Outlook yahoo POP3 outgoing messages are not reaching destination. Sometime the messages reach the

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Myross

For the past 2 weeks when I send email via Outlook 2003 or 2007 using POP3 yahoo.verizon.net configuration my messages takes between 2 hours/2 or 3 days to reach its destination. When sending messages via the web from my Verizon yahoo account which is connected to my Outlook email the messages reaches destination immediately. I'm not having any problem receiving messages via web or Outlook. Verizon already checked my settings and everything is correct. The problem appears to be with some type of update from Microsoft. This problem is happening on both of my PCs. Please help!

Try to remove and re-add the email account in Outlook and check if it helps.

If the above step fails, restart your computer in clean boot mode and try to send emails. This is to check if any non-Microsoft services are causing a conflict.

Refer the article below to start the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode by following Step 7, after completing the troubleshooting steps.

I removed and re added my email account around 3 times along with a clean boot before I posted my problem. I also removed Outlook and reinstalled the program several times. I reset my modem as well. I also removed the Microsoft updates that occurred 2 weeks ago when this problem started. I've done all of this to no avail. Now it appears none of my messages sent from Outlook are reaching its destination. I have no problem with sending messages via my yahoo account on the web.

I guess since this problem can't be resolved I may have to uninstall Microsoft Office and use another program to send and receive my messages.

Re: Outlook yahoo POP3 outgoing messages are not reaching destination. Someti

I removed and re added my email account around 3 times along with a clean boot before I posted my problem. I also removed Outlook and reinstalled the program several times. I reset my modem as well. I also removed the Microsoft updates that occurred 2 weeks ago when this problem started. I've done all of this to no avail. Now it appears none of my messages sent from Outlook are reaching its destination. I have no problem with sending messages via my yahoo account on the web.

I guess since this problem can't be resolved I may have to uninstall Microsoft Office and use another program to send and receive my messages.

I realise that this is a very old thread but I am currently experiencing an identical issue and wondered if you were ever able to resolve the problem.

Do the messages leave Outlook's Outbox? If so they were handed off the to SMTP server and the slowness is with the network, not Outlook.

If they take a long time to send, is it faster if you open Outlook in Safe mode? This could mean an antivirus scanner or another addin is causing problems.

To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.

Thanks for your assistance.

I have sent 2 emails in safe mode and both arrived immediately. I then sent an email in live mode and it also arrived immediately. However, on sending a 2nd email in live mode, it has not yet arrived and I suspect it will take a few hours.

I have noticed during previous attempts to repair this that, if I run a "repair" in "Account settings", it will send one message and then revert to delays for subsequent messages. This is really weird!

Some additional info to above which might assist in providing a solution

I have a high speed broadband connection running at approx 35mbs - just recently installed.

The current add-ins that are ticked are:

COMS

Microsoft Office Groove Proxy for Outlook Add-in

Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service

Microsoft VBA for Add in

OneNote Notes about Outlook items

Outlook exchange notifier

EXCHANGE CLIENT EXTENSIONS

exchange extensions property pages

Could any or all of these add-ins be unchecked?

Thanks again

Change Notifier is used by iTunes. If you don't sync with an apple device using iTunes, that can be disabled. Since you use pop3, you can disable exchange property extension and I'm guessing you probably aren't using Groove.

The mobile service is to send text messages through an SMS service. That can be disabled if you aren't using it.

If you don't use the Onenote button in Outlook to link notes to appointments etc, you can disable it.

VBA is used for programming. If you aren't using macros, you could disable it.

Latest info re attempts to fix this problem are as follows:

I have unchecked all add-ins

Result - no change

I disabled Norton Internet Security temporarily

Result - no change

I ran a full test with the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Result - no malware or viruses found

I set up a new Outlook account profile

Result - no change.

One thing I have discovered and I don't know if it's relevant or points to something else. I checked the time delay on 3 recent e-mails I sent to myself. They all took precisely 4hr 36min from sending to arriving in my inbox!

I assume that since Outlook seems to be OK in "Safe Mode" then the Internet connection is no longer an issue?

Any other suggestions will be very gratefully received. I really don't want to give up on Outlook, it has served me very well over many years.

Having exhausted all possible issues with Outlook I came to the conclusion that the problem must somehow be linked to my internet connection. I contacted my provider (BT Yahoo) again and, after some 2 hours discussion with a number of advisers, I eventually spoke to someone who, after conducting various tests with both Outlook and Yahoo, informed me that the problem is with the server. Not only that, but it was a recognised issue!

BT Yahoo is a Joint Venture between British Telecom and Yahoo and they are currently in the process of splitting apart. The delays, which only started occuring about 5 days ago, are to do with migration between both servers and should be resolved within a few days.

I was furious that a known issue has not been properly conveyed to their customers and have written to them in this regard.

I can only apologise for setting you off on a wild goose chase looking for Outlook issues and thank you Diane Poremsky for all your help. If you hadn't responded as you did I would not have been so convinced of the fact that the server was the problem and BT Yahoo would probably have continued to deny any responsibility.

Sheesh. It's not the first time Yahoo has pulled this - a couple of years ago they told AT&T customers the problem with on the customer side, when it was a server problem.

As for the wild goose chase - someone in the same boat will likely find this post and be helped by it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.