The add-in "C:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopO..." could not be installed

• Thread starter needhelpwithwindowsxp
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a novice and do not find windows explore in my programs list. How do I open windows explorer to follow your comments?

My Computer link on the start menu will open Windows Exlorer. Or, if you have the run command on the start menu, you can use it.

Copy

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and paste it into the field.

See this quick video: http://slipstick.me/jing/extend.swf

I found windows explorer in all programs>accessories and when I opened it I did not find a place to enter the copy and paste

Then I clicked on search and entered: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

The response was: nothing found.

Then I opened software called search everything and entered the same information and again got no result

Then I entered extend.dat and found that there is one file and the location is: C;|Documents and Settings\a\local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I will delete this file.

I searched on google for delete extend.dat file and got http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002090613375148

Now i will delete the file and reboot. I expect that this will work. If all else fails I guess I could go to control panel then add remove programs and uninstall microsoft office and then reinstall it. If I remember correctly though there is a limited number of reinstallations of this product? I'll reboot tomorrow and let you know what happens when I open up outlook. Would you let me know if uninstall and reinstall is a viable option or will I lose a critical reinstallation because of limited use from my office 2003 cd rom?

Diane,

Deleting the file extend.dat corrected the problem. The error message no longer appears. Thank you

I know this is an old problem, but I just installed Office 2007 on a new Win8.1 laptop and am seeing this error which I never saw on previous installations. I deleted the extend.dat file and the message still comes up when I restart Outlook. I also do not have this add-in listed in tools/trust center/add ins.

Did you use Easy Transfer to move stuff from your old computer to the new one? Did you install the old google desktop search application? That error is telling you that Outlook is trying to load the addin but it's not available. Easy Transfer or similar programs is the usual cause.

Did you use Easy Transfer to move stuff from your old computer to the new one? Did you install the old google desktop search application? That error is telling you that Outlook is trying to load the addin but it's not available. Easy Transfer or similar programs is the usual cause.
I did use PCMover to move my files over, but I wound up having to reinstall Office 2007 anyway on the new laptop. I did see that it is showing the Desktop search as "disabled" in outlook, but I still have not found a way to remove it.

BTW I am having a problem getting to this thread in Chrome on my 8.1 laptop at home as it keeps giving me a too many redirects error message. I can get here through IE8 on my old XP machine at work. Go figure ;)

On the redirects - still getting that error? We are working on adjusting the URL rewriting since moving to new forum software and had an error in one of the rewrite rules. It should be fixed now (we disabled that rule for now) but I've noticed that the browsers will often cache the results and reload the old page.

On to the real problem... it sounds like pc mover moved the desktop search application. Did you go into Tools, Trust Center, Addins and make sure it's not enabled? If it's listed there you need to uninstall it - deleting extend.dat only works for applications that aren't installed. Click Go, select the Google search addin then click Remove *should* work, but uninstalling it from the computer is better.

Is it listed as installed in Windows Control Panel, under Programs and Features? (Or press Windows key to bring up the start screen and type "Add remove software" on the Windows Start screen <== this is one of my favorite Win8 features, it's not quite as fast in Win8.1 because of the Everything search. :( )

On the redirects - still getting that error? We are working on adjusting the URL rewriting since moving to new forum software and had an error in one of the rewrite rules. It should be fixed now (we disabled that rule for now) but I've noticed that the browsers will often cache the results and reload the old page.

On to the real problem... it sounds like pc mover moved the desktop search application. Did you go into Tools, Trust Center, Addins and make sure it's not enabled? If it's listed there you need to uninstall it - deleting extend.dat only works for applications that aren't installed. Click Go, select the Google search addin then click Remove *should* work, but uninstalling it from the computer is better.

Is it listed as installed in Windows Control Panel, under Programs and Features? (Or press Windows key to bring up the start screen and type "Add remove software" on the Windows Start screen <== this is one of my favorite Win8 features, it's not quite as fast in Win8.1 because of the Everything search. :( )
On the redirects, I did not get a chance to try it at home since I got the message that they fixed this, but will try it later when I get home.
As for the Desktop thing, it is not listed in the add/remove area, and after much searching through the outlook tools...add-ins the only place I could find it is in a list of "disabled" add ins. I have searched everywhere on "This PC" and cannot find this application anywhere, nor can I find it in the registry as you have suggested earlier. It is a minor inconvenience, but it would be nice not to have it everytime I open outlook.
I am at work now and cannot access my laptop, but I will get back to this tonight.

Apparently they fixed the redirect problem.
The only reference I can see at all about the desktop add-in is under tools...add-ins I go to manage "exchange client extensions" and click go and I see the below which give me the option to install the desktop search add-in but not to remove it:
upload_2014-3-24_22-2-49.png

I have never chosen to install it.

I have found this file folder:
upload_2014-3-24_22-2-31.png

but all it has in it is this file:
upload_2014-3-24_22-2-21.png

Status
Not open for further replies.