Can't use "manage linking and tracking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

remco_p

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
The situation:

We got our database on a desktop. A laptop in the same network uses this database remotely.

The problem:

In Business Contact Manager 2010 we can't open "manage linking and tracking" in "file --> business contact manager" on the desktop. It says:

"Business Contact Manager for Outlook could not complete your last action or actions. Please try again."

Does someone know how to deal with this so we can set the "manage linking and tracking" settings?

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to roll this out as an alternative solution to MS Dynamics Online.

I've been through some tech support from MS and we determined that I had too many nested folders in my profile and I should clean it up. I did so, ensured my mailbox size was under 2GB, ensured my OST was error free (SCANPST), created a new outlook profile and it seemed to fix the problem. I was able to use 'Link and Track'. Unfortunately, it was short lived and I came in the next day only to find the problem had returned. I repeated the above procedure and it worked again, until this morning! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Has anyone experienced this and found a REAL fix? This is really, really discouraging. Between custom form setup, SQL server issues, permissions and this problem I've spent around 50hours messing around with this thing and want to know if I should just bite the bullet and go to Dynamics.

If I can get this problem fixed BCM 2010 is a perfect solution for us, but if I can't keep one simple feature running I fear investing more time and effort.

Any help would be appreciated. BCM 2010 log of failed event below:

John

[E] [10:03:44.1734101]BCMRes: The client operation failed.

[E] [10:03:44.1734101]BCMRes: at Microsoft.Interop.Mapi.CGlobals.QueryAllRows(IMAPITable Table, PropTag[] PropTagArray, IRestriction Restriction, SortOrderSet SortCriteria, Int32 RowCount)

at Microsoft.Interop.Mapi.Globals.QueryAllRows(IMAPITable Table, PropTag[] PropTagArray, IRestriction Restriction, SortOrderSet SortCriteria, Int32 RowCount)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.MapiChangeTracker.Folder.InitSubFolders()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.EmailAutoAssociator.Folder..ctor(EmailAutoAssociator eaa, Folder mctFolder)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.EmailAutoAssociator.GetRootFolderList()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.EmailTrackingDialog.BuildFolderTree()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.EmailTrackingDialog.EmailTracking_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

To comment on the tech support... you have Outlook 2010. It supports well over 2 GB pst files (mine is 5 GB). The OST file should not be a problem either. How many nested folders? While i don't recommend nested folders and certainly not more than a level or two down, they should not cause a problem with BCM unless they are really deep - outlook is sometimes funky with long paths - i think under like 256 characters is ok- but this includes the ost path too, so you can knock off about 100 characters to start.

Back to the real problem - it sounds like either the net framwork or the BCM install is messed up. I would start with repairing both.

The situation:

We got our database on a desktop. A laptop in the same network uses this database remotely.

The problem:

In Business Contact Manager 2010 we can't open "manage linking and tracking" in "file --> business contact manager" on the desktop. It says:

"Business Contact Manager for Outlook could not complete your last action or actions. Please try again."

Does someone know how to deal with this so we can set the "manage linking and tracking" settings?

Did it ever work correctly on the second machine?

Can the second computer connect to the database ok otherwise? View data, create records etc. What addins do you have installed?

Did you check the cache at %localappdata%\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\Cache ? Delete it and see if it helps.

I too am experiencing the same issue and stumbled across this thread. Basically, clicking on Manage Linking and Tracking from either the BCM menu or from a contact's ribbon produces the error message: Business Contact Manager for Outlook could not complete your last action or actions. Please try again. [gee thanks!] Clicking on OK opens the Manage Linking and Tracking dialogue, but all of the fields are blank (E-mail and Folders). To resolve this issue I have tried repairing Outlook, BCM, and .NET as well as deleting the Cache. Out of options that typically solve problems like this and growing increasingly frustrated with BCM and my choice (years ago) to make it my primary CRM software. This is what shows up in my log that I believe is related to the error:

[E] [18:08:02.0712890]BCMRes: Unknown error

[E] [18:08:02.0712890]BCMRes: at Microsoft.Interop.Mapi.CGlobals.QueryAllRows(IMAPITable Table, PropTag[] PropTagArray, IRestriction Restriction, SortOrderSet SortCriteria, Int32 RowCount)

at Microsoft.Interop.Mapi.Globals.QueryAllRows(IMAPITable Table, PropTag[] PropTagArray, IRestriction Restriction, SortOrderSet SortCriteria, Int32 RowCount)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.MapiChangeTracker.Folder.InitSubFolders()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.MapiChangeTracker.Folder.get_Folders()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.EmailAutoAssociator.Folder..ctor(EmailAutoAssociator eaa, Folder mctFolder)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils.BackgroundTasks.EmailAutoAssociator.GetRootFolderList()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.EmailTrackingDialog.BuildFolderTree()

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.EmailTrackingDialog.EmailTracking_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

As an aside, why on earth is the [Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\Logs folder 9.54GB large?

Ok... I think I figured this out. iCloud. I was thinking about the add-ins / controls I had installed recently and realized that I had messed around with the iCloud Outlook integration and placed my iCloud Calendar in Outlook. Since it was more of a 'let's see if this works and maybe I'll use it down the road' sort of thing I decided to just uninstall the iCloud control panel entirely and low and behold, Manage Linking and Tracking works perfectly fine again.

Please help!

I have the same problem. I have it on my 64 bit desktop as well as 32bit XP laptop.

I do not have iCloud. I have Office365 hosted account with 1 mailbox.

Thanks.

BCM is not supported with office 365. most of the features work but i don't recall testing this - I'll check it over the weekend. In the meantime, try disabling all non-Microsoft addins and see if it helps.

BCM is not supported with office 365. most of the features work but i don't recall testing this - I'll check it over the weekend. In the meantime, try disabling all non-Microsoft addins and see if it helps.

Thanks you so much Diane - I will save you some time, and your weekend as well.

For people in the similar situation, I followed other people on thoughts of BCM not supporting multiple exchange mailboxes in the same account.

It turns out I had 'Archive' setting enabled on the account, which creates the 'Archive Mailbox'. Office 365 Archive policies do not work in the conventional sense, so this mailbox was empty.

I disabled this 'Mailbox' and it Managing linking and tracking works. Boy, these Office 365 exchange settings are wierd.
I have been using the BCM 2010 functionality. So I do not know what you mean by not supported.

Thanks again for the kind gesture.

Amir

I use BCM with an office365 account too... officially, it's not supported. That doesn't mean it won't work, but if there are problems, Microsoft won't help. I'm sure some of the reason they won't support it is because of what you discovered - that the exchange settings are weird and can affect BCM features.

I use BCM with an office365 account too... officially, it's not supported. That doesn't mean it won't work, but if there are problems, Microsoft won't help. I'm sure some of the reason they won't support it is because of what you discovered - that the exchange settings are weird and can affect BCM features.

It is really sad...Time and time again...Microsoft fails to deliver an integrated experience. Products can be nerdy with all fancy features, but when they do not integrate, they look half baked.

Hence, the company gets left behind most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.