looking to bring in all my folders from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

outjim13

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
To any, I just graduated from an XP machine to a Win7 workstation with Outlook 2013 (32bit). I know there is something with copying the .dbx files and putting them into a special location, but that was with Windows Live Mail. I never really got that far when I decided to go straight to Outlook (cause I had it for free). So, if anyone could point out how to make that happen, I would appreciate it. It seems Windows Live Mail is all set up to grab those .dbx files, but when I try to Import in Outlook, there is no "Import from Outlook Express" option, and the only other option that seems viable is looking for .pst files. Thanks, Jim L

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Re: looking to bring in all my folders from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 20

On the old computer (with Outlook Express) install Outlook 2003. Let it create a new .PST file in "Microsoft Office Outlook 2003-2007 Personal Folders - UniCode Format" format (if asked to choose).

Inside Outlook 2003, import Outlook Express (contacts and emails) which it should detect and be able "to see" on this machine.

You can even setup Accounts and use-it/test-it if you want. Close Outlook and backup that PST file to safe location.

Install Outlook 2003 (or whole Office 2003 suite) on new computer. Patch to SP3. You might have to un-install from old PC or call Microsoft before it will Activate with CoA.

Restore PST to new computer and setup as default file. I suggest a common place like "\My Documents\Outlook_Data\". Setup email accounts and test. I suggest option "Leave on Server for 14 days" if you have other devices like smart-phone.

If you only want to move Contacts from old OutlookExpress ... you can just install Outlook 2003 on new machine (and create a fresh PST file). Export Contacts (likely in .WAB or .CSV file format) from old OE and Import into Outlook2003 on new machine.

Accounts can't be exported from/to Outlook2003 so don't even try. Just write down settings and be ready to re-create the accounts as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
G Looking for help with our Organization Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
peacepanda How to save attachment looking at the attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Looking for help - want to try an alternative to Outlook? Outlook Wishlist 0
D Looking to move away from exchange to outlook.com Using Outlook 4
B Looking for Outlook 2013 update for Send Drafts Macro Using Outlook 4
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
M Looking for trainer in Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
B Looking for an add-in or a way to send automatic replies based off a list Using Outlook 2
R Outlook Template: Looking to distribute a VBA Outlook template to other people Using Outlook 1
J Looking for a solution (maybe an add-in) to easily track email conversations Using Outlook 3
I Looking for a productivity add-in similar to "Nostalgy" for Thunderbird Using Outlook 5
Q Looking for Outlook 2010 Close Event Id Exchange Server Administration 1
C Looking for way to tie a Business Contact to more than one Account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J OL2003 Macro disables itself - looking for way to automate 'enable' Using Outlook 2
U Looking for a person/company that we can PAY for Outlook 2003 tech service Using Outlook 0
T I am looking for a Microsoft Outlook Email Stationery download? Using Outlook 5
P Looking for Christmas Theme (thmx file) Using Outlook 5
D Microsoft Outlook not operating and is clouded looking Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 at odd times shuts down then states it is looking for problem then starts up again Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2003 (when looking at emails shows my name and not who sent the emails) Using Outlook 2
W "Looking for credential tiles..." when connecting to Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook wont load - looking for microsoft exchange Using Outlook 1
M I am looking for support options for taskmanager in 2010 Using Outlook 1
P Looking for suggestions regarding a multi-site high availability/disaster resistant design Exchange Server Administration 1
S Looking for feedback on this CAS Array testing plan Exchange Server Administration 2
R Complicated mixed exchange environment, looking to move to 2010! Exchange Server Administration 8
C Looking for Collaboration / Communication Tools Using Outlook 4
R Looking for my BCM backup files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Looking for email address under ItemSend event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Looking for client-side method (Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007) for users to delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Looking for a Utility for Editting An Exported Rules (.rwz) File Using Outlook 6
P Outlook looking for Copy of Outlook.pst Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U looking for feedback on installation process and on eMarking Assis Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M I don't want to bring old mail .. Using Outlook 1
J Bring back the Reminder Bell on Appointments Outlook Wishlist 4
M Bring back Active tasks for selected days Outlook Wishlist 1
S Programmatically bring up Advanced Find for contacts? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 6
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
C Synchronizing subscribed folders causes hanging during send/receive process Using Outlook 2
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
A Custom VBA to sort emails into folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
R The way expand/collapse folders is actually meant to work? Using Outlook 2
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5