• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Many birthday dates show up 1 day late on my iPhone 8 (iOS11) default contacts list, although they show up correctly on the iPhone calendar.

For example a birthday correctly entered in Outlook.com for March 8 1995 would display in iPhone contacts as March 9 1995, but would appear correctly on March 8 1995 in iPhone calendar.

This problem exists for many but not all contacts.

I am based in Europe if that matters (and my time zone is correct).

Any idea how to fix it?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
would display in iPhone contacts as March 9 1995, but would appear correctly on March 8 1995 in iPhone calendar.
Really? I can see reminders being goofy, but the only way the dates would be wrong on contacts is if there is a TZ assigned to the date, which their shouldn't be. (A TZ will be assigned to all day events, which may make them appear to span 2 days).

Do you remember anything about where/when you created the contacts or added the birth date? This might help us figure out what is going on. For example, if all correct ones were edited in outlook, or are new and old ones created on the phone or are old we could probably blame the time zone (but its still weird that it affects the date on the contact.)

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Before answering your questions, I now have a bigger Birthday Calendar issue.

In an attempt to fix this issue, I went into the Outlook.com calendar and selected Options > Birthday Calendar and selected Turn Off The Birthday Calendar and Saved this.

I then selected Turn On The Birthday Calendar and Saved this.

Unfortunately, this has caused all my birthday entries to disappear on the Birthday Calendar.

There is a tab both at the side and top of the Outlook.com Calendar page that implies Birthday Calendar is turned on, but there are no entries.

I did Calendar Settings > Refresh but there was no change.

In Outlook 2016 the Birthday Calendar is switched on but again there are no entries.

Any idea how I can get the Birthday Calendar to reappear? The birth date data remains in the People section of Outlook.com.

Back to your questions re my original question.

I can assure you the problem exists, and there is an identical issue with Outlook.com Birthdays with my wife’s iPhone 7 (iOS11).

Essentially all (99%+) Contacts and Birthday Info was entered directly into Outlook.com People section (on the web), on the assumption this was the “Master Copy”.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Unfortunately, this has caused all my birthday entries to disappear on the Birthday Calendar.
That should be temporary, until Exchange takes the time to read the contacts and rebuild the Birthday events.

I can assure you the problem exists, and there is an identical issue with Outlook.com Birthdays with my wife’s iPhone 7 (iOS11).
I don't doubt it exists - just trying to figure out where the wrong date is getting picked up. It's like the date is January 9 2018 in Pacific time, which is tomorrow in your time, at least for part of the day.

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
That should be temporary, until Exchange takes the time to read the contacts and rebuild the Birthday events.
Many thanks Diane.

Should I expect Exchange to rebuild the Birthday events in the next 24 hours or so?

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Yes, sometime within 24 hours, if not sooner.
It’s been about 48 hours since I turned my Birthday Calendar back on, but there are still no entries in the Birthday Calendar.

The Birthday Calendar is present in both Outlook.com and Outlook 2016, but is blank.

All the underlying birth date data exists in the People section of Outlook.com.

Any ideas how I can get the birthday entries to reappear?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
As an FYI, there is/was a bug in the birthday calendar - the person who told me about it doesn't have the details though, so we don't know if its your bug or something else. When i hear more, i will let you know.

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Thanks, Diane.

Do you know whether the recently announced Outlook.com Calendar beta is just a visual redesign, or is it a more comprehensive overall that could potentially fix some issues/bugs?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
i believe that is basically visual redesign. The person who is working the bug said the issue is named "Items from contacts not showing up in birthday calendar" - so that applies to the second problem for sure.