Making Outlook Default folders to local/personal instead of Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarathrustra

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Is it possible to have Outlook use my pc for info instead of Hotmail (used as the default for Calendar, Contacts) please?

If you have a pst file in your profile and set it as default in File, Account Settings, Data files it will use it as the default. However, any appointments you create while viewing Hotmail will go into the hotmail calendar unless you move it.

Thank you for that. I didn't know either what a 'profile' was; now I do - and that's helpful.

Alas, when I then attempt to synchronise with my phone, an old problem comes back - I need to "update folder mapping". I've never been able to find out what that means nor how to do it. Is that something you can help with by any chance?

Kind regards, Z

What phone do you use? I know this can happen with blackberry phones - go into the advanced sync settings in the Desktop Manager and verify the folders selected for synchronization match the folders you are using in Outlook.

You got me in one - Blackberry it is.

Alas, I cannot get to the 'advanced' in settings; I'm just told (when I try to do that) that "one or more configured folders is not available and to update folder mapping". Drives me nutty - this has been going on for months. Neither my phone company nor Blackberry know a solution (claiming it's a Hotmail/MS issue - which it does seem to be).

Are you using the Outlook Hotmail Connector or POP3 to hotmail? I'm not sure you can sync the phone with Hotmail Connector, but one suggested solution I am aware of is to uninstall the Blackberry desktop and reinstall it and reconfigure the BB. I have not tried that solution though, so I don't know if it will work or is just a waste of time.

Thanks; it's really good of you to try to help out like this.

I've disconnected from Hotmail - which I never wanted anyway.

I've tried the uninstall/re-install - of both the Blackberry stuff and Outlook. Still the same old problems.

I appreciate your attempt to help, and that we've come to the end of the road of your (and mine - long since) expertise.

For such a seemingly simply problem, it is odd that no-one knows how to fix it. Damn hotmail for taking over my Outlook. It did work OK for quite a while, then some wonder Hotmail update did all this. Heh ho. Time for a new phone.

Thanks again.

Did you try a new profile in Outlook? I'll try and repro this with my old BB and get the exact steps you need to use - if I can do it without screwing things up on my new BB (which uses BES).

Thanks again. I did try to set up a new profile, but either I don't understand it or it is not possible now that I've deleted the Hotmail one. Tho' I have a .pst file (as well as the archive.pst), this is not 'seen' as .pst. This IanOutlookDataFile.pst is rejected as a .pst file.

I then attempted to repair my MS Office, hoping this would reset Outlook. It ran all night, but was really just hung up half-way through.

It boggles my mind how something that is so important can be so difficult to arrange. But that's computers.

Thanks for your offer to try on your old BB; but I suspect you may cause more problems for yourself, so best not.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Making iCloud the default calendar for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
R Making Outlook default client in share charm Using Outlook 4
C Why does Outlook (desktop) 365 for Windows keep making me input my passwords? Using Outlook 12
V Making a Date field mandatory in outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Outlook 2019 having issues with 'people search' and not making suggestions in email To: etc Using Outlook 12
T Outlook 2003 - Making a distribution list from a contact folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Making custom Outlook 2007 folders emptiable like "Deleted Items" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
CWM030 Thinking about making the plunge. Exchange Server Administration 6
M Making Subject field writable (disable Read Only) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Making rule to move email to folder from one O365 domain Using Outlook 1
Michael R Belleville Making an Attachment Name the Message Subject Using Outlook 2
Pierce007 Maps/location in making an appointment Using Outlook 2
D No Follow up when making new form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Safeguards against accidental deletion / making inactive. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Need help making RULE to prepend email SUBJECT Using Outlook 3
J Making field editable in custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about Outlook 2021 and Gmail Using Outlook 7
J Outlook VBA to send from Non-default Account & Data Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Limited Support for 3rd Party Mail in new Outlook? Using Outlook 1
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar? Using Outlook 5
T Outlook is categorizing emails incorrectly Using Outlook 1
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 3
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10