish

Sorry i get correct selected item

To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can

directly change preview window? Is it editable

"mightyCoCo" <mightycoco@googlemail.com> wrote in message

news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...

On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> mail
> in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments
> etc.
> Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail. Which
> event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail


if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.

What Outlook version?

Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when

an item was selected.

You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.
 
M

mightyCoCo

On Aug 11, 1:47 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry i get correct selected item
> To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can
> directly change preview window? Is it editable

> "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> > mail
> > in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments
> > etc.
> > Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail. Which
> > event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail


> if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.
> What Outlook version?
> Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when
> an item was selected.
> You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.


You could change the body of the eMail. But this change would be

persistent.

I don't know of a clean way to show a temporarily modified body.

You would need to save the original mail somewhere else and restore

it, when the selection changes.

If you need to have more fields net to subject/date etc, that might be

possible with custom forms. But I've never done this. Maybe someone

else has some insights / tips...
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Custom forms won't display in the reading pane for the most part, and the

reading pane is not editable or modifiable. You'd have to create your own

window and overlay that over the reading pane using Win32 API calls, which

is not only tricky but has the potential to crash Outlook and even Windows

if you don't know what you're doing.

"mightyCoCo" <mightycoco@googlemail.com> wrote in message

news:cd628338-dd25-45c9-b368-460e99b36f22@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...

On Aug 11, 1:47 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry i get correct selected item
> To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can
> directly change preview window? Is it editable

> "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> > mail
> > in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date body,attachments
> > etc.
> > Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail.
> > Which
> > event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail


> if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.
> What Outlook version?
> Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when
> an item was selected.
> You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.


You could change the body of the eMail. But this change would be

persistent.

I don't know of a clean way to show a temporarily modified body.

You would need to save the original mail somewhere else and restore

it, when the selection changes.

If you need to have more fields net to subject/date etc, that might be

possible with custom forms. But I've never done this. Maybe someone

else has some insights / tips...
 
A

Ashish

Thanks Ken, Thanks Mighty

I got it now. To show something in reading pane we need to make change in

mail. Without making change in mail we cant show anything extra in reading

pane as reading pane is not editable.

Well if a mail has attachment it shows an icon for it with subject in

outlook explorer. If any mail has no attachment then can we show

same/anyother icon at same place(after subject) using some programming. Is

it possible?

I did not see any property for this icon in outspy/MFCMAPI.
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:%23P$$S1oGKHA.4956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Custom forms won't display in the reading pane for the most part, and the
> reading pane is not editable or modifiable. You'd have to create your own
> window and overlay that over the reading pane using Win32 API calls, which
> is not only tricky but has the potential to crash Outlook and even Windows
> if you don't know what you're doing.

> >

>

> "mightyCoCo" <mightycoco@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> news:cd628338-dd25-45c9-b368-460e99b36f22@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 11, 1:47 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry i get correct selected item
> > To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can
> > directly change preview window? Is it editable
>

>> "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>

>> news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> > On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> > > mail
> > > in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date
> > > body,attachments
> > > etc.
> > > Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail.
> > > Which
> > > event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail

>

>> if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.
> > What Outlook version?
> > Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when
> > an item was selected.
> > You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.


> You could change the body of the eMail. But this change would be
> persistent.
> I don't know of a clean way to show a temporarily modified body.
> You would need to save the original mail somewhere else and restore
> it, when the selection changes.

> If you need to have more fields net to subject/date etc, that might be
> possible with custom forms. But I've never done this. Maybe someone
> else has some insights / tips...
 
M

mightyCoCo

On Aug 11, 5:09 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ken, Thanks Mighty
> I got it now. To show something in reading pane we need to make change in
> mail. Without making change in mail we cant show anything extra in reading
> pane as reading pane is not editable.

> Well if a mail has attachment it shows an icon for it with subject in
> outlook explorer. If any mail has no attachment then can we show
> same/anyother icon at same place(after subject) using some programming. Is
> it possible?
> I did not see any property for this icon in outspy/MFCMAPI.
> " - " <kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:%23P$$S1oGKHA.4956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> > Custom forms won't display in the reading pane for the most part, and the
> > reading pane is not editable or modifiable. You'd have to create your own
> > window and overlay that over the reading pane using Win32 API calls, which
> > is not only tricky but has the potential to crash Outlook and even Windows
> > if you don't know what you're doing.

