1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: address book "when sending email" bug?
    Dismiss Notice

Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com

Discussion in 'Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook' started by Nasr Samie, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Nasr Samie

Nasr Samie

Dear Diane

I use Office 365 Home with both a gmail and and an IMAP e-mail account. Both accounts have been setup on OutIook365 and my gmail and IMAP account e-mails are syncing on my laptop and Android phone (i have the Outlook app loaded on my phone).

However my gmail calendar appointments only reflect on my Android phone and any new gmail appointments I setup do not sync with Outlook on my laptop. Please note that my Outlook Calendar on my laptop denotes "(This computer only").

Also on the Outlook app on my phone I can only book appointments using my gmail account and not with my IMAP account as this option is not listed. My IMAP account also calendar does not sync on Outlook. I understand that this is because IMAP support only extends to e-mails and not calendar and contacts.

I understand that I can use Outlook.com to sync the calendar for my IMAP e-mail account to Outlook in the background, I assume thereby my calendar and appointments on the Outlook apps on my Android phone and tablet would also synchronize.

I have tried setting up the IMAP e-mail account on Outlook.com and received the following error message "A TLS API error occurred. Error = 0x80090326"

I have mailed Microsoft support on 3 separate occasions with no response. The e-mail ticket number on my last e-mail to them is 5240071. It has been 3 weeks now.

Could you please assist or advise urgently as I am at my wits end.

Kind regards

Nas'r Samie

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

imap only syncs email, not calendar and contacts. The android syncs them using the gmail calendar and contacts api. You don't want to use those folder labeled this computer only - if anything happens to the data file, you will be unable to recover the items in those folders.

If you are trying to use the connected account option in outlook.com, it doesn't sync gmail calendar & contacts yet. You'd need a second account in outlook at this time - the gmail account and an outlook.com account.

In the coming months, outlook for windows will offer the ability to sync gmail using the microsoft cloud - this will sync calendar and contacts between gmail, outlook.com servers, and windows desktop using outlook 2016 or the Win 10 mail app. It will be seamless and in the background. It's in Win10 mail, outlook 2016 for mac and the outlook app for phones, not sure when it will come to outlook for windows and is slowly being offered to end users. If offered and accepted, the account is added to the outlook client as an Exchange account.

Is this when you try to add the gmail account as a connected account in outlook.com on the web?
    Are you using 2-factor auth with the gmail account? if so, you need to use the app password. If not, I'll see if i can repro with my account and figure out what is wrong.