downloading email pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughW

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
MyOutlook 2013 is not showing images that are embedded in emails.

Irecently bought a new Dell Vostro with windows 7, 64 bit, and a trial version Office2013.

Itried the trial version of office 2013 and it worked, I could see the imagesembedded in emails.

I thenpurchased Office 2013 home and business and uninstalled the trial versionand installed the purchased version.

It allseems to be working OK but there are no images in my received emails.

Thereare no red X signs in the boxes they are just blank.

I havetried File / options / trust center / trust center settings / don’t downloadpictures automatically, which has no effect.

And I have also trieddeleting and recreated my email profile.

Any ideas?

Try the solutions offered here - Red X's in Email Messages - Slipstick Systems - I'm guessing there is come corruption in the 'securetemp' folder, either in the folder itself or in the registry key.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not appear to have a;-

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\8A0VMD3A

The "Temporary internet files" folder is missing.

I also did a search for "shell:cashe" and found nothing.

How bad is this?

Hugh

I also did a search for "shell:cashe" and found nothing.

is that a typo? It should be shell:cache.

you may also need to show hidden files and folders - in win7, it's on Organize > Folder and Search Options and in Win8, its on the view tab (on the right side)

paste this is the address bar of windows explorer then press enter (its the same as using shell:cache)

%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

I have found;-

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet Files\

But there is no folder called "Content.Outlook"

There are two grayed out folders Content.MSO and and a Content.Word but no Content.Outlook.

Regards,

Hugh

That is the right place to look.

Open the registry editor and check here - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Security
- value is called outlooksecuretempfolder. Right click and delete the value then restart outlook.

I am in the right folder, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\O utlook\Security, but there is no "outlooksecuretempfolder".

There are only three entries;-

InitEncrypt

InitSign

Would it help if I uninstalled and reinstalled and deleted any other Outlook folders?

I have also noticed that no emails are being sent to the junk email folder.

Thanks,

You have two choices, not sure which will work the best - uninstall office, use the fix it at Uninstall Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365 to make sure its cleaned up then reinstall or just use the Repair option in add/remove programs.

I generally recommend using repair, but since you may have a second version, it may not work. That said, I would probably start with the full repair option and see if it works.

I ran the uninstall fix it.

rebooted, then re installed office.

Still got the same problem, I can't see images in emails.

And I have checked the Trust center settings.

What are you using for antivirus? I'm told mcafee antivirus/antispam can cause this problem.

Well, that is definitely not the cause. :(

Perhaps something is switched off that should be switched on in the OS.

I only re-installed Win7 a week or two ago.

Since then an Autodesk technician has fiddled about with it remotely for 3 hours getting backburner working.

In the process of which he disabled IPV6 so it is now running IPV4.

Could that effect it?

Or he might have disabled something else as well.

I have found the culprit.

"Show Picture Place Holders" was checked.

Now to find out how much humble pie a guy can eat.

But it is odd that they put a check box that determines how received email is displayed hidden behind an outgoing email.

Thanks for your help.

Hugh

You'll have a lot of company at the humble pie table :)

That is not checked by default, so its hard to say why it was enabled. You can get to that setting from the Editor options button an open message too (options, mail, editor options, advanced) - you can't get to it from the main Options dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.