>
> > > >

> >

> >

>
> > "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> >news:cd628338-dd25-45c9-b368-460e99b36f22@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com....
> > On Aug 11, 1:47 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry i get correct selected item
> >> To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can
> >> directly change preview window? Is it editable

>
> >> "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>
> >>news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com....
> >> On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> >> > Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When selecta
> >> > mail
> >> > in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date
> >> > body,attachments
> >> > etc.
> >> > Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail.
> >> > Which
> >> > event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail

>
> >> if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.
> >> What Outlook version?
> >> Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when
> >> an item was selected.
> >> You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.

>
> > You could change the body of the eMail. But this change would be
> > persistent.
> > I don't know of a clean way to show a temporarily modified body.
> > You would need to save the original mail somewhere else and restore
> > it, when the selection changes.

>
> > If you need to have more fields net to subject/date etc, that might be
> > possible with custom forms. But I've never done this. Maybe someone
> > else has some insights / tips...


Look at the MailItem.Attachments method to add attachements to the

MailItem.

You can generate the attachement on the fly and add it as a binary

stream or write it on disk and give the Attachemts.Add function the

path to this file on disk.

You'd need to use the MailItem.Save method if you are finished to not

loose your changes.
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

The InfoBar is also not modifiable or exposed. What could be done possibly

is to use the model for previewers (like for previewing PDF attachments in

the reading pane) to display custom information. That would be Outlook 2007

only or later, and I'm not sure it's actually doable. I've never played with

that for that purpose, only for an actual previewer. But it's the only

possibility I can think of.

"Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:urRr%23XpGKHA.4416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Ken, Thanks Mighty
> I got it now. To show something in reading pane we need to make change in
> mail. Without making change in mail we cant show anything extra in reading
> pane as reading pane is not editable.

> Well if a mail has attachment it shows an icon for it with subject in
> outlook explorer. If any mail has no attachment then can we show
> same/anyother icon at same place(after subject) using some programming. Is
> it possible?
> I did not see any property for this icon in outspy/MFCMAPI.
 
A

Ashish

So if we need to show attachment icon in a mail which has no attachment then

we need add an extra attachment.

What about outlook objects? I think using outlook Objects we can make change

locally for a user not on exchange server. Is it possible to change mail

view using outlook object model? Is there any link how to use outlook

objects in outlook addin?

"Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:urRr%23XpGKHA.4416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Ken, Thanks Mighty
> I got it now. To show something in reading pane we need to make change in
> mail. Without making change in mail we cant show anything extra in reading
> pane as reading pane is not editable.

> Well if a mail has attachment it shows an icon for it with subject in
> outlook explorer. If any mail has no attachment then can we show
> same/anyother icon at same place(after subject) using some programming. Is
> it possible?
> I did not see any property for this icon in outspy/MFCMAPI.
> " - " <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:%23P$$S1oGKHA.4956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> > Custom forms won't display in the reading pane for the most part, and the
> > reading pane is not editable or modifiable. You'd have to create your own
> > window and overlay that over the reading pane using Win32 API calls,
> > which is not only tricky but has the potential to crash Outlook and even
> > Windows if you don't know what you're doing.
>

>> > >

> >

>

>
>
>
>
>
>> "mightyCoCo" <mightycoco@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > news:cd628338-dd25-45c9-b368-460e99b36f22@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> > On Aug 11, 1:47 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry i get correct selected item
> >> To make change in preview window should i add info to mail or we can
> >> directly change preview window? Is it editable
> >
>>> "mightyCoCo" <mightyc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> >
>>> news:5d351c66-3e09-4e9c-babf-1d24e0f81a0a@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> >> On Aug 10, 4:28 pm, "Ashish" <akohli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
>>> > Is it possible to edit mail right pane in outlook addin? When select a
> >> > mail
> >> > in outlook right pane shows its field like subject,date
> >> > body,attachments
> >> > etc.
> >> > Can we show some extra information in right pane when select a mail.
> >> > Which
> >> > event is call when show right pane(select mail) for any mail
> >
>>> if i got it right, you refer to the preview pane of an email.
> >> What Outlook version?
> >> Look into the Explorer.SelectionChanged event. this is triggered, when
> >> an item was selected.
> >> You may be able to modify certain information's in the selected item.

