Not open for further replies.
J

Jake

Is it possible to create a search folder that searches tasks instead of

messages?

If so, how?

Jacob

You'd have to do that using code. The search folder creation user interface

only supports creation of search folders for messages.

"Jake" <Jake> wrote in message

news:47447A09-747D-4058-8121-C755FED7122F@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to create a search folder that searches tasks instead of
> messages?

> If so, how?

> Jacob

If someone would be looking for this:

Here's a sample code.

And here's some my comments to it...

Why not use instant search? You can 'save' the criteria in a macro.

Code:
Sub SearchMacro() 

Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application 

txtSearch = "-search-criteria-here" 

myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeCurrentFolder 'limits it to the current folder 

Set myOlApp = Nothing 

End Sub

I use a search macro to replace Activities- Use Instant search to find messages from a contact - Slipstick Systems

On the other hand, as easy as it is to make custom views, I would do that over search folders or macros. The search folder and views filter is identical, the results are identical - the only thing not identical is that the results are in-place rather than a persistent search folder.

Why not use instant search? You can 'save' the criteria in a macro.

I use a search macro to replace Activities- Use Instant search to find messages from a contact - Slipstick Systems

Thanks for your suggestion, though, there are several drawbacks:

1. How do you launch you macro (if it's,say, a search for "done green tasks")? How many clicks does it take? Or, do you add each search as a button on ribbon?

As for me, folders are better, firstly, because they are well-located in the user interface. It's easy to navigate through them...
  2. All views (except ToDo list) are limited to a single account. While I'd like, say, to see EVERYTHING (mail, done tasks, not started tasks...) in a green category...

The only way to do it is to search through "All Outlook items", but this might be rather slow.. (while search folders search in the background)

On the other hand, as easy as it is to make custom views, I would do that over search folders or macros.

I like the idea of custom views, though

1. There's just not enough space on the ribbon for all those custom views I'd like to have
  2. They can not be categorized in a hierarchic way (like folders) so that it would be simpler to find a specific one.
  3. They are limited to a single folder (except ToDo list, which is special)

The search folder and views filter is identical, the results are identical - the only thing not identical is that the results are in-place rather than a persistent search folder.

In general, i should agree with you.

However

1. The major difference is the way how you access them - you won't be able to conveniently deal with many categories, while there's not a big deal to create a hierarchy of 20 folders.
  2. Search folders may have specific scope (a set of folders, say, colleagues) , which also might be useful....

Launch macros: ribbon or QAT buttons. It's one click. Yeah, takes up space on the ribbon (i have a ribbon just for macros)

An all items search shouldn't be slow - it uses the instant search index. Search folders are limited to one account, views to one folder at a time and instant search can search all folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Search folder for tasks in all task folders Using Outlook 1
A Search folders for tasks Using Outlook 1
G Search Folders and Jump to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
D Search Results Highlighting even in the search folders Using Outlook 1
K Macro to search emails between two time slots on public folders with excel export Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
B Search Folder for search messages in more than one account and / or multiple PST folders Using Outlook 3
Z Search in 2 folders with their subfolders Using Outlook 16
C Custom Search Folders deleted, /resetnavpane, can i restore? How? Exchange Server Administration 1
N Using Categories & Search Folders with multiple accounts Using Outlook 4
J Dynamic date range for Outlook Search folders Using Outlook 2
Commodore Outlook 2010 - Search Folders position Using Outlook 6
B Search contact folders Using Outlook 2
T search folders to segregate internal e-mails ( from company domain ) vs exter Using Outlook 1
S Search Indexing (Copying Folders) Using Outlook 0
T Can not drag e-mails from search to folders Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010: How do you enable Contacts' Activities to search archive folders Using Outlook 6
M Stop Search folders from disabling every 1-2 days? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M How do I delete Search folders? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Search message, then (1) Jump to folder & (2) Select message that you searched for Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A 'search people' now asks me to 'press enter' Using Outlook 8
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
A Search folder and move the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
T How to find or display the sub-folder name for an Archive Search Using Outlook 10
P Search folder: all emails sent to or from a domain Using Outlook 1
T Outlook365 search item listed as "potential matches" can't be opened Using Outlook 0
Victor_50 Outlook 2019 Jump to folder from search folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro GoTo user defined search folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J Outlook search bar in Office 2021 Professional Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 365 Search Box reverting to old location Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 search no longer works Using Outlook 2
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
J search doesn't find anything Using Outlook 1
kkqq1122 How would I add Search for attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Any way to force sort by/group by on search results with VBA? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Search and Find Email by Folder Name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Search not accurate, but not indexing Using Outlook 9
J How do you disable address search box when typing @ in body of email? Using Outlook 0
H Outlook 2019 intermittent search results Using Outlook 0
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
mll persistently customise columns in outlook advanced search Using Outlook 3
S vba outlook search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S VBA search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Search Email Header for Content Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Posts in Folder No Longer Group by Conversation Column After Search Using Outlook 0