Jake

Is it possible to create a search folder that searches tasks instead of

messages?

If so, how?

Jacob

K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You'd have to do that using code. The search folder creation user interface

only supports creation of search folders for messages.

"Jake" <Jake> wrote in message

news:47447A09-747D-4058-8121-C755FED7122F@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to create a search folder that searches tasks instead of
> messages?

> If so, how?

> Jacob

i3v

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
If someone would be looking for this:

Here's a sample code.

And here's some my comments to it...

Forum Admin

Why not use instant search? You can 'save' the criteria in a macro.

Code:
Sub SearchMacro() 

Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application 

txtSearch = "-search-criteria-here" 

myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeCurrentFolder 'limits it to the current folder 

Set myOlApp = Nothing 

End Sub
I use a search macro to replace Activities- Use Instant search to find messages from a contact - Slipstick Systems

On the other hand, as easy as it is to make custom views, I would do that over search folders or macros. The search folder and views filter is identical, the results are identical - the only thing not identical is that the results are in-place rather than a persistent search folder.

i3v

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Why not use instant search? You can 'save' the criteria in a macro.

I use a search macro to replace Activities- Use Instant search to find messages from a contact - Slipstick Systems
Thanks for your suggestion, though, there are several drawbacks:

1. How do you launch you macro (if it's,say, a search for "done green tasks")? How many clicks does it take? Or, do you add each search as a button on ribbon?

As for me, folders are better, firstly, because they are well-located in the user interface. It's easy to navigate through them...
  2. All views (except ToDo list) are limited to a single account. While I'd like, say, to see EVERYTHING (mail, done tasks, not started tasks...) in a green category...

The only way to do it is to search through "All Outlook items", but this might be rather slow.. (while search folders search in the background)

On the other hand, as easy as it is to make custom views, I would do that over search folders or macros.
I like the idea of custom views, though

1. There's just not enough space on the ribbon for all those custom views I'd like to have
  2. They can not be categorized in a hierarchic way (like folders) so that it would be simpler to find a specific one.
  3. They are limited to a single folder (except ToDo list, which is special)

The search folder and views filter is identical, the results are identical - the only thing not identical is that the results are in-place rather than a persistent search folder.
In general, i should agree with you.

However

1. The major difference is the way how you access them - you won't be able to conveniently deal with many categories, while there's not a big deal to create a hierarchy of 20 folders.
  2. Search folders may have specific scope (a set of folders, say, colleagues) , which also might be useful....

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Launch macros: ribbon or QAT buttons. It's one click. Yeah, takes up space on the ribbon (i have a ribbon just for macros)

An all items search shouldn't be slow - it uses the instant search index. Search folders are limited to one account, views to one folder at a time and instant search can search all folders.