>

>> You could change the body of the eMail. But this change would be
> > persistent.
> > I don't know of a clean way to show a temporarily modified body.
> > You would need to save the original mail somewhere else and restore
> > it, when the selection changes.
>

>> If you need to have more fields net to subject/date etc, that might be
> > possible with custom forms. But I've never done this. Maybe someone
> > else has some insights / tips...


>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You can change the view by setting the Explorer.CurrentView object to the

view you want. You can also create a new view using XML and set that.

Of course you can work with Outlook objects in an Outlook addin, just use

the Outlook object model. How else do you think you'd work with Outlook

objects? You can look at the Object Browser Help as well as at Web sites

such as www.outlookcode.com for lots of Outlook object model code samples.

"Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:%23Wim291GKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> So if we need to show attachment icon in a mail which has no attachment
> then we need add an extra attachment.

> What about outlook objects? I think using outlook Objects we can make
> change locally for a user not on exchange server. Is it possible to change
> mail view using outlook object model? Is there any link how to use outlook
> objects in outlook addin?
 
A

Ashish

Yes we can create/change view using XML. But how to add attachment

icons/name in XML? Is there any example available?

What's advantages of using Outlook object model?

Can we also change view using Outlook object model
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:OCyE673GKHA.4620@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You can change the view by setting the Explorer.CurrentView object to the
> view you want. You can also create a new view using XML and set that.

> Of course you can work with Outlook objects in an Outlook addin, just use
> the Outlook object model. How else do you think you'd work with Outlook
> objects? You can look at the Object Browser Help as well as at Web sites
> such as www.outlookcode.com for lots of Outlook object model code samples.

> >

>

> "Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23Wim291GKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > So if we need to show attachment icon in a mail which has no attachment
> > then we need add an extra attachment.
>

>> What about outlook objects? I think using outlook Objects we can make
> > change locally for a user not on exchange server. Is it possible to
> > change mail view using outlook object model? Is there any link how to use
> > outlook objects in outlook addin?

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You can't add anything to an XML view that's not supported as a view XML

tag. I'm not sure what you mean by adding attachment names and icons to the

view, but nothing related to attachments is supported in view XML.

In Outlook 2007 they added a lot of new View stuff that wasn't there in

earlier versions of Outlook, but still not what you want.

"Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:eWBWFhxHKHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Yes we can create/change view using XML. But how to add attachment
> icons/name in XML? Is there any example available?

> What's advantages of using Outlook object model?
> Can we also change view using Outlook object model
 
A

Ashish

What i want to do?

When select a folder in outlook addin, show attachment icon for all

mails(which dont have any attachment) under this folder.

By default outlook displays attachment icon for those mails which have

attachments. But here i want to do it for those mails which dont have

attachments.

When select a mail(which dont have attachment) in outlook addin show an

attachment in right pane for this mail(this attachment exist on local system

and display in right pane of selected mail), this attachment should not add

to exchange server for this mail but we can show attachment in outlook only.

Is that possible? is there any way to do it
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:uoEc1E0HKHA.6068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> You can't add anything to an XML view that's not supported as a view XML
> tag. I'm not sure what you mean by adding attachment names and icons to
> the view, but nothing related to attachments is supported in view XML.

> In Outlook 2007 they added a lot of new View stuff that wasn't there in
> earlier versions of Outlook, but still not what you want.

> >

>

> "Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eWBWFhxHKHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > Yes we can create/change view using XML. But how to add attachment
> > icons/name in XML? Is there any example available?
>

>> What's advantages of using Outlook object model?
> > Can we also change view using Outlook object model

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

No, what you want is not possible. Instead of beating your head trying to do

something that can't be done why not re-architect your design?

"Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:OWFauB%23HKHA.1684@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> What i want to do?
> When select a folder in outlook addin, show attachment icon for all
> mails(which dont have any attachment) under this folder.
> By default outlook displays attachment icon for those mails which have
> attachments. But here i want to do it for those mails which dont have
> attachments.

