The add-in "C:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopO..." could not be installed

• Thread starter needhelpwithwindowsxp
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

needhelpwithwindowsxp

Whenever i open microsoft outlook i get the above message in the title and then I choose detect and repair from the help menu. It is not correcting the problem. What do i do next?

I would disable the Google Desktop Search add-in via Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Other -> COM Add-Ins (going from memory here, may be off). If Outlook starts correctly the next time, uninstall GDS first before you install it again. Hopefully it'll behave properly.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

in microsoft outlook i went to tools>options and the tabs are preferences, mail setup, mail format, spelling, security, other. I did not find an advanced tab, under the other tab i did not see com add ins.

Sorry - try the Advanced Options button on the Other tab. Then you'll see the COM Add-Ins button.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

under other>advanced options>COM ADD-Ins there is a check in the box itunes Outlook Addin

location is C;\program files\itunes\itunesoutlookaddin.dll

load behavior: load at start up

choices: ok, cancel, add, remove

what do i do next?

how does this relate to google or google search?

usingi correct was suggested in the error response. I went through the detect and repair three times and there was no improvement. same result error

Check if you have Google desktop search listed in "Programs and Features" under "Control Panel". If you do, uninstall it restart the computer and then try to open Outlook.

in control panel there is no programs and features.

in add remove programs there is no google desktop search

Try creating a new profile for Outlook and then check if it resolves your issue.

Click here for information on creating Outlook profiles.

Do you not see Google Desktop Search listed amongst the COM Add-Ins? If you see it, uncheck it. Do the same for iTunes unless you actually do synch some of your Outlook data with your Apple device.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

Creating a new profile will not help. Add-ins are not bound to specific profiles and are either loaded for all users or the current user.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

Did you uncheck Google Desktop Search in the COM Add-Ins list as per my second last post?(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

please see my earlier post:

under other>advanced options>COM ADD-Ins there is a check in the box itunes Outlook Addin

location is C;\program files\itunes\itunesoutlookaddin.dll

load behavior: load at start up

choices: ok, cancel, add, remove

what do i do next?

how does this relate to google or google search?

usingi correct was suggested in the error response. I went through the detect and repair three times and there was no improvement. same result error

I did not view google there just the itunes and the 4 choices

Let me get this straight - the error message you get refers to the Google Desktop Search addin failing to load, but you don't have it listed in the COM Add-Ins dialog and you don't have it listed in Add/Remove Programs?

For Outlook 2003, there's another location to check for add-ins that are loaded for all users (the COM Add-Ins dialog only shows add-ins installed for the current user). Check this path in the registry (via Regedit.exe):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

Tell me if you have GDS listed there. If so, delete the entire GDS key (be careful not to delete the Addins registry folder itself). Or you can just change the LoadBehavior value to 0 to prevent the add-in from loading.

(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

In control panel>add or remove programs:

they are listed by alphabet and under g thoe only item is glary utilities. I went through the whole list and found no google items. At one time I had google on my computer and had uninstalled it. Perhaps there is some residual somewhere but it is not seen in add or remove programs.

I would like help where i do not edit the registry as I would be stranded without a back up plan.

going to start>run>regedit.exe>

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\office\outlook\addins

this is the result:

Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1

MobileMe.AddIn

OutlookAddIn.Connect

OutlookChangeNotifier.Connect

Search.OutlookToolbar

I installed a program called search everything and entered google and there are numberous results:

it indicates program files and there there are four folders: crash reports, googletoolbarnotifier, update, chromstandalonesetup_154_50.exe

the other results reveal google desktop, google local search history, custom buttons, and for apple there are com.google.ContacSync, com.google.contactsync.client.resources

Did you find and delete the extend.dat file yet? When an addin tries to load that doesn't exist you;ll get this error because extend.dat tries to load it.

paste this line in the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter to open to the folder location where extend.dat is stored.

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

please explain in detail what you want me to do. i am not comfortable working in the registry. What are the options? If registry work is the only option what are the backup plans. Please let me know what pitfalls may occur before I start on the path to where my only option is to communicate via this board via a working computer.

No registry editing required. Close Outlook. copy and paste

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

into the address bar of windows explorer and press enter to open Explorer to that folder. Delete extend.dat and restart outlook. Outlook will recreate the file.

It's 100% safe to delete that file - its just a list of installed addins. for whatever reason, Outlook didn't remove google desktop from it so it thinks it should be loaded. Since it no longer exists, you get the error.

You may rename the extend.dat to extend. Old and check if it helps.

Default locations:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows Vista and 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

I am a novice and do not find windows explore in my programs list. How do I open windows explorer to follow your comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.