Outlook.com cannot edit some contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
When I try to edit contact details, I go to save my changes I get the message "The contact cannot be updated right now. Please try again later."

This does not happen on all my contacts but many of them.

The issue has persisted for weeks/months.

Any idea how to fix it?

No I cannot update them later.

I have been attempting all edits in Outlook.com, rather than desktop Outlook 2016.

I am assuming your question normal/old contact form etc relates to edits in Outlook 2016?

I did today try to change a birth date in Outlook 2016 and that change was accepted (having not been accepted in Outlook.com), but it created a duplicate entry in the Calendar (not in the Birthday Calendar), so I deleted it.

Annoyingly, this issue does not relate to all contacts fields or all contacts, but there is no obvious pattern; although trying to change birth dates is frequently denied in Outlook.com (I was doing this to test my other forum post).

I did today try to change a birth date in Outlook 2016 and that change was accepted (having not been accepted in Outlook.com), but it created a duplicate entry in the Calendar (not in the Birthday Calendar), so I deleted it.
This is normal behavior - when you add or change a birthdate, outlook creates a birthday event in the calendar. if something causes the current birthday event to be disconnected from the contact, it creates a new one rather than updating the existing event.

I am assuming your question normal/old contact form etc relates to edits in Outlook 2016?
Yeah... the 'old' form is the one used in all versions of outlook, the new one is a simpler card view - it was editable in outlook 2013 and in some builds of 2016, but is no longer editable.

This is the Contact card - this is from the newest builds of 2016 and is not editable - there is an edit link on the older cards.

contact-card.png

this is the old contact form.
contact-form.png

This is normal behavior - when you add or change a birthdate, outlook creates a birthday event in the calendar. if something causes the current birthday event to be disconnected from the contact, it creates a new one rather than updating the existing event.

Many thanks.

Could the fact I cannot edit many of the birth dates in Outlook.com be related to this?

As a general point, is it best practice to only make edits of contacts/calendar in Outlook.com, rather than the desktop Outlook 2016 (and just treat Outlook 2016 as a “view” of the info)?

As a general point, is it best practice to only make edits of contacts/calendar in Outlook.com, rather than the desktop Outlook 2016 (and just treat Outlook 2016 as a “view” of the info)?
it shouldn't matter - we don't recommend editing on a smartphone as some people have issues (usually dupes) when they do... but outlook or outlook on the web shouldn't affect it.

So far, i can't repro the problem, os it makes it hard to determine where to place the blame or how to fix it. But I will keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Cannot access outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
reefclaw Outlook 2013 Cannot set outlook.com account as default data file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2016 and Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3
C Outlook FROM ADDRESS -Outlook.com and Android Using Outlook 1
Z Outlook.com OST Stopped working without explanation Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Reminder duplication Outlook and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
D Outlook.com premium finally dying... what do I do with my domain? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
T upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook Using Outlook 2
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
T How do I upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook? Using Outlook 5
T Many problems with outlook.com - will upgrade to Outlook soon Using Outlook 1
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
dbjdbj Is it only me having a fun time with Outlook.com "beta" ? Using Outlook 3
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
I New Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
K Outlook.com is not showing, or finding via search, all my Contacts (People) Using Outlook 0
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
D Sharing outlook.com calendars in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
T outlook.com opens with "item not found" Using Outlook 1
M Can't send email in outlook.com Using Outlook 9
T BitDefender reporting outlook.com as 'insecure' Using Outlook 6
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
C Syncing on outlook.com Using Outlook 4
S Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
B Outlook.com People Limits Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 11
Rupert Dragwater How to create a new email with @outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 32
M Outlook.com autocomplete list invaded by strange items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
J Outlook 2016 message content does not display - outlook.com; exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
M Mailbox Size Outlook.com or Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1
A remove or turn off outlook.com contact folder from outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Long List Of Outlook 2016/Outlook.com Bugs // Where To Report? Using Outlook 10
M How many days are items in Recover Deleted at Outlook.com ? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
Fozzie Bear Correct Method to set up Outlook.com accounts as Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
W Cant connect to outlook.com from outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2