Disable the To-Do Bar permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm using Outlook 2010 64-bit in Windows 7 Ultimate. I've tried turning off the To-Do Bar by changing the To-Do Bar setting to Off in the View tab. However, when I change from 'Normal' view to 'Reading' view (in the lower right corner of Outlook), or vice-versa, the To-Do Bar re-appears. The setting then reverts back to 'Norma' or 'Minimized' under the View tab. This happens consistently without fail. I have re-installed Office 2010 both 32-bit and 64-bit and I get the same results. I have even tried Windows 7 32-bit and still I cannot get rid of the To-Do Bar permanently. It always comes back when I change views from 'Normal' to 'Reading' or vice-versa. I haven't seen this issue discussed since most users think the To-Do bar is the best thing since sliced bread. I disagree, it's more trouble than help, since it takes up reading space! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom tkrk@sbcglobal.net

BTW, why not just toggle the navigation pane open and closed? Same effort - almost the same view (the ribbon doesn't minimize).

BTW, why not just toggle the navigation pane open and closed? Same effort - almost the same view (the ribbon doesn't minimize).

If I wanted to add more effort (keystrokes) to my Outlook experience I wouldn't have bothered with the post. I would simply turn the To-Do Bar off after I read every message sent to me. This is not an option.

How hard should it be to turn off permanently the To-Do Bar?

Tom

I didn't think anyone used those views. <g> I think its "by design" but will check with the developers to find out if there is a way to disable the to-do bar permanently.

Diane,

Think about what you said. If there is a setting in the View tab in Outlook to turn off the To-Do Bar, why in God's name would its re-appearing be 'by design'. Come on now, you can do better than that!

Tom

I think its by design - the buttons are preprogrammed shortcuts. But I'm waiting to hear back about a reg hack. I had to send a screen shot of the buttons... So I don't think the buttons get a lot of notice, even among the team.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Thanks, Diane. This issue has been driving me up the wall. When I want to expand the message to read it, then go back to 'Normal' view', the To-Do Bar always re-appears. If the programmers designed it that way, why would there be an 'Off' option in the 'View' tab??? Doesn't make any sense to me. Again, I appreciate the time and effort you are giving this issue!

Tom

The command is a (three way) toggle, not a global 'never show again' switch. You can do the same using Alt+F2.

AFAIK, the button is programmed for 'set to-do, navigation pane, and ribbon to Normal view", not "restore my previous settings" - so the behavior is expected.

What you need is a reg key for DisableToDoBar, value data 1 so its off permanently. I'm waiting to hear if one exists.

Using Alt+F1 (or the restore/minimize button at the top) to hide the nav pane might be less frustrating. (Ctrl+F1 will minimize the ribbon.)

Diane,

Alt-F1 only toggle the Folders Off/On. It has no effect whatsoever on the To-Do Bar. Likewise, Ctl-F1 only toggles the Ribbon On/Off. It also has no effect whatsoever on the To-Do Bar. After all, that's what this thread is all about.....getting rid of the To-Do Bar. I hope you can find a Registry hack. Thanks.

Try Alt+F2 for the to-do - but rather than using the status bar buttons (and Alt+F2 to fix the to-do), just turn the navigation pane off and on when you need more reading room. (The to-do will be off already and remain off.) It's not a perfect solution, but until i hear back, it should be less annoying than using the buttons.

Try Alt+F2 for the to-do - but rather than using the status bar buttons (and Alt+F2 to fix the to-do), just turn the navigation pane off and on when you need more reading room. (The to-do will be off already and remain off.) It's not a perfect solution, but until i hear back, it should be less annoying than using the buttons.

Okay, I'll use the Alt+F2 fix for now. You realize the way it should work is: I should be able to toggle the view from 'Reading' to 'Normal' (using the lower-right icons) without the To-Do Bar ever showing it's ugly face!

I'll await a Reg. hack. Thank you, again, Diane.

Don't hold your breath, as i'm not sure there is a reg hack... :)

Sad news... no reg hack to disable it perm. :(

So unbelievable! I can't believe that Microsoft programmers don't have the intelligence to disable the To-Do bar in Outlook 2010 permanently. What in God's name does the To-Do bar have to do with the 'Reading/Normal' pane when displaying a message??????????????? Not a darn thing!!!!!!!!! When there is a setting for 'Off' in the To-Do bar settings, I, and every normal person who breathes oxygen on planet Earth, believes that the To-Do bar should, by every logical thinking human, S T A Y O F F !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I wrong? I don't think so.

The command is a (three way) toggle, not a global 'never show again' switch. You can do the same using Alt+F2.

AFAIK, the button is programmed for 'set to-do, navigation pane, and ribbon to Normal view", not "restore my previous settings" - so the behavior is expected.

What you need is a reg key for DisableToDoBar, value data 1 so its off permanently. I'm waiting to hear if one exists.

Using Alt+F1 (or the restore/minimize button at the top) to hide the nav pane might be less frustrating. (Ctrl+F1 will minimize the ribbon.)

Diane, I just installed Office 2013. In Outlook 2013, the To-Do Bar works as it should: that is, when you turn if off, it STAYS OFF!!! Even when you toggle from 'Reading' mode to 'Normal' and back again. Sounds like everyone was afraid to say that Micro$oft could have made a mistake, doesn't it. I think so. Tom

Yeah, pinned peeks work differently than the to-do bar. The one thing (and the only thing) i like about pinned peeks is that they are per folder type. I can turn tasks on in mail and not see it in contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.