Outlook 365 - Folder pane list clears

Blofeld

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am using Outlook 365 on Windows 10 64bit all up to date with the latest updates.

My issue is that regularly (a number of times a day) the list of folders in the folder pane clears. Sometimes everything disappears, sometimes the odd folder remains. When I mouse over the list, it refreshes but often doesn't show the number of unread items in a folder. Sometimes clicking on a visible folder refreshes the whole list, sometimes not. The only sure way the refresh the list properly is to select, say the calendar, and then return to mail. This has been happening for months and I have been trawling the internet for a solution, but I have seen nothing similar. There is nothing weird about my set up that I am aware of. I have 6 IMAP accounts listed along with the default Outlook.

Recently I was forced into doing a clean install of Windows 10 and a fresh install of Office 365 to go with it. I was sure that would cure any glitches that had crept into the machine, but NO, shortly after installing afresh it came back. Here is an image of the partial list:

Any suggestions as to what is going on here and how to stop it?

Blofeld

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
So, this has been viewed over 100 times with no 'me too' posts - I guess this is maybe a one off. Actually when I said that I did a clean install I actually did a reset whilst keeping files and settings, so not totally clean and I suppose whatever caused this glitch has survived the reset and is something that I am going to have to live with until I do a proper clean install :-(

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The symptoms point to a corrupt navpane. The fix is opening outlook with the /resetnavpane switch, which wipes out any customizations. Or rename the file so you can see if the profile is solved by a new navpane. It's and xml named for your profile at %appdata%\microsoft\outlook

Close Outlook. Right-click on the Start button and choose Run or press Windows key + R to open the Run command. Type or paste the following into the Open field and press Enter or click OK to restart Outlook. (There is a space before /.)

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Note: This will wipe out all folders on Favorites in Mail module and reset the Calendar and Contacts modules to the default format.

Blofeld

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Diane,

I think that I have tried all the suitable switches for Outlook previously. I used /resetnavpane as you suggested and it seemed to work for a while, but just now the pane cleared again. Is the use of the switch a one-off or do you need to do it regularly or even on every initial startup of Outlook by modifying the shortcut? I might try the file renaming and see if that has a more permanent effect.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
it's one-off - so you'd need to do it regularly or figure out what is causing it to become corrupt.

Blofeld

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
So, I did the rename of the profile .xml file and that lasted about 30 minutes :-( So irritating!