Status
Not open for further replies.

igrokit

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
hi there,

I am using Outlook for business and Thunderbird for personal use.

In Thunderbird I am using a really great add-on called Nostalgy. I wonder if there is a similar tool for Outlook or if something like Nostalogy could be done with VBA.

In Thunderbird, when reading a message I can hit the s key and a input line opens. I start typing a folder name and I'm presented with a (autocompleted) list of all folders containing the typed string in the foldername. I can then select the folder with the cursor keys and when I press enter, the message is moved to this folder. With the letter g I jump to that folder. Nostalgy remembers my joices based on some algorythms that analyze the mail header (I think). I can also set the preferred folder based on any kind of email header information. For example, the letter S would directly save the message to the shown preferred folder.

This is a great timesaver, since I do not have to navigate through the whole message store to find the folder I need. There are other functions, but s, S and g are the ones I use most.

From the home page of the tool:
Nostalgy is an extension for Mozilla Thunderbird whose purpose is to save time by doing more operations with the keyboard. If you want to use Thunderbird without sacrificing the productivity you had with good old mutt/pine, this extension is for you!

Nostalgy adds keyboard shortcuts to change the current folder, to move/copy selected messages into another folder, to add/remove/view tags; the selection of the target folder is made through an auto-completion box where you can type part of the folder name. There are also commands to improve the navigation between Thunderbird's three panes.

It would be great to have such a tool also for Outlook.

Could it be done with VBA?

Thanks

Daniel

Did you find anything interesting? I'm a frustrated new Outlook user who once said while using Thunderbird "I couldn't live without the Nostalgy plugin". Now I think I'm gonna die...

Seriously, that Nostalgy plugin for Thunderbird must have saved me somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes a day for the past four years. I badly need to find something similar in Outlook.

Thanks.

hi there,

I am using Outlook for business and Thunderbird for personal use.

In Thunderbird I am using a really great add-on called Nostalgy. I wonder if there is a similar tool for Outlook or if something like Nostalogy could be done with VBA.

In Thunderbird, when reading a message I can hit the s key and a input line opens. I start typing a folder name and I'm presented with a (autocompleted) list of all folders containing the typed string in the foldername. I can then select the folder with the cursor keys and when I press enter, the message is moved to this folder. With the letter g I jump to that folder. Nostalgy remembers my joices based on some algorythms that analyze the mail header (I think). I can also set the preferred folder based on any kind of email header information. For example, the letter S would directly save the message to the shown preferred folder.

This is a great timesaver, since I do not have to navigate through the whole message store to find the folder I need. There are other functions, but s, S and g are the ones I use most.

From the home page of the tool:

It would be great to have such a tool also for Outlook.

Could it be done with VBA?

Thanks

Daniel

SimplyFile - absolutely the best. 50$ but well worth it as it suggests folders to file your messages by scanning previous messages. Works with exchange server well, gmail and imap dpesn't play nice with it though.

Yeah, I'm using SimplyFile since more than a year now. SimplyFile is simply cool! And well worth the investment!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
sophievldn Looking for a macro that moves completed items from subfolders to other subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
C Looking for feedback on new Outlook Add-in Using Outlook 0
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
G Looking for help with our Organization Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
peacepanda How to save attachment looking at the attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Looking to move away from exchange to outlook.com Using Outlook 4
B Looking for Outlook 2013 update for Send Drafts Macro Using Outlook 4
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
M Looking for trainer in Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O looking to bring in all my folders from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
B Looking for an add-in or a way to send automatic replies based off a list Using Outlook 2
R Outlook Template: Looking to distribute a VBA Outlook template to other people Using Outlook 1
J Looking for a solution (maybe an add-in) to easily track email conversations Using Outlook 3
Q Looking for Outlook 2010 Close Event Id Exchange Server Administration 1
C Looking for way to tie a Business Contact to more than one Account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J OL2003 Macro disables itself - looking for way to automate 'enable' Using Outlook 2
R Looking for my BCM backup files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Looking for email address under ItemSend event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Looking for client-side method (Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007) for users to delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Looking for a Utility for Editting An Exported Rules (.rwz) File Using Outlook 6
P Outlook looking for Copy of Outlook.pst Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U looking for feedback on installation process and on eMarking Assis Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Tasks & Productivity in Outlook Using Outlook 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Outlook 2021 Add Picture to Custom Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2019 Custom outlook Add-in using Visual Studio Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G automatically choosing "add to autocorrect" option Using Outlook 0
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
K Add an entry to a specific calendar Using Outlook 1
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 365 Add keywords from Listbox to the message body where cursor is placed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Add Day Number of the year for 2023-2033 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 10
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
V How to add 'Previous Item' and 'Next Item' to the Quick Access Toolbar Using Outlook 1
Commodore Safe way to add or update holidays; Windows Notifications issue Using Outlook 8
kkqq1122 How would I add Search for attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L did MS ever add way to text via Outlook Using Outlook 5
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
M add new attendee to existing meetings with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5