Research Pane in Emails Turns on and Cut Paste Keys then Stop Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

makinmyway

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
When I am working with the cut and paste short cut keys highlighting text from a contact every 30 minutes or so I somehow open the Research pane in an email and then am no longer able to use the shortcut keys in Outlook used to cut and paste. The same shortcut keys work outside Outlook say in Firefox but only by shutting down Outlook and restarting it can I again use the shortcut keys in Outlook. This is very frustrating as I work with Outlook constantly and it's a bother to re-open all of the windows I need open in Outlook.

How can I prevent this from happening? Am I hitting a key stroke combination that is causing this? Alternatively, how can I disable the Research Pane altogether?

Note, I have a Microsoft Sculpt Mobile bluetooth keyboard and it has Window 8 keys as the primary function for all of the F1-F12 keys. To use a typical function key with this keyboard I need to hold the ALT key.

Just closing the research pane doesn't change the behavior? Are you using Ctrl+X and V for cut and paste or another set of shortcuts?

Thanks for replying! No, you're right I can close the pane but and I forgot to mention this, once it starts (appears) if I close the pane it reappears if I click anywhere on the body of the email. And yes it's using CTRL+X that seems to do it. That or sliding my mouse down to scroll the text up in the body of an email (that started happening today). It's so confusing. And like I said it only affects Outlook and I can't seem to end the problem until I close Outlook and re-open it again (only to have this happen again within 30 minutes).

Maybe this has something to do with instructions I have read for opening the Research Pane. Microsoft says to click on a word while holding the ALT key. Maybe I am hitting nearby keys or the keyboard is activating ALT key for some reason?

I'm assuming that is what you are doing, but I'll see if i can repro. One possibility is that a mouse button is set as Alt and you're bumping that.

Happened again and I decided to turn off and then back on the bluetooth Microsoft Sculpt Mobile keyboard. Turning it off, reopens the Research Pane! Clearly it's connected to the keyboard. Outlook and this keyboard do not always play well together. I'm not sure there is a solution apart from another keyboard. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Removing "Research" menu item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Automatically adjust Outlook Reading Pane from bottom to right depending on portrait or landscape window Using Outlook 1
J Increase read pane font size, but NOT image size? Using Outlook 3
S Navigation Pane Location And Options Using Outlook 19
S Folder Pane Colour Categories Using Outlook 6
C Can't Locate an Unread Message in my Outlook view pane Using Outlook 0
lcarpay Stay in the mail folder pane after ctrl-1 Using Outlook 1
bhamberg Shortcuts in Folder Pane (Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 19
D Outlook launch email showing new unread email in reading pane Using Outlook 11
D cannot view emails in View pane (in the right pane), I only see one line or nothing Using Outlook 21
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How can I change the font size on right side appointment pane Using Outlook 12
P Shortcut Pane - add shortcut to Office365 group mailbox Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 365 - Folder pane list clears Using Outlook 28
P Add, remove, & reorder folder pane Using Outlook 6
R Folder pane width change Using Outlook 90
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
C Custom Form (seperate layout pages and message reading pane) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Reading Pane for Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
llama_thumper Composingemails in reading pane Using Outlook 1
O Reading Pane safety Using Outlook 0
R Call a Public Sub when a Flag is clicked on in the Message Preview pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 bottom reading pane has disappeared Using Outlook 2
N Wide Line Spacing in Folder pane 2016 Using Outlook 18
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
GregS What controls content of Folder Pane? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2016 Will Not Show Any Data In the People Pane Using Outlook 17
T Remove Old Location From Tasks Pane Using Outlook 1
P Auto scroll to specific folder in Folder Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Current View Pane for Contacts missing from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
R Toggle the Reading Pane using Keyboard Shortcut Using Outlook 0
O Folder Pane problems Using Outlook 5
R New Links on Navigation Pane, How to Remove? Using Outlook 1
evdbogaard How to dock the Styles Task Pane in the e-mail editing window? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Outlook People Pane - Sent Mail Using Outlook 1
T Format Reading Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Diane Poremsky Outlook's Folder Navigation Pane Disappears Using Outlook 2
W Showing more months in the Calendar nav pane Using Outlook 10
H What Controls what is shown in the preview pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Auto Preview Attachment in Inspector Reading Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Calendar view problems with reading pane open Using Outlook 0
E Reading Pane has disappeared Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 - Reading Pane and To Do Bar Settings Not Saved on Exit Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Excel Files Won't Display in Reading Pane Using Outlook 1
S How can I Customize Message Header in both Reading Pane and Open Message Design? Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007: how to narrow the reading pane and the composing pane Using Outlook 0
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
D Mail accounts don't show up in navigation pane Using Outlook 1
J Copy email from preview pane with headers Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Navigation Pane selection with shortcuts Using Outlook 2