> When select a mail(which dont have attachment) in outlook addin show an
> attachment in right pane for this mail(this attachment exist on local
> system and display in right pane of selected mail), this attachment
> should not add to exchange server for this mail but we can show attachment
> in outlook only.

> Is that possible? is there any way to do it
 
A

Ashish

Thank you very much for clearing this doubt.
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:%23nHzAPAIKHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> No, what you want is not possible. Instead of beating your head trying to
> do something that can't be done why not re-architect your design?

> >

>

> "Ashish" <akohli_2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OWFauB%23HKHA.1684@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > What i want to do?
> > When select a folder in outlook addin, show attachment icon for all
> > mails(which dont have any attachment) under this folder.
> > By default outlook displays attachment icon for those mails which have
> > attachments. But here i want to do it for those mails which dont have
> > attachments.
>

>> When select a mail(which dont have attachment) in outlook addin show an
> > attachment in right pane for this mail(this attachment exist on local
> > system and display in right pane of selected mail), this attachment
> > should not add to exchange server for this mail but we can show
> > attachment in outlook only.
>

>> Is that possible? is there any way to do it

>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Edit attachment Save and Reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F VBA code to dock Styles whenever I write or edit an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Edit auto-complete list in Outlook 2016+/365? Using Outlook 0
J Message search and edit, another way? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Edit subject - and change conversationTopic - using VBA and redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
N VBA Script to Open highlighted e-mail and Edit Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
S Outlook.com cannot edit some contacts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
D Edit Subject (Multiple Accounts) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B My outlook calendar edit issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D VBA to edit body of incoming email and forwarding it Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
Diane Poremsky Edit and Save Outlook's Read-Only Attachments Using Outlook 0
P "Edit Message" feature removed in Outlook 2016 for Mac Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
snissen Where is "Edit Message" in Outlook 2016? Using Outlook 2
P People/Contact Record gets deleted when I edit it? Using Outlook 3
C Edit/Create Pen Not Working Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
X Bulk edit Contact forms Using Outlook 2
A Contact address disappears when opened to edit Using Outlook 5
J Can invitee edit details? Using Outlook 1
R Edit Subject Line of Meeting Invitation? Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2013: Cannot Edit default Holiday Calendar Using Outlook 2
V Custom form won't open for edit Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Bulk Edit contact notes BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Edit Subject for every sent message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Any way to edit the message field on a 2010 Outlook Form? Using Outlook 3
S OL 2010 shortcut to edit received mail Using Outlook 3
A Cannot edit or open existing contact nor add new ones. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Exchange 2010: 'could not save item' and 'Unknown error' when edit calendars Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook 2003: Cannot edit default Contact Form Using Outlook 11
S how can i edit email address/es from the from field Using Outlook 5
M How to edit a monthly calendar to remove the cover page Using Outlook 1
S How do I edit an attachment in an invite without notifying the attendees? Using Outlook 2
B Notice to user of appt. set by person with permission to edit (Outlook 2003) Using Outlook 7
H Edit email message Using Outlook 7
F Text Format Change - Bulk Edit Contact Notes Using Outlook 2
T Unable to edit Distribution Group membership via Outlook (works via ECP). Exchange Server Administration 7
D How do I edit a macro in Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Currency Edit Control on custom Taskpanes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Currency Edit Control on custom Taskpanes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Correct way to Identify is Mail is opened in Edit Mode Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Any way to make Outlook Calendar invitations look right to Gmail/Google Calendar users? Using Outlook 3
D cannot view emails in View pane (in the right pane), I only see one line or nothing Using Outlook 21
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How can I change the font size on right side appointment pane Using Outlook 12
C Set reminder / appointment by right clicking email Using Outlook 1
C how to remove icons on right hand side outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
williamlambton Reinstate "Open" button on mail item right-click context menu. Outlook Wishlist 2
T Forwarded long email moves text to the right Using Outlook 1
Emerogork How do I remove "Delete Folder" from the right-click menu? Using Outlook 1
L Add to Right Click Menu Using Outlook 10

Similar threads

Top